Home

Nuisance beaver calls starting.

Posted By: Boco

Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/16/19 11:34 PM

The snow is just melting off the backroads and the nuisance calls have started already.Season ended yesterday and the calls started today,lol.
Got called out to 4 locations on the one road for starters.
I just took 9 beaver out a week ago during the fur season in this area..I guess they want any that are left removed.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Frost heaved the culvert up at one spot and the run off got under it and is flipping it.
Posted By: Sheepdog1

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 12:34 AM

I would take my fishing tackle while setting up that spot.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 12:48 AM

Know anyone how can get the job done? grin
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 01:14 AM

Go get em

Hard to imagine snow just now melting. Approaching 90 degree Fahrenheit these days here! Beavers will be swimming topless here in about a month and a half.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 01:47 AM

It was 70f for a few days,but we had about 10 feet of snowfall this winter,so even when its warm it takes a long time for it to all go.
There will still be pockets of snow in low shaded areas in the bush in June.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 01:49 AM

Got 3 places set up for nuisance beaver.....Beavah Bucks Baby !!!!
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 01:52 AM

83 here on Sunday and snow level down to 5000 foot tonight 2 feet plus in the mountains. Heck its May

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 02:07 AM

Elevation here is about 750 ft.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 03:03 AM

You have a fun life Boco. Never a dull moment in your neck of the woods.
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 10:36 AM

Boco is that pipe a frost heave?
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:28 AM

Someone put a tv antenna on this beaver house. I thought funny....

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Beavers-with-TV-Antennas-(joke,-true)
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by nyhuntfish
Someone put a tv antenna on this beaver house. I thought funny....

https://www.trappersreport.com/story/Beavers-with-TV-Antennas-(joke,-true)

That's hilarious!

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 12:47 PM

Marathon,it started off as a frost heave,that allowed the water to get under the pipe when the frost went out.I have seen that often.The water will eventually flip the pipe once it starts to go if there is enough pressure.Or it will wash both sides of the pipe.

ny,the beavers are watching the Stanley cup playoffs.
Posted By: MN4Life

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 01:55 PM

Ratbrain--My wife and I drove by that house last week as we were out and about. That is not Photshopped. In even better news, our county people got to me this week and I now have three nuisance jobs to get on this weekend. It is starting out to be a good summer.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 02:08 PM

Why is it these people call after the close of the season ?
Posted By: marathonman

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 02:21 PM

[quote=Boco]Marathon,it started off as a frost heave,that allowed the water to get under the pipe when the frost went out.I have seen that often.The water will eventually flip the pipe once it starts to go if there is enough pressure.Or it will wash both sides of the pipe.
I have seen it wash out both sides a few times before.usually on a pipe that has been installed the previous year.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 04:50 PM

Fisherman,they call after the season because before the season ends they have to call MNR who will contact the trapper who owns the line to take care of the problem.
After the season ends the nuisance beaver program kicks in and all calls to the MNR concerning nuisance beaver are directed to the nuisance beaver program co Ordinator.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 05:17 PM

I just hate killing lactating females.Each to their own, but down here I have stopped doing nuisance beaver jobs in the spring.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 06:15 PM

I dont like it either,but when they are causing public safety problems they gotta go.And with some trappers cutting back on harvesting because of lower prices it provides needed management of the resource,to some extent.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 06:32 PM

You guys need more trappers up there.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 06:41 PM

Lots of trappers but the country is big.
Around 280 trappers in my area,Cochrane to Hearst..

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherman
I just hate killing lactating females.Each to their own, but down here I have stopped doing nuisance beaver jobs in the spring.

I feel the same as you Fisherman. We have a 5 month open season here (Nov.-Mar.)

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 07:53 PM

I would sooner take out the pregnant females in May than take them in June,and then have to catch the young..

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I would sooner take out the pregnant females in May than take them in June,and then have to catch the young..

I do not have a problem trapping pregnant beaver. We have caught them in late March that were close to giving birth.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:03 PM

Nailed 3 today.
The Road crew pulled up the washed culvert,and will re-install it when the water goes down.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:08 PM

I understand that trapping nuisance beaver is necessary, do it myself. I just hate catching a nursing female that the kits in the lodge will die.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:13 PM

I understand that trapping nuisance beaver is necessary, do it myself. I just hate catching a nursing female that the kits in the lodge will die.

Read what Boco said above my previous post.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:15 PM

Natures Nachos, somethig will get in there and Eat them. Something dies, something eats.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:19 PM

The kits wont stay in the lodge too long after birth.They are very well developed at birth and the mother takes them out of the lodge after a few days.Once they are out they are very easy to catch at the spot where you caught the mother.They cannot get back into the lodge without the mother because they are too buoyant.Lots of times when I have caught the mother at the dam the little ones are hiding in the sticks at the lower side of the dam.
If you cant find them,you can use the urine from the mother at the site where you caught her and the young can be caught.
[Linked Image]
That is a pic of two kits killed in a 330 where the mother was caught the night before using urine.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/17/19 11:21 PM

The kits wont stay in the lodge too long after birth.They are very well developed at birth and the mother takes them out of the lodge after a few days.Once they are out they are very easy to catch at the spot where you caught the mother.They cannot get back into the lodge without the mother because they are too buoyant.Lots of times when I have caufht the mother at the dam the little ones are hiding in the sticks at the lower side of the dam.
If you cant find them,you can use the urine from the mother at the site where you caught her and the young can be caught.
[Linked Image]
That is two kits killed in a 330 where the mother was caught the night before.

Thanks for that valuable information Boco.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 12:22 AM

Boco.....you whizz on your sets ? I’ll have to try that.......lol
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 12:32 AM

Why is it these people call after the close of the season ?

Around here, just below the Canadian border, beaver are moving around at about the time season closes, on the 15th of May. I took care of several spots in the week before season closed.

Now that season is over with, people are just noticing water levels rising and a few beaver have dispersed to places that will be a problem.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 12:34 AM

Just cleared a pond...only 4.....375.00.....Beaver Bucks !!

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 12:51 AM

Folks wont pay that here. Usually they manage to kill, cripple, maim, and make wary them beaver don't to just the last one...then they call me and ask me to wipe them out, and they think I enjoy that trapping opportunity, so I should do it for free.

That's how a Minnesotan thinks.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Folks wont pay that here. Usually they manage to kill, cripple, maim, and make wary them beaver don't to just the last one...then they call me and ask me to wipe them out, and they think I enjoy that trapping opportunity, so I should do it for free.

And if you don't do it some other guy will try. Everybody in MN has had some water trapping experience. Most people don't know to hire a pro like boco is the most cost effective way.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:01 AM

I’ve heard that from a Minnesotan before. “You get the hide, why would you charge?”

Lol, $100 equipment, $60/hour labor (labour for Boco), $.54 per mile to and from for however many days projected for job. That is usually what I would say, if I charged, but I don’t have my NWCO permit yet. So, I do it for hunting and trapping property. wink grin

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jackdale

And if you don't do it some other guy will try. Everybody in MN has had some water trapping experience. Most people don't know to hire a pro like boco is the most cost effective way.

Should charge a convenience fee if the customer had someone else try it.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:10 AM

I have never done beaver removal for a private individual.All our contracts are with the dept of highways,local roads boards,logging companies,municipalities,hydro electric company,etc.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:13 AM

For us that is through one of the two folks who have the contract with the state to do the nuisance work, or the feds.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:13 AM

I’ve trapped beaver for 150.00 Bottle of Scotch before...lol

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

I’ve trapped beaver for 150.00 Bottle of Scotch before...lol

Sounds reasonable.

But, I’ve also trapped for “some beaver” before, and should’ve asked for Scotch.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:21 AM

Then you got drunk and the production dropped.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:44 AM

Then you got drunk and the production dropped.

Ya gotta get them drinkin Boco, that’s the trick..

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 01:54 AM

I don't do much nuisance work unless it is for the county, and it's less than 20 beaver per year usually. I try to hammer the beaver in season, and catch all the travelers I can on my regurlar line.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/18/19 02:00 AM

I also trap any potential nuisance beaver spots on my trapground in spring after ice out.Invariably more move in though sometime after the season closes.
The spot I'm working right now,I took 9 out the week before the season ended,and now 3 more a few days later on a nuisance contract.It should save the local road board a few hundred dollars just the same.
Got another call today from the power company for two spots up north on the Dam access road.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/20/19 09:12 PM

A few more pics from the nuisance beaver line.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/20/19 09:33 PM

Way to get after em Boco.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/20/19 10:02 PM

Nice. I got another call today myself. Gotta wait for permitting yet. The mother colony is on private land but keeps kicking out 2 year olds.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/20/19 10:13 PM

Any problems on private land here the complainant (dept of highways for example) has to get written permission from the owner for the trapper to go on the private land to trap the nuisance beaver.If the complainant does not submit a copy of the written permission to the trapper,a contract will not be written.
Some people try to prevent trappers from trapping the nuisance beaver on private land.But if it is a threat to the hwy,RR,or other company roadway,it will be made known to the owner that they will be liable for any damage to infrastructure or death or injury to the public if they do not remove the beavers themselves.
At that point it becomes a non issue.
I don't like going on private land to trap nuisance beaver but I will.I always make sure that they know when I start and finish and that deadly traps are being used,and to keep kids and pets tied up.

Re: Nuisance beaver calls starting. - 05/20/19 11:03 PM

I could have trapped this private land but it was some distance out of my trapline loop. So is the problem.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums