Home

really do miss the old chat

Posted By: west river rogue

really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 12:51 PM

Paul reminded me of this when I read his post regarding rayA.........had alot of friends back in those days where we could really chat in real life interphase. Back then before the crashes I was lefties...use to chat alot with ray,cotton,danny,rags, and many others,,oh ya tom chessie etc. Those were the days.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 01:09 PM

Those days can be brought back. IRC still lives.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 01:14 PM

I can't agree more with you on that thing's at times were quite lively to say the least . It taught me how to type quicker and my index fingers sure would get sore . Now I use a Kendal so I now type with two thumbs .
I feel it brought the lurkers out and got them talking / typing I could be wrong it happens more than I care to admit.
Allan formerly known as AMtrapper1
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 01:28 PM

That old chat when my baud rate was I think 800 maybe??? type in a line hit send. Before it popped up in the chat window it was so far down the conversation sometime made no sense LMAO! and that right there is another thing.. First time some one typed LMAO! to something I'd typed.. I thought he was calling it Lame -O so I had to learn all the chat abbreviations..
Had lot fun many an evening..always figure live chat was like sitting around internet camp fire..

Mac
Posted By: Drifter

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 01:34 PM

Spent many a long night in the old chatroom and giving MA Cat a fit.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
I can't agree more with you on that thing's at times were quite lively to say the least . It taught me how to type quicker and my index fingers sure would get sore . Now I use a Kendal so I now type with two thumbs .
I feel it brought the lurkers out and got them talking / typing I could be wrong it happens more than I care to admit.
Allan formerly known as AMtrapper1

lol allen,,i didnt know

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
That old chat when my baud rate was I think 800 maybe??? type in a line hit send. Before it popped up in the chat window it was so far down the conversation sometime made no sense LMAO! and that right there is another thing.. First time some one typed LMAO! to something I'd typed.. I thought he was calling it Lame -O so I had to learn all the chat abbreviations..
Had lot fun many an evening..always figure live chat was like sitting around internet camp fire..

Mac

it WAS!

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 01:44 PM

back then even paul use to chime in!!
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 02:36 PM

Lots of long nights spent in the old chat room. There were some epic conversations held there. Too bad there was no way to have archived them.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 02:48 PM

It was the nightly thing to do,never went to the tv....im talking 99-2000 or so

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnthonyT
Lots of long nights spent in the old chat room. There were some epic conversations held there. Too bad there was no way to have archived them.

The group of us that used pIRCh and haven't tossed the computers have the logs somewhere.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Originally Posted by AnthonyT

The group of us that used pIRCh and haven't tossed the computers have the logs somewhere.

sniper if u joined in 2006 im not sure its the same chat...paul can you shed some light on this please? Maybe it says we all joined in 2006 since crashes,not sure
Posted By: pcr2

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 02:54 PM

so you all don't like us new guys huh.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 02:59 PM

I've been here since otter creek. 2006 is post crashes

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
so you all don't like us new guys huh.

im sure your pot stirring antics would have added. confused im amazed how civil we kept it. It was like a big family unlike nowadays on here.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:01 PM

yes says 2006 for everybody. if I'm remembering right chat was a door for several hacking problems. Wolfer used to talk about a program he had downloaded called ninja that he apparently used to shut down others computers when they fooled with the chat room.

I still type with one finger but thanks to chat I can do it pretty quickly.

Yep Mark. Conversations got a bit confusing at times due to lag time. Does dial up internet still exist? I have the same home number I've always had but keep thinking I ought to turn it off. Just like to have a listed number. Seems like anymore the only calls it gets are scam callers fishing for credit card numbers.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
yes says 2006 for everybody. if I'm remembering right chat was a door for several hacking problems. Wolfer used to talk about a program he had downloaded called ninja that he apparently used to shut down others computers when they fooled with the chat room.

I still type with one finger but thanks to chat I can do it pretty quickly.

Yep Mark. Conversations got a bit confusing at times due to lag time. Does dial up internet still exist? I have the same home number I've always had but keep thinking I ought to turn it off. Just like to have a listed number. Seems like anymore the only calls it gets are scam callers fishing for credit card numbers.

wow danny,,i think its what taught me to progress to 2 finger typing on each hand whistle

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:06 PM

so whats different with chat now??i go there and talk to a great group of guys everyday.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
so whats different with chat now??i go there and talk to a great group of guys everyday.

doesnt compare,guess u had to be there. Can anybody answer him? I think the interface is different

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:09 PM

IRC had some issues. Marc ran catninja scripts on pIRCh98. Catninja set my antivirus off every time because of the tools involved.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:11 PM

pc2 it was real time chat with a dozen and even more logged in at the same time on occasion. if you logged out it was gone. couldn't go in and read anything posted before you logged in.

had guests at times. like russ carmen talking about lure. would be a good thing if some of those conversations could be brought back. a real wealth of information was shared as well as just general conversation

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:12 PM

IRC chat was more fun because it was in real time and the scripts

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:16 PM

gotcha,i understand.now i gotta figure out what i hit that made my letters smaller.already had to wear reading glasses.any advice??

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:23 PM

Ctrl + +
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:33 PM

The old chat gave everyone a chance to meet trappers from all over the country.Then you knew who everyone was,when you met them at a convention.
Many times we chatted into the wee hours of the morning.My wife said she had never seen anyone type so fast using just 2 fingers.
It was a good time spent with good people.
Tom

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 03:33 PM

thanx sir,don't even need my glasses now.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bogmaster
The old chat gave everyone a chance to meet trappers from all over the country.Then you knew who everyone was,when you met them at a convention.
Many times we chatted into the wee hours of the morning.My wife said she had never seen anyone type so fast using just 2 fingers.
It was a good time spent with good people.
Tom

oh ya jeese i forgot old tom boggie,then seeing at convention in lagrange or somewhere in indiana before charlie d Passed on....remember that convention Tom? Around 98? 99? I think it mighta been fta nd u were beside dale b maybe?
Posted By: rags57078

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 10:06 PM

It was a lot of fun and yes there was a lot of late nights

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by rags57078
It was a lot of fun and yes there was a lot of late nights

now ur back ha?

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 10:08 PM

as somebody described like sittin round the campfire with friends
Posted By: trapper les

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 10:13 PM

I never heard of an online message board like this one until 2011.
Posted By: Osky

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 10:43 PM

Heck Les, I was still using smoke signals in 2011. No wonder nobody was responding but the fire jumpers.

Osky

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/08/19 11:47 PM

got our first computer about 1998 or 99. 13 year old son showed me how to get email and how to look for stuff. I typed in trapping and trapperman popped up.
Posted By: cotton

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 12:15 AM

sure do miss the chat.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 12:24 AM

Those were good times on the old chats. I recall one time when I tried to get on chat and was having a hard time. Cotton kicked me off - lol.

I recall the chats were back in the late nineties and early 2000's before the big crash in 2006. After the crash of 2006, I went from the old UBB Classic board to the UBB Threads we have now. The very first message board in the spring of 1998 was something called Paradise Boards, or something like that. Then we went to a board that was set up like SPAC and made by a fella named Paul. He and Eric Mayer rented it out to us. From there we went to the UBB Classic.

We had a chat where your name on here was your name in chat. It was linked directly into Trapperman. It was determined to be a security risk, and I got rid of it.

We had some great guest chats. I recall Russ being on, the Leggetts, Tom Miranda, and others that I don't recall right now.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 12:37 AM

I recall tom and russ too...knew tom back then and pete and ron from helping at trappers college

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 01:33 AM

Paul,yot were bouced that night by me and Tony.You were at your sisters and used her computer.The IP was not that of your computer,so we did not believe it was you.LOL you didn't hold that against us.Though Tony was sure worried.
Tom

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 03:12 AM

What was the name of that hacker kept coming in spamming and flooding. Even sent some of us threatening e-mails??? All I can think of is started with I think a K????

Was Klingon wasn't it??

Mac
Posted By: Drifter

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 05:14 AM

Yep that was him Marc. He was from Canada.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 11:36 AM

Yes mac you nailed that one .
Mac what are you wearing ?? LMAO

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 01:06 PM

Probably my Pink Nightie! LOL!

Mac

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/09/19 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver

Probably my Pink Nightie! LOL!

Mac

tmi

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 09:37 AM

next
Posted By: cotton

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 10:20 AM

let see how many i can recall

irun26miles
drifter
west river
danny
macthediver
jtrapper
turtle
raya
belin
bulletbox
mscat

one night belin came in for the first time and was trying to keep up and pm-ed me, wanting us to slow down lol. think i had 3 other pm's going and the room was pretty full.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by cotton
let see how many i can recall

irun26miles
drifter
west river
danny
macthediver
jtrapper
turtle
raya
belin
bulletbox
mscat

one night belin came in for the first time and was trying to keep up and pm-ed me, wanting us to slow down lol. think i had 3 other pm's going and the room was pretty full.

but back then westriver was lefties
Posted By: Mike Cope

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 11:16 AM

I was there, usually early in the nights. Had to cut out early to leave for work.
Posted By: flathead

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 03:19 PM

Here's some more cotton..... Usually the late shift, quite a few of us mods if you remember right:
Lt44
Minker
wolfer
iaminker
me
bvrtrpr
itrap
farmboy
otterman

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 03:37 PM

I remember the first time Asa came in.,He was Ace. At first he said he was a friend of Asa"s.He later came back to say he was actually Asa,LOL.
Many good talks.
Tom
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 04:17 PM

Whatever became of Sten from South Africa? I think he was on Trapperman chat, but it may have been all the way back to Otter Creek.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 08:41 PM

There was also

TRapp
W.N.Y.S though that might of been post IRC
coilspring
ladysky
nwmo

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 11:00 PM

akona got mad and left. what about scotty the boy? got some furs he tanned. worked at a ny tannery. remember him talking about fleshing the elephant hides for the full size elephant mounts at the kc cabela's.

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 11:01 PM

yeah drifter where is nwmo?

Re: really do miss the old chat - 05/18/19 11:12 PM

NTA 2004 Boone County Fairgrounds, Columbia, MO, was camping with my wife and step son. Step son brought a skateboard. NWMO was there with his kids who would be grown now but were 3-4 back then. Drifter is a bit ornery. My step son slept in one morning and is a sound sleeper. Drifter took a bunch of stuffed animals and stuff belonging to NWMO's kids, and JJ's skateboard, and put it all in bed with him. Then took pictures. They got posted on Tman. JJ was a bit miffed but I thought it was hilarious. Wouldn't mind seeing those pictures again if they are still around somewhere.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums