Home

Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old

Posted By: Catch22

Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 04:30 PM

Are they still good lol. They were frozen in water in 2014 and somehow got buried in the freezer.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 04:32 PM

great mink bait

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by pcr2
great mink bait

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo, I wants to eats them lol. If I wasted these I'm gonna be PO'd!
Posted By: white17

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 04:38 PM

I'd feel a bit jumpy about eating something that old
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 04:53 PM

Thaw and smell.

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 05:17 PM

hopfully they'll be o.k..
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 05:17 PM

go catch some fresh ones.

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 05:20 PM

cook em up and let the wife try the first one.i still have a son at home for such things.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 05:43 PM

If they were frozen in water I would say they were ok or even in vacuum packed bags that had stayed solidly frozen frozen wouldn’t be worried, I have dined on a few steaks and other meat that found it’s way to the bottom of the freezer and as long as they were either water packed or vac packed they have been good as new

I remember a fundraiser back in the late 80s early 90s where the main course was mammoth stake from a mammoth that was found frozen in a glacier and that would have been a way lot older the 5 years frozen
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by white17
I'd feel a bit jumpy about eating something that old

You must be feeling froggy
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 06:06 PM

if completely covered in water they are good
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 06:13 PM

Let us know how they were Catch. post up some pictures...
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 06:18 PM

Get the oil hot if they aren’t freezer burned. You’ll be able to easily tell if they're burned

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Let us know how they were Catch. post up some pictures...

Will do, they're thawing now. If they don't smell bad, they'll be rolled in flour, S&P and fried this evening. If they're bad, I'm trapping coons in a barn so I guess they won't go to waste lol.
Posted By: Gator Foot

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 06:31 PM

They might be bad! You can send them to me!! I will take care of them! And let you know.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 08:53 PM

YUM YUM! Eat 'em up!

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 08:56 PM

you shouldn't croak.
Posted By: Lance Squires

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 08:58 PM

Depends on how much time you want to spend on the toilet tonight. HA. If the bag isn't full of frost you might be OK. I wouldn't take the chance.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 09:01 PM

This is the most interesting and punny thread I have read all week.

I'm looking forward to the pictures and report.
You know Lulu wouldn't waste them, she would fry them right up.

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 09:15 PM

Well, they don't seem to smell strong but the skin is yellow and feels weird. I'm thinking I better fix something else lol.

[Linked Image]

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 09:37 PM

lord hates a coward. grin
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 11:04 PM

Well, it’s time for me to tell my shrimp story. I had an uncle who moved from Pa. to Gulfport, Mississippi back in the mid 60s. He worked at the shipyard as a welder but shrimped on his days off. Every summer he came back North to visit for a week. He always loaded his Pontiac wagon with shrimp in ice chests for his family in Pa.

Fast forward to 1987. My Grandmother had recently died, and my uncle ( from Mississippi ) and I were cleaning out her home for an estate auction. She was the original hoarder. In the basement there were 3 chest freezers. On the bottom of one of them was a full 5# waxed pasteboard shrimp box. The marker handwriting on the box was from his ex wife, who he divorced in 1971. He moved back North that same year. My uncle opened the box which was full of shrimp an then filled with water and froze. After thawing in the sink, there were a few shrimp on the outside of the cube that were freezer burned, but the remainder looked fine. My uncle deep fried them for dinner that night....tasted great.

They would have been in that freezer for at least 16 years.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 11:07 PM

What a wuss! They wouldn't hurt you if they were totally freezer burned! All freezer burn is, is drying the moisture out of meat while being frozen. We recently cleaned out two big freezers, and found hamburger, steaks, roasts, all kinds of stuff buried. Didn't throw any of it away. Just ate meat balls fixed with the last of some of it that was at least seven years old. We learned a trick using buttermilk, to marinate in, for at least overnight that helps tremendously. It ain't as good as the new stuff, but it is for sure edible, and my arse is too tight to just throw it!
Posted By: waggler

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 11:31 PM

I think they will be just fine since they were frozen in water. Since you won't have to worry about freezer burn the only other thing about long term freezing is the fats/oils in meat getting rancid, and I doubt that frog leg meat has little if any fat.

An example would be frozen salmon; salmon has a lot of oils and will get somewhat rancid and fishy tasting after long term freezing (unless kept at extremely cold conditions).

Halibut on the other hand is a very lean fish and will retain a good flavor when frozen much, much longer than will salmon.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/15/19 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
What a wuss! They wouldn't hurt you if they were totally freezer burned! All freezer burn is, is drying the moisture out of meat while being frozen. We recently cleaned out two big freezers, and found hamburger, steaks, roasts, all kinds of stuff buried. Didn't throw any of it away. Just ate meat balls fixed with the last of some of it that was at least seven years old. We learned a trick using buttermilk, to marinate in, for at least overnight that helps tremendously. It ain't as good as the new stuff, but it is for sure edible, and my arse is too tight to just throw it!

Im with you Lee,,i never waste it!!!

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 01:48 AM

[Linked Image]
I didn't wuss out, I just happened to change my mind. grin
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 01:50 AM

Sounds like something a snowflake would say. whistle

wink grin

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Sounds like something a snowflake would say. whistle

wink grin

I'm greatly offended by that. grin
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 03:11 AM

Now I'm hungry. Time to go dumpster diving in the deep freeze. I am certain that there are both frog legs and wild turkey breast strips frozen in water in there older than 5 years.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Catch22
[Linked Image]
I didn't wuss out, I just happened to change my mind. grin

Next time bet you won't froget they are in the freezer. By the way your meal looks like it might be just a tad-Polish.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 06:20 PM

I have never waited longer than the next day to eat any frog legs I caught. At 6:00pm on June 8th, you'll be able to catch some fresh frog legs in Ohio.

Keith

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I have never waited longer than the next day to eat any frog legs I caught. At 6:00pm on June 8th, you'll be able to catch some fresh frog legs in Ohio.

Keith

I'm waiting for that day Keith. I really don't know how this happened because frog legs are in my top 3 of favorite things to eat. I'm upset that I did that, but I did make bait out of them so it wasn't a total loss.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 07:19 PM

Might be like chewing on a gummy bear,but go ahead and eat them.It will bolster your immune system.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/16/19 08:48 PM

I'm waiting for that day Keith. I really don't know how this happened because frog legs are in my top 3 of favorite things to eat. I'm upset that I did that, but I did make bait out of them so it wasn't a total loss.

You wussed out! I can't believe you didn't at least try them before you chucked them. I ate some fish awhile back that was prolly ten years old, froze in water, and tasted good! (shakes head)
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/17/19 11:55 AM

frozen is frozen. I'd eat them. Especially deep freezer ones. I got deer sausage that old I'm eating. Roasts. Hams. Turkeys. Deep Freezer stuff lasts a long time.

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/17/19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer

You wussed out! I can't believe you didn't at least try them before you chucked them. I ate some fish awhile back that was prolly ten years old, froze in water, and tasted good! (shakes head)

Give it to him Lee!!!

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/17/19 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by OhioBoy
frozen is frozen. I'd eat them. Especially deep freezer ones. I got deer sausage that old I'm eating. Roasts. Hams. Turkeys. Deep Freezer stuff lasts a long time.

yup frozen is frozen,even if a little freezer burned its ok.
Posted By: KB64

Re: Frog legs found in freezer 5 years old - 05/19/19 06:51 PM

Freezing stops the clock on spoilage but doesn't reset it. In other words, if an item had a 5 day time for freshness when frozen, it would be fresh for 5 days once thawed if held at a safe temp (less than 41 degrees). Long term freezing may affect taste and texture but it would still be safe to eat if handled properly.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums