Home

If you were me...

Posted By: Wild_Idaho

If you were me... - 05/12/19 12:44 AM

I'm doing it anyway, but just want to hear some other's thoughts. If you were a 31 year old bachelor from Oregon who has spent his adult life living different places like Oregon, North Dakota and Idaho and who just enjoys living places where you can take advantage of what the wild has to offer, would you move to Alaska? Basically a year from now I'm planning a move to the Interior. I figure at 31, being single, this might be my last potential shot at taking advantage of what the freedom of someone my age who isn't married with any kids has to offer. I sure do love Idaho. It's an amazing state to live in. However it's growing rapidly. And even though my county has only around 40k people that is far too many for me. Looking at trying to find work in a smaller town in the interior next year. So yes I'm going to move there for better or worse. I am not what you'd call a people person. The more remote the better for my preferences. What would you guys do?
Posted By: Posco

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 12:50 AM

Do it!
Posted By: Boco

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 12:53 AM

Do it for sure.If you don't like it you can go somewhere else or go back where you came from.
If you don't do it you will always wonder.
And like my mother told me-"never put off until tomorrow what you can do today."
That is one true statement to live by.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 12:56 AM

Yeah, I totally would.... you only live once....
Posted By: The Beav

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 12:59 AM

I wouldn't do It.
Things are very expensive there and your probably going to have to get a job unless of coarse you have deep pockets to begin with.

It's a great place to visit but It's going to a hard place to live full time.
Posted By: Guy Johnson

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:04 AM

Son go and make your dream come true! Your only here once, win, lose or draw you followed your heart!
Posted By: snowy

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:14 AM

Do it. You don't have to stay your entire life if you don't like. If you don't try you will never know and the time is right, nothing to hold you down.

40 years ago if I would of got a job on the northern slope pipeline I might still be there. I think about that once and a while if I would of got that job what my life would of been today.

Go for it and see if you like it.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:34 AM

Thanks guys that's what I figure... and Beav, I do know everything is more expensive there but Alaska ain't full of rich people. They all work just like the rest of us.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:39 AM

Think what he was getting at is you may be working more just to make ends meet than enjoying nature.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:40 AM

Do it!
We don't know you so none of know your financial situation.
But..., I'm guessing you really don't care cool

Some people are SUPER happy living on a very small income. They may not have all they desire but live the way THEY want too.

Best of luck to ya!.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:42 AM

I think you need to settle down and have some kids. Are you planning on growing pot?
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:43 AM

Yes Do it, when I was 30 I was offered a Great Job working for Northwest Cummins. My wife was not so thrilled about the idea as we had spent three years in Wyoming in one of the coldest and windiest places ever. She wanted no part of adverse weather.
Fast forward 25 years I always wondered what it would have been like or to seen.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Do it!
We don't know you so none of know your financial situation.
But..., I'm guessing you really don't care cool

Some people are SUPER happy living on a very small income. They may not have all they desire but live the way THEY want too.

Best of luck to ya!.

Poverty and I walk hand in hand.
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:50 AM

Hi Wild. Don’t want to be a downer but Alaska is not what it was. Highest welfare rate in the nation per capita , not a lot of the population is working. Democrats are taking over the state.To do any in the interior off road system cost a fortune. I lived there 37 years until 2 years ago then I moved down here by you. I get out in the woods 100 times more than I did in Alaska. Your have to be well off or native to have any kind of life in the bush.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:51 AM

Oh to be young again with no worries about old age. LOl

First you need to rent or buy. Hopefully you won't have to cut wood all summer to keep the shack heated. Then of coarse If you want to go somewhere It will most likely take you 2 days. LOL

So what are your skills when It comes to the work force?

I spend every summer In Alaska price of food and fuel Is outrageous and building materials out of site.

Good luck on your venture.
Posted By: Jeremiah Wood

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:52 AM

Hey Eric, if I were in your shoes, well you already know what I would do! Will be rooting for you.
Posted By: Railroader

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:54 AM

Just do it! Do it while you still can. Asked my wife to move to Minnesota from Kansas about 6-7 years ago... still live in Kansas!

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Oh to be young again with no worries about old age. LOl

First you need to rent or buy. Hopefully you won't have to cut wood all summer to keep the shack heated. Then of coarse If you want to go somewhere It will most likely take you 2 days. LOL

So what are your skills when It comes to the work force?

I've worn several hats. My background is in carpentry originally. I now work in the plumbing industry. Been in sales as well. Farming, ranching. Plumbing I have the most experience in. Also pretty good at learning new trades.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Just do it! Do it while you still can. Asked my wife to move to Minnesota from Kansas about 6-7 years ago... still live in Kansas!

Lucky dog!!
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:26 AM

Do it. Can always move back.
Posted By: waggler

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:27 AM

Sure, go for it. Just curious why you picked the interior? What part of the interior, pretty big place.
Posted By: g smith

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:33 AM

Any place you move to you can move from.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
Sure, go for it. Just curious why you picked the interior? What part of the interior, pretty big place.

Well I'm looking at places like Tok, Delta Junction, Glenallen, Healy, McGrath, Chicken. My reasoning is pretty much just based on good bird hunting and trapping being available.
Posted By: nramemb

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:39 AM

My wife and i discussed moving to Alaska . we did lots of research and checked on thing for about 6 months then i got busy and put it on the back shelf. 30 years later we still haven't gone.

Give it a try. If you don't you will regreat it.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:47 AM

Stop at the Alaskan Bush club on your way through. What's not to like. Lol

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Originally Posted by waggler

Well I'm looking at places like Tok, Delta Junction, Glenallen, Healy, McGrath, Chicken. My reasoning is pretty much just based on good bird hunting and trapping being available.

My Daughter and the grand kids live In live In Delta. I don't see much In the way of trapping around there.
Posted By: danvee

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:21 AM

You will either love it and stay or hate it not much in between in that neck of the woods.
Posted By: white17

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:24 AM

My Daughter and the grand kids live In live In Delta. I don't see much In the way of trapping around there.

That's because you're looking for grinners and coons.

South of Delta and west of the Delta river is some big, lonely country. Cub would be handy to get on that side of the river but there is no end to landing spots
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:59 AM

Move to Denver smoke some pot and eat some mushrooms and all will be good! LOL J/K whistle

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Move to Denver smoke some pot and eat some mushrooms and all will be good! LOL J/K whistle

Been there done that hombre. I ain't on that bus
Posted By: GUK

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 04:07 AM

Do it.... just do it. Move here in 1984 still here. Do it.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
Originally Posted by Law Dog

Been there done that hombre. I ain't on that bus

I hear ya me neither never seemed interesting to me will take the outdoors over that any day!
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 04:44 AM

People seem to more regret what they did not do more than what they did do.

However, in my Alaska travels I found the Kenai peninsula the most interesting by far. Yes more people but not everywhere all the time. More opportunities to make a living or work seasonally and still remote beauty. The area around Valdez was great too. Well I guess I liked anywhere along the coast the best. Can still go inland, but many great reasons to live near the coast. I could live on halibut. I have never been to the other coast -Ketchikan and that area. Worth looking into for sure.

There are very wealthy people in Alaska, and very poor as well. Be cautious with your money or it will no longer be your money. Don’t believe or rely on what you are told. Many scams. Cash on the barrelhead for everything. Don’t trust that you will be paid for your work. Much of this applies everywhere.

If I was your age and single there is a part of the population I would definitely want available. Definitely check out the great Alaskan Bush company. Be sure to wash your hands after you leave.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Willy Firewood
However, in my Alaska travels I found the Kenai peninsula the most interesting by far.

Probably one of the most beautiful spots on the planet. I owned a small parcel of land just off the Kenai (keen-eye) River. Halibut and Red salmon are my favorite fish.

I've traveled over much of the state from the North Slope to Valdez, Homer to Kodiak, the Yukon River to the Alaska Peninsula. Hunted everywhere and fished many places. You need more than a couple of lifetimes to take it all in.

It will help you a lot if you are skilled in a trade. Really skilled.
Posted By: James

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 06:12 AM

You have to be careful about trying to trap in any of those areas, unless you buy someone else's line. The areas accessible at all to the highway are pretty much taken.

Trapping in Alaska has issues you don't think of elsewhere.

Jim
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 06:51 AM

My wife and i moved to the interior 3 years ago from Oregon. We love it. We also had the money to do it..We bought a place out right. We are 40 miles from the city. Work is out there but good paying work is harder to come by unless you have real marketeble skills. I have been getting buy doing carpentry piece work with a guy i met locally but its hit and miss...need a real job with benis now and am looking at commuting to Fairbanks. Wish i could have a sit down with ya to share our experience...my service is choppy and i dont like to sit and type on the phone....lol
At any rate i say give the heart what it wants...but be prepared.
Posted By: warrior

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 07:29 AM

Not in a million years. I've never understood the crazy desire to go to the ends of the earth to seek wilderness or prove how he man bush whacker one is. Especially when you can find that exact thing where ever you might be. Maybe its not interior Alaska or Amazonian rainforest or hymalayan peaks but my briar patch is a nice southern swamp. So what if it's within an hours drive of a walmart at least I ain't kidding myself.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 11:43 AM

Go while You're not tied down.
Posted By: Hatchetman

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 12:04 PM

1st off, have you ever been there?
Before i'd ever consider making a move like that I would definitely go there and spend a week or two to get somewhat of a feel of the place.

2nd ,if it were me, i would be doing some serious research into becoming a Canadian...
BC, maybe northern Sask?
From the little I see, these areas have a lot more to offer.

Oh and don't worry, Boco is way over on the east side so he wouldn't be looking over your shoulder telling you what your doing wrong...
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 12:50 PM

Have a nephew that grew up in Ne, and was talking about moving to Ak and homesteading. This was thirty years ago. He had his pistol taken from him when he tried to drive through Canada, then when he got there, he spent a week there and turned around and went back home to Ne. He couldn't put his finger on what it was, but just said it wasn't what he thought it would be!

That said, go or you will never know! Just have the reserves to get back to where you were if it isn't what you thoughtt it would be. I have a very good friend that has lived there since getting out of the army, and he quit trapping, said that it is almost impossible to find anyplace to set a trap anymore! Good luck to you!

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by white17

That's because you're looking for grinners and coons.

South of Delta and west of the Delta river is some big, lonely country. Cub would be handy to get on that side of the river but there is no end to landing spots

Buying a cub to trap? sounds like a losing proposition to me. LOL Then of coarse he would have to lean to fly.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:21 PM

Well I didn't say BUY a Cub. You can easily rent one when you need it. That said, I know several people who use the plane for exactly that function. You can cover a lot of country that most people will never see.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:43 PM

Why not BUY a 'Cub? That's exactly what I did nearly 30 years ago. In my opinion, the only way to really get "into" Interior Alaska ('Cub or dog team). I trapped out of a village for 13 years in the western interior. It ain't impossible, and you'll go places and see things that others only dream of. Trapping, hunting, fishing. It was basically my pickup truck (didn't own a highway vehicle). Don't let anyone tell you it's impossible.

Jack
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 01:50 PM

There is nothing like being single and footloose. If you don't like it or it doesn't work out, you can always go somewhere else. Don't come to the end of your life and have a long list of things you wish you had done.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Why not BUY a 'Cub? That's exactly what I did nearly 30 years ago. In my opinion, the only way to really get "into" Interior Alaska ('Cub or dog team). I trapped out of a village for 13 years in the western interior. It ain't impossible, and you'll go places and see things that others only dream of. Trapping, hunting, fishing. It was basically my pickup truck (didn't own a highway vehicle). Don't let anyone tell you it's impossible.

Jack

Our mutual friend ..........he of the broken heel..........just sold his yesterday. He made a final flight ( in that plane) a few days ago at 80 yrs old. Says his depth perception is getting bad smile. I'm sure he'll fly his son's plane in the future and he still has that old Champ to rebuild.
Posted By: RKH

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:04 PM

If i was your age and had the means id do it also

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 02:58 PM

Willy, yeah I'm not totally set on the interior, the coast would be good too just seems like more people. And that's overall some really good advice you gave.

warrior, I ain't "proving" anything. I guess I just have a strong desire for wanderlust.

Lee, yeah my plan is to also have a backup plan in case it's not what I think it will be.

Gulo, I do want to learn to fly, but if I'll be able to afford flight school is a different story. However I have no problem putting in miles on a sled. Getting a dog team seems most effective, as dogs don't tend to break down. Not sure if I'd have the time to work a full time job and run a dog team though.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:06 PM

Life should work in reverse We should start it at 82 and get younger as we go .All the while retaining the knowledge and experience we gain . But that is not how it is .So if you can do it without putting yourself in a position that you can not recover for go now .But have a plan .It does not have to be set in stone but if you wing it to long you may regret where you find yourself several years down the road

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
He couldn't put his finger on what it was, but just said it wasn't what he thought it would be!

I learned of Alaska through books when I was just a kid. I grew up in northern Maine and loved the outdoors and as soon as I heard of this place called Alaska I wanted to go. Me and a buddy were going to run away and head there. We were ten or twelve. He always backed out on me when crunch time came. He stayed in Maine and I eventually made my way there. It was nothing like I had envisioned, it was better.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:29 PM

Do it as soon as you can... You might have to sacrifice some things to live that life. You might even decide the sacrifice is too great and end up moving back to the lower 48... But in another 10 or so years you'll be my age. And you'll wonder what it might have been like.

I don't regret my life. But I do sometimes wonder.

If you try and it doesn't work out... At least you tried.

Mike
Posted By: Mac

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:40 PM

I'm a long ways from age 31. I am pretty soft. Like running water, hot shower daily, like the internet, like to be able to make it to the frigging doctors.

You want to go, go. I do not regret much of what I have done but a lot of what I have not done.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 03:43 PM

Physical places can be enjoyed , considering the plusses overtake the minuses.

Moving back anywhere can always be decided later , if you want to .

Not a few have lived in other places , moved to AK, and decide to move somewhere else again, or the opposite...moving from AK to another state. Nothing wrong with any of this at all.

As mentioned , life's regrets are the priceless thing they wish they had taken hold of, that comes along once in a lifetime, if at all , for most.

Not just meaning geographical location change, career , or money , but much more , completing our happiness to the core of our being.

Home is where the heart is ,in real happiness , much more than location , though choosing a place that contributes to real happiness is all part of the whole.

Age makes no difference . In fact, it deepens appreciation of grabbing onto those irreplaceable chances and treasuring them ...no regrets .
Posted By: Timothy

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 04:04 PM

Sharon the last line is awesome !
For the topic GO- GO now !
I did similar moved from IL to Wyoming stayed 8 years moved back to IL. I hate it here but the wifes family ya know.
Now at 58 I have the chance to transfer or bid a job in Missouri and man is it appealing--Back to Sharon's last line those are words of wisdom right there....Hope to be saying GOOD BYE to this miserable commie state for good.
I as well have never regreted doing or going somewhere but I sure as heck regret NOT doing or going.
Posted By: Rusty Newhouse

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 08:25 PM

Come on up and check it out.

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 09:01 PM

Several good lots in my area for cheap right now...11k for one near the Tanana.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 09:34 PM

Go up there for a few weeks and see for yourself. And if you like it. Go for it. But, have a plan in place just in case you change your mind! My daughter had a teacher, did what you or doing. ( going around the us) she said, he was the best teacher, because of his experiences. Life is short!

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 10:07 PM

I feel like, as has been mentioned, that if I didn't go that I would look back later in life and regret not going. Which is why I'm gonna just go ahead and pull the trigger. Life's too short not to have an adventure every now and then.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 10:26 PM

You should practice adventures starting at 8 or 10 years old. When you hit 18, the rest of your life should be an adventure. Don't pass one up...

Jack
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 10:44 PM

I wouldn't do It.
Things are very expensive there and your probably going to have to get a job unless of coarse you have deep pockets to begin with.

Have a long chat with White 17.......he lives it.....and will let you know what to expect
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: If you were me... - 05/12/19 11:35 PM

I'm sure White17, Wylee, or Rusty above can answer yr questions. Looks like their making it up there!

Re: If you were me... - 05/13/19 02:04 AM

Im still fairly green up here...i can fill you in on the move we did, how we did it, what we took, what we left behind and what i know about my area so far. Im happy to answer any questions i can.
How are you planning to make the move?

Re: If you were me... - 05/13/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
I wouldn't do It.

Have a long chat with White 17.......he lives it.....and will let you know what to expect

White 17 can teach you how to hunt mastadon.
Posted By: 3 Fingers

Re: If you were me... - 05/13/19 02:51 AM

I say do it. I came here in 85 and had a round trip ticket just in case. Only took 3 days here and I threw that ticket away. Best thing I ever did. Come soon. Seasonal work is kicking in.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: If you were me... - 05/13/19 04:05 AM

I was your age when I moved from Louisiana to Alaska. Spent 17 years exploring the state and barely scratched the surface. As has been said it is expensive, but most jobs pay better than in the Lower 48 also. If you can make a living in Oregon and Idaho, you can make a living in Alaska.

My suggestion is don't visit, pack your gear and go. I hope you have as much fun as I did.

Re: If you were me... - 05/13/19 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wylee
Im still fairly green up here...i can fill you in on the move we did, how we did it, what we took, what we left behind and what i know about my area so far. Im happy to answer any questions i can.
How are you planning to make the move?

Well I was up in the air between driving or taking the ferry from Seattle to Valdez then driving from there. I'd live to hear what worked or didn't work for you or what you'd do differently
Posted By: yooperfur

Re: If you were me... - 05/13/19 06:10 AM

Yep, do it. I made the mistake of not pulling the trigger, I was all packed, brand new truck, enough money in my pocket, and I got a phone call for a job in my home town and took the job. my life turn out great but I always wonder WHAT IF.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums