Home

Asparagus question

Posted By: RonH

Asparagus question - 05/15/19 04:14 PM

I have a 3 year old bed that has settled and tends to stay wet. It produces, but seems it could do better if I can get some water to shed off of it. Can I add 2-3 inches of dirt without killing/hurting the existing plants? Thanks for all input and advise.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Asparagus question - 05/15/19 04:27 PM

Yes, It won't hurt a thing. I put ten inches of fresh horse manure on mine. You can add more manure every year. Asparagus is a heavy feeding plant and you won't kill it that way.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Asparagus question - 05/16/19 12:50 AM

more organic soil and the root system will grow into it over the summer, it really does not like wet roots in the winter months especially the frost freeze cycles.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Asparagus question - 05/16/19 12:52 AM

salt it

Re: Asparagus question - 05/16/19 01:52 PM

Thank You all, I do salt it routinely for weed control. Main concern was if I would "smother" it by adding dirt and burying the crown but sounds like it will be fine. It just holds a lot of moisture, course with the winter and spring we've had, everything is holding a lot of moisture.
Posted By: Alex the dog

Re: Asparagus question - 05/16/19 02:36 PM

For you guys that add manure or compost, what is the timing? I usually add triple 19 when done harvesting and some compost in late summer, just curious if that is the correct timing.

Dave

Re: Asparagus question - 05/18/19 12:51 AM

I am curious on timing of adding compost or manure also. And.. Is there a calculation for how much salt others add, or do you use the toss it on til it looks right method?
Posted By: Bad Dog

Re: Asparagus question - 05/18/19 05:29 AM

I'm totally ignorant... I assume that asparagus likes salt? Salinity? My parents live in an alkalia area and the asparagus seem s to do super good, I take it it likes salinity???

I plan to seed an acre when I move there so when the world is nearing the end,we can all eat lots of asparagus I. The spring!!!

Yahweh WILL RETURN soon!!!

Re: Asparagus question - 05/26/19 01:02 AM

Bringing this back to see if any thoughts on timing of adding compost or manure and volume of salt, thanks.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Asparagus question - 05/26/19 02:48 AM

Wish I knew about the salt
Posted By: beeman

Re: Asparagus question - 05/26/19 12:36 PM

From what I have read asparagus is tolerant of salt. Salt does not help asparagus grow. People put salt on their asparagus to control weeds.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Asparagus question - 05/26/19 05:38 PM

If the water is coming from surface type sources than adding high organic matter material can help absorb extra moisture. If the bed is in a lower spot where near surface soils remain saturated for long periods of time then the excess water will limit the health of your crop. If you have a long term soil saturation issue developing a raised be in that spot may be a better option.

Bryce
© 2024 Trapperman Forums