Home

What was your 1st fish

Posted By: adam m

What was your 1st fish - 05/10/19 11:13 PM

You caught?
Mine was rainbow trout. My dad wasn't big on fishing but he made time to take us individually and together.

My oldest sons was a Fluke, daughter's was a rainbow trout, youngest sons was a small trout.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/10/19 11:19 PM

Bullheads
Posted By: KeithC

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/10/19 11:21 PM

When I was 4 or 5, I caught bluegill and orange spotted sunfish, on my Mickey Mouse pole, with my maternal grandfather and Uncle David.

Keith
Posted By: charles

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/10/19 11:38 PM

A yellow perch or bluegill probably. Cane pole and worm at a farm pond most likely. Good chance I ate it too.
Posted By: Railroader

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/10/19 11:38 PM

Bluegill
Posted By: snowy

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/10/19 11:50 PM

Walleye, perch or pike I would guess.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/10/19 11:55 PM

Have no idea it was so long ago. But I do remember a picture of a pike my dad was holding up beside me that was as long as I was tall. He said he held the suspenders on my bib overall while I reeled it in. Canada 1957-58
Posted By: bacatrapper

rainbow trout, green river lakes, wyoming, 1977
Posted By: Boco

sunfish,rock bass,catfish.
Posted By: warrior

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:02 AM

Turtle on a cane pole.
Posted By: 30/06

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:12 AM

Small pike. We ate it, mostly bones.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:22 AM

Shough shark 44" was5 years old and there was now way anyone was going to help me wind it in. I was 6 inches taller than it and twice the weight 50 vs 25.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:24 AM

I remember my first fishing pole. two piece bamboo pole, no reel. caught a lot of fish with it. don't remember getting it or my first fish. was probably just old enough to hold it up. when I was 9 I got a brand new fiberglass casting rod with a zebco 202 on it. caught a lot of fish with it too. first fish I ever caught on a artificial bait was with that fiberglass rod and zebco reel. caught a german brown trout on a spinner called a yellow shyster. I remember that day
Posted By: teal

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:25 AM

Bullhead...might be my last as well. I'm about as good at fishing as trapping.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:27 AM

brooktrout with my dad I was about 5
Posted By: white marlin

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:35 AM

9 1/4 inch brooky...in my mind, I can still see the rock it came out from under to grab that redworm; 48 years ago
Posted By: bblwi

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:35 AM

Cane pole and small bullheads

Bryce
Posted By: Nelly

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:38 AM

Could have been a bluegill, could have been a pumpkin seed, could have been a red ear sunfish.
They were all bluegills to us kids.
They were fun to catch anyhow.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:50 AM

Bluegill, ive got a pic here somewhere . Probably about 40 years ago
Posted By: ABeardedTrapper

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 01:02 AM

Bluegill. Caught it with a zebco 202 with my grandpa by my side on the clinch river. Eric
Posted By: waggler

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 01:08 AM

Rainbow trout, I was about 4, living in Portland OR, trolling out of a row boat with my dad and brothers.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 01:28 AM

My grandfather took me to his friends pond, abt an acre in size.
My dad was with us also along with my grandfathers friend.
I was using a cane pole 6 or 7 feet long with the old type braided line, had a white and red round bobber on it with a split shot 6 inches above the hook..
a wad of red worms on the hook..
I caught a little channel cat abt 10 inches long.
They told me how to grab it so it wouldn’t stick me, of course it did stick me when it started flopping around
2x..
I was 5 or 6 at the time,mid 60’s..
Never will forget it..
Posted By: chas3457

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 01:40 AM

Bullheads out of my Uncle's sandpit. I was a teenager before I caught my first Bluegill out of an Interstate lake. smile

Charlie
Posted By: trapper les

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 02:27 AM

Walleye or sauger. I cant remember. I grew up in a commercial fishing family and have been angling since I was knee high to Dad. When I was very young, 6 maybe, I could hand over hand pull a fish in through the ice. Dad taught us that. And to not tangle the line up just because it's exciting, it's, after all, just a fish.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 02:33 AM

Central Stoneroller, 1957 or 1958. Grand River, Mi. Also, on the same day, I saw my first Porcupine.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 02:36 AM

I don't remember but knowing my dad it was probably a rainbow trout.
Posted By: Lockjaw52

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 03:14 AM

Bluegills on a cane pole about 63 or 64 years ago from a lake somewhere close to Hayward Wisconsin. Granddad was a musky fishing guide back then and kind got me hooked on fishing..
Posted By: trapr

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 05:31 AM

mountain whitefish off the Hiese bridge South fork of the Snake River near Ririe Id. @ 1969
Never saw another angler on the shore, wading or boating.That will never happen again, gets a lot of pressure now.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 11:18 AM

Bluegills with grampa.
Posted By: huntcook

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 11:30 AM

My first fish was a sucker caught in a small creek with a pole made from a dead dried up horse weed.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I remember my first fishing pole. two piece bamboo pole, no reel. caught a lot of fish with it. don't remember getting it or my first fish. was probably just old enough to hold it up. when I was 9 I got a brand new fiberglass casting rod with a zebco 202 on it. caught a lot of fish with it too. first fish I ever caught on a artificial bait was with that fiberglass rod and zebco reel. caught a german brown trout on a spinner called a yellow shyster. I remember that day

I wonder how many fish have been caught with a Zebco 202, and how many of those things have been made?
I don't remember my first fish, but I do remember my first rod and reel was the 202.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:10 PM

Bluegill
Posted By: jabNE

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:13 PM

Very big carp. Pulled me around the bank, fun fish.
Jim
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:22 PM

Probably a chub minnow in the creek. Stick with line attached to it. I can still remember the older boy that made my pole and exactly what it looked like 40 years later. Man I was a real fisherman. We used peeled crawdad tails for bait. Fished that way for 6-7 years. The chub minnows fought pretty good. Caught a fair number of bluegill. If you were really lucky you would catch a catfish. If we got bored we tried to catch big crawdads on the bait. Had to pull it up slow to keep them from letting go. Good times.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:31 PM

Bream with my dad. Used an old school cane pole. In the creek behind My house.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 12:34 PM

Bluegill
Posted By: taser

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 01:22 PM

Horned chub from a creek that ran thru my grandparent's farm. Caught the odd rainbow in there also but chub would have been the first.

edit: actually now that I googled it I would say it was a horned Dace("creek chub")
Posted By: Sask hunter

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 01:50 PM

Yellow perch through the ice
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 02:02 PM

Bluegill, With my grand parents. I don’t remember if it was with a cane pole or a zebco. I don’t remember, it was over 50 years. Back in my early years of fishing. We just went after perch and catfish for a fish fry. Those were good days! It seams like we had more time to do stuff and spend time with the family.

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Originally Posted by danny clifton

I wonder how many fish have been caught with a Zebco 202, and how many of those things have been made?
I don't remember my first fish, but I do remember my first rod and reel was the 202.

My first while fishing was with a cane pole, but my first "real" rod and reel was the venerated 202. I believe the Zebco 202 was , without a doubt, one of the best bang for your buck outfits in the entire fishing market! You used to be able to buy the darn reels for $2-$3.

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by trapr
mountain whitefish off the Hiese bridge South fork of the Snake River near Ririe Id. @ 1969
Never saw another angler on the shore, wading or boating.That will never happen again, gets a lot of pressure now.

For a short while in late '81 and early '82 my Bride and I lived a short distance from that spot. We rented an "apartment" in the old converted motel located on the very west edge of town, just past the Maverick Station on the road to Rigby.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 04:32 PM

Can't tell ya what or where my first fish was caught, but could lead you to the very spot I caught my first coyote, and that was sixty years ago, last fall! I remember the important stuff! lol grin
Posted By: trapperchris

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 04:35 PM

Bluegill and sunfish out of the creek with my dad and grandma. Forty years or so ago.
Posted By: TRAPPER-ED

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 05:33 PM

not sure ? I would say a Bullhead
Posted By: adam m

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 07:12 PM

Great stories thanks for sharing.
For those with kids & grandkids what was their first fish?
Posted By: pcr2

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 07:38 PM

chubs
Posted By: Finster

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/11/19 07:55 PM

My first fish caught was a Pumpkinseed Sunfish. A pretty big one. I was fishing with my step Grandfather and messed up the cast. It landed about three feet out and this big pumpkinseed came up and grabbed it. I haven't thought of that in years. I had to be 6-8 probably.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: What was your 1st fish - 05/12/19 01:54 AM

Yellow Perch during spring runs.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums