Home

Speed dip question

Posted By: coonman220

Speed dip question - 05/15/19 08:44 PM

This topic has been beat on lot but Toma afternoon I have free time an 80s out, warmer temps in 70s low to mid the rest week but active weather pattern an bound to get hit with rain more once. Could the rain start some surface rust if hang from tree few days ? Or be better wait till next month
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Speed dip question - 05/15/19 08:48 PM

If your wanting to get some rust on them, hang them out anytime.

Re: Speed dip question - 05/15/19 10:26 PM

No I Dont want rust on them , I want to dip an considered about when drying an rain on them
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Speed dip question - 05/15/19 10:28 PM

Once that crap dries, it's water/rust proof, if not, it can wash off.

Re: Speed dip question - 05/15/19 11:05 PM

It takes long time to dry, I mean it tacky an sticky for while, especally for several days. Maybe should see what next weekend weather bring
Posted By: trapr

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 12:45 AM

if your speed dip is tacky in a few days you need to add more solvent, it should dry in a few hours of high temps.
lot of people make the mistake of getting the mix right and then using it in hot temps without replacing solvent as it evaporates from there container.It is amazing how much high flash solvent can evaporate in an hour leaving the dip to thick.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 12:55 AM

Pour the quart of speed dip into a plastic bucket.....then add 1 gallon of Coleman lantern fuel....mix well....dip and hang,on a warm day....if it rains the next day....no problems. I have traps i dipped and hung this way...and they are still hanging between 2 trees....it going on 4 years now....they are mint !

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 01:08 AM

They would rust out in 4 years. I mix mine on thin side, there going to be tacky an sticky for long time. No matter what

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by coonman220
They would rust out in 4 years. I mix mine on thin side, there going to be tacky an sticky for long time. No matter what

What’s your definition of thin....ratio ?

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 03:40 AM

Approximately 6-1

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 12:29 PM

Approximately 6-1

That should flash off quick.....I have had no problem....but I use Coleman lantern fuel...not gas
Posted By: tbn

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 12:31 PM

I don't have that problem with pump gas. Dry to touch in couple hours. Of course I do mine when 100 degrees and no humidity.

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 05:36 PM

I use latern fuel, maybe that trick to it, find a day when got time an hot , breezy lower humidity, usally hot days are humid. To much rain in forecast, hopefully next weekend, memorial day weekend , is speed dip the best rust preservative? Once it on traps. Pretty much stuck with it, I wouldn't use on k- 9 trapping, some say work, others don't, for best success, I not recommend on them, I use on water traps, land connibears, some stakes that rusty, u can see rust show though the dip in rusted trap, I have no traps that are weaken by rust or more surface.

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 08:53 PM

It is the best for me and what I do. All of my 220's get dipped and only do them every 2 or 3 years.I am not afraid of rust either.And yes I treated k-9 traps for several years as well,and never noticed a difference in catches compared to dying. I don't even think about using speed dip until August. Doing them now with the high humidity and are bound to be a sticky mess guy.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Speed dip question - 05/16/19 09:07 PM

I've always done mine with non-ethanol gas, mixed thinner than what the can says, I don't remember the ratio because I'm still using the same bucket of mixed dip that I started with 3 years ago. It's dry by the end of the day for me.

Re: Speed dip question - 05/19/19 07:13 PM

So dipping on any days with some humidity an under 80s for temp is not good ? I usally hang outside for 3 days, bring in cellar an at times with humidity in summer, trap a lil sticky, until fall, when cooler. Weather comes

Re: Speed dip question - 05/19/19 07:26 PM

So dipping on any days with some humidity an under 80s for temp is not good ? I usally hang outside for 3 days, bring in cellar an at times with humidity in summer, trap a lil sticky, until fall, when cooler. Weather comes

So you been on this web site since 2008.......and still have a speed dip question ? Or am I missing something ? Just dip and hang...you cant do anything about the weather.....and trapping season is 6 months away....I think you’ll be ok.

Re: Speed dip question - 06/01/19 06:45 PM

If was to speed dip today, cloudy, mid 70s, a lil on humid side, tonite in low 50s, tomma sunny, low humidity, 70s, low. Would they dry outdoors?or is it important to cure the dip immediately
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Speed dip question - 06/01/19 07:42 PM

You will be fine coonman. Just mix it then.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Speed dip question - 06/02/19 02:00 AM

I use it 2 gal of high octane(93) to one can dip. I dip no later than july and hang them out all summer under an awning. In our high humidity it takes some time to totally dry.

Re: Speed dip question - 06/02/19 06:39 AM

I dip an dry ok earlier an tomma in mid 70s an mon, sunny to ,is mid 70s under a shade tree , is that good to cure dip ? Not sure of ratio of mix, but added maybe quart of Coleman, at least 6 to 1, ratio. Might been 7 to 1, I guessing when started. Bfore some gas evaporate, pretty thin, everthing look ok, except some footholds. The dip seen to run off some surface rust areas. I may spray paint some footholds on rust areas. In few weeks, spray the dip ? If lil tacky, not sure if ok

Re: Speed dip question - 06/02/19 12:37 PM

Yeah sure go for it.

Re: Speed dip question - 06/03/19 09:12 PM

Does speed dip actually penetrate an stop good surface rust ? Is spray paint some freshly dip traps a few days later , where rust came though, a ok idea , some footholds have rust spots though dip
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Speed dip question - 06/03/19 09:20 PM

That is because you're thinning the dip too much. IMO.

Re: Speed dip question - 06/03/19 10:16 PM

It looks ok on connibears. But on some footholds. It runs off rust spots , or rust show though , being to thin, still helps protect trap some
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Speed dip question - 06/04/19 12:11 AM

Dip them again when it's to thin. The second coat will cover.

Re: Speed dip question - 06/04/19 01:33 AM

Maybe just get some flat black spray paint for dome I pick out , to much job to dip agsin, the way I got do it
© 2024 Trapperman Forums