Home

Plant ID

Posted By: cfowler

Plant ID - 05/14/19 10:17 PM

Planted some wildflower seeds in an area and had an unidentified plant emerge a couple years ago. It's a perennial, as this is it's third year returning. This year though, as with many wildflowers, it has begun to grow upward, rather than just emerging with a few leaves at ground level, while a root system is developed. It has similar characteristics as a Cup Plant, with the leaves being alternate but attached, thus forming the "cup". I have cup plants growing, so I know it's not one of them. The stalk of this plant is round. Leaves are distinctively different in shape, yet there is a "cup" formed, just as with the cup plant. I'd REALLY like to know what it is if someone could share that info. Thanks!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: tjm

Re: Plant ID - 05/14/19 10:44 PM

Does it flower?
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Plant ID - 05/14/19 10:53 PM

Chicory, it should produce a blue flower

Re: Plant ID - 05/14/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by tjm
Does it flower?

I don't know yet. Several wildflower species don't bloom the first or second year. They establish their rooting system first. Many have roots well over a foot long. So, I'm anxiously waiting to see if it does. I was hoping that it would bloom last year so I could possibly identify it, but it didn't happen. Then this year it started to grow upwards with a stalk. That's when the cup-like leaves became noticeable. It behaves like a wildflower, at least the prairie wildflower species that I'm familiar with. A bloom would definitely help with positive identification.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Plant ID - 05/14/19 11:15 PM

Wild Radish
Posted By: Outbackbob48

Re: Plant ID - 05/14/19 11:32 PM

Looks like Wild Lettuce

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by snowy
Wild Radish

Originally Posted by Outbackbob48
Looks like Wild Lettuce

Both are close. The biggest difference is opposite leaves aren't separated. They grow together at the stalk and form a cup, in-which, water stands.
[Linked Image]
I do appreciate the ideas. Both made me do some research and educate myself.

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 01:19 AM

Here's a size reference. The leaves are 15"-16" long. The plant itself is about 1.5' tall, but still growing at this point.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: amspoker

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 01:38 AM

It reminds me of an artichoke.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 02:38 AM

Pigweed.
It contains a natural chemical known to chemically castrate pigs.
ITS A PIG CASTRATER!
What do I win for the most elaborate way to interject "pig castrater" as the correct answer?
Posted By: ou812

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 02:42 AM

I think it's in the brassica family, it does look radishy for sure.
Posted By: old243

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 02:47 AM

52carl, I think you nailed it, pigweed, or I call it sow thistle. You get the red ribbon. laugh old243
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by old243
52carl, I think you nailed it, pigweed, or I call it sow thistle. You get the red ribbon. laugh old243

I think it is sow thistle not pigweed. They are different plants. I have lots of pigweed AKA amaranth here and just small amounts of sow thistle.

Keith

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 04:26 AM

It's not sow thistle. Wrong leaf. No spiny edges to the leaves of the plant in question. Also leaf bases (where attaches to stem) is completely different.

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 04:36 AM

The leaf shape of the plant in question is called perfoliate. There's a small amount of species that fit that leaf characteristic, yet I can't figure it out. Still hoping someone knows.

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 04:48 AM

Just found it. Cut-leaf teasel. Thanks Minnesota DNR.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Plant ID - 05/15/19 04:49 PM

Having read about that just now, I'd dig it out before it flowers- it seems to be invasive and may have been accidental in the seeds you planted.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Plant ID - 05/16/19 03:31 AM

I looked up cutleaf teasal and I have seen this plant in the median of I-64 between Lexington, VA and West Virginia. It had the remnants of the flowers (al dried out) and I wanted to stop and take some seeds to bring home. It is an interesting looking plant. I don't care if it is invasive. Maybe it will kill my dandelions, and maybe chemically castrate that feral hog rumored to be around.
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Plant ID - 05/16/19 04:41 PM

Check the flower seed label, it also looks a lot like compass plant. Leaves grow and look like that, plant shoots up a stalk with sunflower like flowers. The sap can be dried and chewed like gum.
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Plant ID - 05/16/19 05:46 PM

You may also want to look up giant hogweed. Not something to fool around with ! If this is what you have you would likely be blistering already.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Plant ID - 05/16/19 06:07 PM

Don't believe it to be giant hogweed. I've dealt with that plant. Nothing to mess with. Does resemble some strain of a brassica.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums