Home

Yard Birding For Sparrows

Posted By: Jonathan

Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 03:59 AM

The non-pest migratory species of sparrows are an interesting study for me this time of year in my yard. Among those that stop here in the spring, the Lincoln's Sparrows are probably my favorites. They are a neat little bird and great to watch. A pair arrived Saturday, and have been active to date.

Jonathan

Lincoln's Sparrows

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Video
https://flic.kr/p/TKV2Ds
Posted By: 30/06

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 06:11 AM

Understated but pretty. Thank you Jonathan.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Understated but pretty. Thank you Jonathan.

yes, he is.

and the sparrow's pretty cool, too!
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 10:49 AM

Beautiful job on the pictures Jonathan .
Posted By: RdFx

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 11:16 AM

Great pics, keep them coming, i have white crowned and yellow sparrows coming through
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 07:50 PM

Lovely captures, Jonathan. The sparrow clan are indeed a challenge in their diverse colours and song. Along with the Wobblers smile
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Lovely captures, Jonathan. The sparrow clan are indeed a challenge in their diverse colours and song. Along with the Wobblers smile

and in your neck of the woods..........there are 10 western Wobblers that Jonathan does not have to deal with.
And your Flycathers you have to know your elevation to know what species in your woods Sharon.

I still don't have one ticked off my Life List of those Yellow sparrows that RdFx is hiding in his back yard.

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 11:34 PM

If this is SparrowsRUS, I have some to put on the shelf. laugh Three came in today to put on display.

Jonathan

White-crowned Sparrow
[Linked Image]

White-throated Sparrow
[Linked Image]

Song Sparrow
[Linked Image]
Posted By: charles

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/15/19 11:49 PM

Many fell to a BB in my youth. Nothing was safe. Neighbor's dad made up pick our kill once and his wife fried them and we had to eat the birds we killed. Probably a smorgasboard of feathered friends. I remember they were cooked in an electric frying pan in the 1950s.

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/16/19 12:49 AM

It was getting a bit too dark to avoid graininess in this photo of a Chipping Sparrow. I'll try to replace it in my album with a better daylight shot tomorrow.

Jonathan

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/16/19 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
Originally Posted by Sharon

and in your neck of the woods..........there are 10 western Wobblers that Jonathan does not have to deal with.
And your Flycathers you have to know your elevation to know what species in your woods Sharon.

I still don't have one ticked off my Life List of those Yellow sparrows that RdFx is hiding in his back yard.

Yes N50, all over here ...near water I like hearing the Flycatchers. I don't know the different ones well, though.

Jonathan, you listed one of my faves- the Song sparrow - sure love their bubbly song !

Lovely pics !

On the surface ....
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/16/19 01:09 AM

Sharon it was quite a eye-opener when I travelled in the Alberta foothills with a collector from the National museums of Canada, he had a good :" tone note recognition ", when he made a song recording made; a quick decision had to be made for a collection, man my flatlander legs had quite a work-out those two days. Real work only started when the triggers were pulled which did not happen because both sexes were not seen at the same time when I was there.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/16/19 01:51 AM

Great photos Jonathan, thank you for sharing!

I've been doing a lot of work down in Eagle Pass, Texas and the Lincoln's sparrow was the most common winter bird during out winter bird surveys. They were found in every habitat type! Really incredible how far they travel for winter and summer ranges.

Really like the challenge of ID-ing sparrows; they are fun!

I have not seen a chipping sparrow or white-throated here in a month. In the midst of winter, they are the most common species at the bird feeder and in the brush for me in central Texas.
Posted By: Chancey

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/16/19 02:01 AM

Thought I would share this pic of an olive sparrow if you don't mind. Kind of a south Texas specialty.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/16/19 03:53 AM

Wow, that's more kinds than I've seen
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Yard Birding For Sparrows - 05/16/19 04:32 PM

I love the chipping sparrows. They love to follow my blue birds around and steal insects from them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums