Home

Coal plants in the world today

Posted By: Anonymous

Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 12:16 PM

Found this on another thread and found it interesting if true.
Not sure the source but if this is even close to accurate, the world can move away from blaming the USA
for their perceived climate change and $$$ grab of this nation's wallet under the banner of a "carbon tax".

How many coal plants are there in the world today?

The EU has 468 building 27 more... Total 495

Turkey has 56 building 93 more... Total 149

South Africa has 79 building 24 more... Total 103

India has 589 building 446 more... Total 1036

Philippines has 19 building 60 more... Total 79

South Korea has 58 building 26 more... Total 84

Japan has 90 building 45 more... Total135

China has 2363 building 1171 more...Total 3534

That’s 5,615 projected coal powered plants in just 8 countries.

USA HAS 15 BUILDING 0 MORE ..... TOTAL 15
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 12:22 PM

Pretty sure we have more then 15 coal plants.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 12:32 PM

The US is sitting on about a half a trillion tons of coal. Seems foolish not to make good use of it.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 12:42 PM

I know that they are changing or coal power plants over to gas. Better emissions.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 12:42 PM

I certainly do not want to put American Coal miners out of work, but I'm very concerned with acid rain down wind of the coal burning plants.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 01:14 PM

The average share of electricity generated from coal in the US has dropped from 52.8% in 1997 to 27.4% in 2018. In 2017, there were 359 coal-powered units at the electrical utilities across the US, with a total nominal capacity of 256 GW (compared to 1024 units at nominal 278 GW in 2000).

google
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 01:19 PM

big shift has been to natural gas because its cheaper now and you probably couldn't build a coal fired plant even if it put out 0 emissions
Posted By: wr otis

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 01:24 PM

I know farmers adding sulfur to corn ground, twenty some pounds per acre.

CDR Carl spent a couple years working in Ohio coal fired plants installing scrubbers, billions spent on upgrades. Same plants the government insisted have upgrades, goverment then squeezed out of business.

The problem with the glorious Paris Accord, is the big polluters were left out on exemption till later.
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherman
I certainly do not want to put American Coal miners out of work, but I'm very concerned with acid rain down wind of the coal burning plants.

Not sure where you heard about acid rain, but I live 30 minutes from a coal power plant and fish the river directly beneath it and have been rained on plenty. Just normal rain, All the plants around all of the power plants I have been around look awfully green and healthy, for background I build mining equipment and have been to 15 coal mines and 5 coal fired power plants. Not saying i'm an expert but I have some first hand knowledge
Posted By: Newt

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 01:32 PM

We have the knowlage to burn coal clean. But the oil loby is keeping us from doing so.
Posted By: petehall

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:00 PM

15 coal plants???
Maybe one state
in 2017 there were 359 in USA
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbs

Not sure where you heard about acid rain, but I live 30 minutes from a coal power plant and fish the river directly beneath it and have been rained on plenty. Just normal rain, All the plants around all of the power plants I have been around look awfully green and healthy, for background I build mining equipment and have been to 15 coal mines and 5 coal fired power plants. Not saying i'm an expert but I have some first hand knowledge

Some acid rain occurs naturally, but sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide emissions from smokestacks combine with rain to make sulfuric and nitric acid in amounts that harm the environment. The region of the United States most harmed by acid rain is the East Coast, including the Appalachian Mountains and the Northeast.

Not to mention the acidic water freeing mercury from rocks.

Mercury is a highly toxic element that becomes an air pollutant largely through emissions from coal-fired power plants. It is also broken free from rock and soil by acidic water. Small amounts are also contained in the same pollution that causes acid rain

The NYS Dept. of Health issued a warning in April 2005 that still stands urging that women of child-bearing age and children younger than 15 avoid eating fish from most waters in the Adirondack and Catskill mountain regions because of mercury contamination. Larger predatory freshwater fish like black bass, walleye and pike generally contain higher levels of methylmercury.

Acid rain devastated the Adirondack fisheries for decades, wiping out fish in lakes and streams . I believe it is on the way to recovery.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:18 PM

https://www.statista.com/statistics...coal-power-plants-in-selected-countries/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Timothy

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:18 PM

There will be two less in IL. Synergy is closing the duck creek station and the plant in Havana, IL. This is after millions was spent to upgrade the plants . Makes no sense to me.
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:20 PM

Acid rain was supposed to kill us all in the 80's just like the ice age in the 70's and global warming in the 90's. Now because of climate change we only have 12 years to live lol.

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:21 PM

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...1st-new-u-s-plant-since-2015-set-to-open

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:22 PM

We are now Sulphur deficient in this part of the state. We used to get free Sulphur, spread by nature. Now we buy the Sulphur, pay to have it trucked, then we have to spread it. Like the old system better. Every one now has blossom end rot on their tomatoes from lack of Sulphur, but a handful of gypsum for every plant and it goes away. I call it a Liberal disease since they shut down the coal plants here. Mike

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:22 PM

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/mapped-every-power-plant-in-the-united-states/

[Linked Image]

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:26 PM

https://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/carbon-dioxide/

[Linked Image]

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 02:35 PM

Low points on the co2 graph coincide with ice ages?
Of course co and co2 levels are higher now and increasing in the last ten thousand years. Humans are the problem here, no other species has changed/ruined the environment like we have.
Posted By: Dean Mitchell

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 06:32 PM

I worked in a coal fired power plant for 36 years. It is now shut down and being striped of anything salvageable. They are planning on imploding it sometime this fall according to rumors.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 08:16 PM

I have a buddy that used to work at a coal power plant. He was around when someone was complaining about mercury in the water and blamed it on the coal power plant. Now this was in the middle of summer. My buddy said, that’s no problem. Just go home and turn off your a/c and lights. That guy just looked at him and walked off.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/15/19 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Gator Foot
I have a buddy that used to work at a coal power plant. He was around when someone was complaining about( mercy) in the water and blamed it on the coal power plant. Now this was in the middle of summer. My buddy said, that’s no problem. Just go home and turn off your a/c and lights. That guy just looked at him and walked off.

You mean Mercury?
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 10:02 AM

there are none left in u p of Michigan last one I Marquette they closed
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 10:28 AM

you need to "get with the program"...the acid rain scare tactic went out in the 80's. we're using the "global warm"...I mean "climate change" scare tactic now.

ANYTHING to convince Americans to give up their competitive advantage. (It's a shame they don't understand that Individual Freedom is what made us great)
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin

you need to "get with the program"...the acid rain scare tactic went out in the 80's. we're using the "global warm"...I mean "climate change" scare tactic now.

ANYTHING to convince Americans to give up their competitive advantage. (It's a shame they don't understand that Individual Freedom is what made us great)

X2
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Timothy
There will be two less in IL. Synergy is closing the duck creek station and the plant in Havana, IL. This is after millions was spent to upgrade the plants . Makes no sense to me.

This is how Congress members become millionnaires......
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 11:46 AM

X3 white marlin

Everyone should read “A Disgrace to the Profession” by Mark Steyn
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 01:01 PM

They prefer us not to be great, just to embarrassing. Mike
Posted By: sako22

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 03:03 PM

The underground limestone mine I worked in produced lime almost exclusively for coal fired power plant scrubbers. They have lost a lot of business and contracts in the last few years and are in pretty bad shape now. Used to be we couldn't send enough rock up the conveyor and out of the hole to keep up with demand. Now they are shutting down kilns. A lot of families in that area depend on that mine to make a living. Not many other jobs around in that area
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 04:33 PM

I have 3 within a 20 mile radius of me. Im the black blob seen on the map in PA. There is/was talk about converting over to gas but I haven't been keeping up. Some guy/emissions expert from Virginia told me years ago that the one closest to me spews out the most mercury of all of them. Excuse me I have to go get this growth on my neck checked out.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hobbs

So be careful or you'll turn out like Hobbs. grin
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Pretty sure we have more then 15 coal plants.

Not that many...I live within 20 miles of two and similar plants across the river are being shut down or converted to natural gas.
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 05:45 PM

We have a recently built natural gas powered plant in my home county with half a dozen more planned in the county.

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 07:55 PM

If we can put a man on the moon, we should have the technology to burn clean oil. I, for one, am tired of burning oil from people in the middle east. If we stopped buying from them I wonder how long it would take for them to be back living in tents and using camels for transportation.
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 08:17 PM

Coal isn’t the entire answer nor is gas, wind, hydro, oil, sunlight or nuclear. Combined, we have enough power to keep us running. Coal alone gave us acid rain before scrubbers were required. Gas gives us lots of CO2. Wind doesn’t always blow nor does the sun always blaze hot and clear. Nuclear is an accident waiting to happen and it’s catastrophic when it does. Oil is just too darned expensive and belches greenhouse gases, etc. Together, we have a system that continues to provide jobs either for building up or correcting operational problems. I’m glad I’m not an energy strategist. Things are changing constantly and you’re never going to make everyone happy all of the time.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 10:29 PM

Emissions is not the only drawback with coal. Storage of the ash that contains some nasty stuff is also a big expense factor. Much of the ash is buried in unlined fills and the nasty stuff leaches into the water table. Duke power had a major ash spill from one of their NC plants a couple of years ago that polluted miles of the Dan river. It is costing them and me as their customer a small fortune to dig up all of the ash in unlined landfills in NC and move it to the safer lined landfills.

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 11:35 PM

What would make you think oil is going to burn clean?
The reason we get oil overseas is because the gas fraction in the oil is much higher than say the nw pa crude.
Posted By: charles

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/16/19 11:50 PM

I was in Beijeng two years ago. Cannot imagine that they are building another coal fired plant. Air quality was terrible. Even the Chinese people were complaining!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 12:21 AM

There are 46,000 chinamen born each day,according to current statistics.
Only 4,400 die each day.Most from air pollution related illnesses.
So roughly there are 10 born for each one that kicks off.

In India there are 49,500 births per day and 14,500 deaths per day.Just over 3 to 1

In the usa there are 11,000 births per day and 7,500 deaths per day.

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 02:18 AM

I suppose cigarettes kill as many people in the world as any man made problem. Of course, those deaths are from poluted air as well.

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
Emissions is not the only drawback with coal. Storage of the ash that contains some nasty stuff is also a big expense factor. Much of the ash is buried in unlined fills and the nasty stuff leaches into the water table. Duke power had a major ash spill from one of their NC plants a couple of years ago that polluted miles of the Dan river. It is costing them and me as their customer a small fortune to dig up all of the ash in unlined landfills in NC and move it to the safer lined landfills.

Not all the ash is buried. Its being used a lot in road construction and a lot of other products can be derived from it. The one plant near me, the smaller of the two, has its ash put into use.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 02:46 AM

I started in the mines in 1976, setting props in the Pittsburgh Seam while full retreating, and retired in 2013 as GM of a company with 23 mines. Steam coal should, and still remains, an important component of the US electrical grid. It has, however, been surpassed by gas plant burning cheap Marcellus gas here in the Eastern US. Metallurgical coal has been the bright spot for the coal industry as of late.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 11:08 AM

American Olympic athletes left the Beijing games a couple years ago because the air pollution was so bad. You can bet China isn't going to clean up their act, yet Americans are supposed to go back to the stone age and save the whole world. ??? Ain't happenin............... Americans will not give up their luxuries to appease the rest of the world, who is doing nothing about pollution.
California is supposedly the most environmental-friendly place, yet it's the filthiest place in the country.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 11:42 AM

We are flaring of lots of nat gas. It would be stupid to not use this cleaner energy source when it's practical. There really is no such thing as "clean coal".
There will always be a demand for met coal. Big markets for steam coal days are numbered.
BTW, my grandfather owned coal a coal mine and my father was a coal miner all his life.

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 02:16 PM

Sounds like the world needs better birth control !

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 02:27 PM

China wants cleaner air. Their air is a national disgrace and embarrassment.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by wr otis
Of course co and co2 levels are higher now and increasing in the last ten thousand years. Humans are the problem here, no other species has changed/ruined the environment like we have.

Can you definitively say that co2 level fluctuation with temperature fluctuations is the cause and not the effect of the fluctuations

Re: Coal plants in the world today - 05/17/19 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Originally Posted by wr otis

Can you definitively say that co2 level fluctuation with temperature fluctuations is the cause and not the effect of the fluctuations

CO2 has been shown that historically that it lags warming of temperatures and fails to prevent cooling.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums