Home

Headed home from North Idaho

Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Headed home from North Idaho - 05/17/19 11:49 AM

Spent the past week in North Idaho bear hunting.

Left Oklahoma City Wednesday before last with my wife's cousin , Austin, and arrived early last Friday . We were hosted by my best friend I was in Afghanistan with and his family.

No bear steaks will be traveling back with us. Had a heck of a great time. Now I have a much better idea on places and approaches when we return as we will definitely be back.

Just an awesome experience.

Pictures and stories to come. But for now , I need to load the truck and get on the road for a 27 hour drive.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/17/19 12:01 PM

My son and I hunted spring bear in the Bitteroots almost 20 years ago. I believe it was the prettiest country in the lower 48. The best cutthroat fishing in the world too.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/17/19 12:02 PM

Great that you got to hook up with a military buddy. Friends for life. Have a safe trip and look forward to the story and pics.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/17/19 11:18 PM

Headed out there myself on Tuesday. Got to pick up a friend and hunting buddy in Ky on the way. Very much looking forward to it.

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/22/19 10:53 PM

Some pics. Hope they aren’t sideways.

Attached picture 7E2D0F65-2180-48DA-B028-EBCAE609B17C.jpeg

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/22/19 10:53 PM

And it did
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/22/19 10:56 PM

Lol, still looks good Aaron, safe travels!

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/22/19 10:57 PM

I’m home now . Just trying to show some beautiful country. Lol
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/23/19 01:22 AM

Aaron would now be a good time to mention we had a black bear run down the truck bye pass on the north edge of town the other morning. Before then we had a mtn lion in someone's garage also in town.
But the funniest was a grizzly bear that wandered through a wheat field and into a shop that was not to far away from here too.
Allan

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/23/19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
Aaron would now be a good time to mention we had a black bear run down the truck bye pass on the north edge of town the other morning. Before then we had a mtn lion in someone's garage also in town.
But the funniest was a grizzly bear that wandered through a wheat field and into a shop that was not to far away from here too.
Allan

Perfect time to mention it. Lol

Telling you guys right now... North Idaho spring bear is the most physically demanding bear hunt I've ever done. Bring your game faces. Hydrate. A lot.

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/23/19 05:08 PM

Don't have a lot of time to go into detail ,but, I was essentially the guide on this trip having never been in that area before. Took me five days to pin down what altitude they were at. Fifth day was our last day to hunt . Go figure. After seeing sows with cubs and a grizzly, we were into shootable bears by almost dark of that evening , but no shots presented. I was carrying my recurve .

Have a pretty good idea on how to plan for next year. Cousin is wanting to return in the fall. Just watching bears lit his fire. He has zero hunting experience .
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/23/19 08:14 PM

Glad you had a great trip Aaron, sorry we weren't able to meet up this time, let's make it happen this fall.

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/24/19 03:36 AM

No worries, Eric. Was disappointed , as well, but I know how things work far as schedules go.

A fall return is a very real possibility.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/24/19 04:38 AM

Aaron don't worry I've got a black bear tag still burning a hole in my wallet too I'm hoping the fall season goes better for both of us even if I will carry a rifle .
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/24/19 04:43 AM

Hey now wait a minute! Lets not be encouraging these easterners with all their fleas and such to come out here and mess around in our woods spreading who-knows-what!
Posted By: 10bands

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/24/19 04:51 AM

Really though if you'd like a crack at this guy let me know. I can't seem to get up there unless I'm elk hunting. He's not quite in North Idaho though.
[Linked Image]

Re: Headed home from North Idaho - 05/25/19 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Allan Minear
Aaron don't worry I've got a black bear tag still burning a hole in my wallet too I'm hoping the fall season goes better for both of us even if I will carry a rifle .

I'm seriously rethinking a return trip in the fall as I was initially hesitant. Especially if 10Bands will let me take a poke at that one.

Considering on bringing Ruger's new Blackhawk in .454 for my next adventure there.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums