Home

Solar panel pump or airator for a pond?

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/12/19 12:40 AM

Anyone have one or have experice with anything like this? Would like to either pump water in or keep water
Airated with a solar panel
Posted By: brn2fsh

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/12/19 01:15 AM

I don`t know about the wind over there but the windmill type ones are all over eastern montana.

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/12/19 03:18 PM

It's tucked back in a cedar swamp so wind probably isn't the best option.

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/12/19 11:39 PM

Anybody tonight.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/12/19 11:51 PM

I have no idea but I'm interested in this thread. I will be making my backyard pond bigger at some point and I would like to build a trappers shed and attached greenhouse overhanging it. On the side facing the house, I would like to put a small water wheel for aesthetics and to aerate the pond. The lay of the land doesn't allow me to build a trough for the water so I'll have to pump it. Windmills are insanely expensive so I was thinking of a pump. Solar and a battery bank may be the way to go here. Anyway, I didn't mean to steal the thread, I'm just interested in replies.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/13/19 12:16 AM

We have a piston pump in ours, runs every minute of the year. Works very well. If the wind is blowing you have less need to aerate so the windmill are less effective. Been running ours for 16 years, makes a big difference. Mike
Posted By: Mont

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/14/19 01:15 PM

i have windmill aerators and solar units...they both have there good points,
what do you want to know?
i personally like the windmill.
u can buy them used for cheap and then they mostly need diaphragm replaced and they are good to go.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/14/19 03:13 PM

I have a pond in the woods down in a ravine. I wanted to aerate it. There was not reliable wind and no power. I built a ram pump and put it behind the dam. It pumped some of the water it used back into the lake. No power needed. It worked but not on a very big scale. It kept about a 3' circle of water disturbed and made air bubbles where it dropped into the water. I used a 1'' pvc pipe for the siphon. Always wondered how a 2'' one would have worked. The head is 7' and it pumped through a 1/2'' plastic hose to 12' about 1/3 of the water siphoned.

Solar might work to aerate.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: Solar panel pump or airator for a pond? - 05/14/19 03:17 PM

I use solar to run a deep water pump in my well at one of my parks. It's a 24 volt system that I also use for lighting in one of my pavilions. The water pump would most certainly be able to aerate a pond. The system utilizes four 12 volt deep cycle batteries in series and parallel as well as a 24 volt controller.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums