Home

.450 Bushmaster

Posted By: coop

.450 Bushmaster - 05/14/19 09:23 PM

Picked one up to use in our "shotgun" only state... anyone using one or have any info that would shorten my learning curve?
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/14/19 09:49 PM

Ar platform or Bolt action ?? Do you hand load ?? A little info like that would go a long way to be able to help in a more specific way.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/14/19 10:36 PM

Scuba, we aren’t allowed AR platform. It has to be lever action, single shot or bolt action.

Not that it helps you since I don’t know what Coop has.
Posted By: lestan101

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/14/19 10:37 PM

X2 with Scuba. I shoot a Ruger american .450. Topped it with a 1x4 scope. It's a great easy to carry gun, the muzzle blast is terrible. Mine has the factory comp on it. You can load the bolt gun with a longer overall cartridge length (COL), not much room in an AR mag. I shoot Hornady Black ammo, it's very accurate in my gun and has taken many deer. Hope this helps you.
Posted By: ozark trapper ia

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/14/19 10:49 PM

I have ruger American with 2x7x32 leoupold. Took my muzzle break off was so loud my right ear was messed up for 3 days. I am sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. Also shoot Hornaday ammo but am not impressed with bullet performance at all. Nice handy little rifle though. My muzzle brake has reverse threads in case you have a removeable brake.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/14/19 10:51 PM

I also recently bought a Ruger American Ranch to use pig hunting. Mine also shoots the Black ammo very well and I killed a pig with it the other day. He didn't know what hit him. The Ranch is a very handy little hunting rifle. The 450 is a pretty stout little round, about like a 45-70 factory load. X2 on what lestan said above. The muzzle blast is unbelievable on that short barrel with a brake and I absolutely will not shoot that rifle without hearing protection, even while hunting.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/14/19 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by ozark trapper ia
I have ruger American with 2x7x32 leoupold. Took my muzzle break off was so loud my right ear was messed up for 3 days. I am sighted in 2 inches high at 100 yards. Also shoot Hornaday ammo but am not impressed with bullet performance at all. Nice handy little rifle though. My muzzle brake has reverse threads in case you have a removeable brake.

Is that Hornady FTX bullet too fragile? I saw a video where a guy tested it and it blew to pieces. It did a good job on the one pig I shot with it but one sample is not enough to tell. I'm wanting to try the new Fusion load but I haven't been able to find it anywhere yet. Unfortunately my rifle does not shoot the 300gr Federal hollow points nearly as well as the Hornady FTX.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/15/19 12:09 AM

Is the 22" barrel with the muzzle brake less noisy
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/15/19 12:35 AM

I have the Ruger American Ranch Rifle. Topped it with a Leoupold VX-Freedom made for the 450. Zero it in at 100, and it is marked to where you just turn the dial to "2" for 200 yards, "2.5" for 250 yards, etc. out to 300 yards (and everywhere in between). Only killed one deer with it so far, but LOVE THAT GUN!
Posted By: Yote52

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/15/19 01:16 AM

X2 with Ditchdiver. Have shot 4 deer myself and my son shot his first deer with it at 9yo. Be sure to wear hearing protection!!
Posted By: coop

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/15/19 03:42 AM

Ruger American rifle w/ the 22" barrel... I'll probably shoot factory loads, 250 gr Hornady's for a start. I have friends that reload so if I can get the dies I can get reloading done. I'll probably scope it w/ a Leupold, most likely a Vari-X II 3X9X40 I just took off a 20 ga H&R Ultra Slugger. Planning on a 2" high @ 100m yd. zero... hope that helps...
Sounds like it'll be an ear buster...
Posted By: capt.scott

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/15/19 09:25 AM

Have the Leopold freedom scope will have the gun by season.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: .450 Bushmaster - 05/15/19 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ozark trapper ia
Took my muzzle break off was so loud my right ear was messed up for 3 days..

no ear plugs or muffs?...pm me your addy and i'll send you some free.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums