Home

Any suggestions on a trapping side by side?

Posted By: swamp donkey

Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 03:45 PM

I'm looking to buy a side by side atv. My current research tells me that a polaris 570 might be the ticket. Anybody have any thoughts and experience they'd like to impart on a side by side? Comfort is a must as my arthritic body gets a little sore on a conventional 4 wheeler. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: trapper4002

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 05:38 PM

I have a 570 very comfortable ride and adjustable shocks. get a windshield that is a great investment for chilly mornings.
Posted By: Alex the dog

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 05:43 PM

For me this is a wide open question and a lot hinges on what are your other intended uses for the machine. Kubota and Kawasaki make solid work machines but they don't expect to get somewhere fast (>30 mph), Rangers kind of cover all the bases but sacrifice a bit (build, capacity, towing) to be an all around machine. This is just my take too.

I run a 2009 Polaris Ranger 700 which is last year of the "full size" I believe. Use it for trapping in a 5 mile radius of home. With up sized tires I'll top out just shy of 55 mph which is plenty fast for me and I can cover some acres with it quickly which i like with checks before work at 6am. I don't need it to tow a ton, have a tractor for that. The trails I run thru the woods are generous enough for the Ranger, something else to consider when switching from a 4 wheeler.

I guess bottom line for me is what are the other uses your looking at and get the best fit for you.

Dave
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 05:55 PM

What year on the 570?

My 2016 mid sized 570 needed a air filter change with each tank of gas due to poor design on air intake. I didn't have any clearance either, granted the dessert is way different then the east coast. But found mine under powered and too low to the ground. Went back to Yamaha and am way happier for the same money.
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 06:15 PM

[Linked Image]

I like my mule, it’s smooth and gas efficient
Posted By: run

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 07:04 PM

You have to be kind to Polaris Rangers. Our family has one, they're kind of a pain to fix.
Posted By: Wildkaat

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 09:30 PM

Run a Polaris ranger 700 for the last three years and loved it so much it got replaced with a 1000 this spring. I had the full cab and heater so the cold morning,rain , snow or wind didn’t bother me a bit. Was driving the 08 90 miles one day and 80 the next checking traps and that thing never let me down and I’m hoping the new one is just as reliable. Whatever you get make sure you don’t have to climb in or out of it. I can just slide out of the ranger. Do some customizing to the bed and you got the perfect trapping rig. This question is like asking ford or Chevy, MB or Bridget. Go with what’s comfortable to you they all have good and bad points. I would definitely say the bigger the better my 700 seemed to be a little short on power at times.

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/02/19 09:38 PM

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...y-new-trapping-rig-yesterday#Post6315960

Link to my ride this year it gets full cab and bed rack its a little cold in Jan to run to far down the line
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/03/19 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Yotegiter
[Linked Image]

I like my mule, it’s smooth and gas efficient

Was that badger declawed?

whistle
Posted By: swamp donkey

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/03/19 01:50 AM

Thank you all for your comments. I really appreciate it.I'm looking to buy brand new-I figure it'll be the only one I'll need to buy if I choose carefully and take care of it.

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/03/19 02:28 AM

Each brand has their good points and bad a little research on the model and engine is the best way to start. All can have lemmons but some models and engines have way better track records
Posted By: Dbooth

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/04/19 11:10 AM

I would look at the hondas. Shaft driven instead of belt. Huge plus in my boik
Posted By: derek masenthin

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/08/19 06:08 PM

I've got a 2014 570 bought it new it's got 10,000 miles on it. Clutches are weak and a big designed to fail part of Polaris. For trapping I would use a direct drive machine like a Honda. I'm on my 3rd clutch now for the same amount of money more less Honda makes a more durable machine.
Posted By: run

Re: Any suggestions on a trapping side by side? - 05/08/19 07:26 PM

Why don't you go with a CAN AM or American Landmaster? American Landmaster is supposed to be USA made. Polaris Rangers are made in China according to the research that I have done.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums