Home

Smoking Pickled Eggs?

Posted By: Macthediver

Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/19/19 09:48 PM

We talked on here about smoking lots different things. Don't recall ever seeing anything about smoking pickled eggs. I just got my Frankenstein smoker up and running today. Got a batch of venison snack stix smoking.
Was talking smokers with my older brother the other day while building mine. He brought up the subject of wanting to try smoking some pickled eggs..Our conversation was on line so we didn't get way into it.. Anyway now that my smoker is finished and running I'm thinking I should try smoking some pickled eggs. Of course I can google it and probably find bunch of info.
But like many things T-man people are as good as Google for many subjects. I have a recipe I already use for pickling eggs so figured I'd just use it see how it turns out. Main thing I'm wondering is should I smoke first then pickle? Or pickle them, smoke them, then back in the pickle juice??
Someone out there got to have done this already.
Give me your suggestion or even your recipe's if you like..

Here is a pic of my current smoker. Old style Stainless steel catering food warmer box. Popped it up on an old gas grill frame, took side burner off gas grill build it into the box below. Smoke comes up the back panel from lower box into the upper box. Have it idling right now at about 125 degrees.. Got the box from my brother inn-law for free so my total investment in this concoction. $38.00 for 6 stainless racks..I'm smoking the snack stix using mix of oak and maple..

Might not be pretty but looks like going work just fine. For sure better than my last one which was old electric oven I rigged up and used until it rusted out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mac
Posted By: oneeyedtrapper

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 02:12 AM

I've smoked a lot of things in my smokers and hard boiled eggs are the best I've done! Peel them, cold smoke them with a fruit wood and enjoy. Definitely smoke before pickling. They also make the best deviled eggs you'll ever eat!
Posted By: snowy

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 03:10 AM

OMG I have never heard of such a thing. Lol I bet they are good and I would be gassed up for a week. Lol
Posted By: coyotesoldier229

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 04:11 AM

I smoke them once a year when my buddies and I are at salmon camp. Every year we’ll throw a few on the smoker because were usually smoking salmon or whatever else during the day. I’d prefer just the pickled eggs, and that’s a consensus between the bunch of us that like pickled eggs but worth trying, you won’t hate them smoked. They have always been beet pickled eggs. Make some deviled eggs with the pickled eggs, that’s where it’s at.

I’ll have to try plain hard boiled eggs like oneeyedtrapper said. Sounds good.
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 01:36 PM

have done smoked deviled eggs - just like said up there - peel and cold smoke, then devil - and they are good!

back to the original point

do you want smoked - pickled eggs
or
do you want pickled - smoked eggs?

I believe I would pickle first, then smoke before eatin

i dont think i would smoke them then put them in the picklejuice
Posted By: nightlife

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by oneeyedtrapper
I've smoked a lot of things in my smokers and hard boiled eggs are the best I've done! Peel them, cold smoke them with a fruit wood and enjoy. Definitely smoke before pickling. They also make the best deviled eggs you'll ever eat!

X2
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 09:40 PM

I heard they are a beeeatch to get lit.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 09:52 PM

Tough to roll too.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/20/19 10:03 PM

I don't think I've ever had real smoked eggs. Pretty sure the ones I've had had a little liquid smoke added to the pickle solution.

Keep this thread going and report back on how you liked them.
Posted By: GerryE

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/21/19 12:13 AM

I have smoked eggs by putting them in the smoker raw, heavy smoke at 225 for a couple hours. The smoke goes thru the shell and they taste great. Often thought about picking them after they were smoked but they never lasted long enough to try it.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/21/19 12:48 AM

I was never able to keep them lit....
Posted By: coy1

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/21/19 01:27 AM

hard boil then smoke with shell on then pickle they are awesome
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/21/19 01:29 AM

Strike2x you gotta dry them out then stick them in the pipe
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/21/19 01:39 AM

I could never smoke and pickle eggs either way they never lasted long enough, my recipe for smoked eggs is in the book project smoke by Steven Raaichlen.
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/22/19 11:48 AM

Nice set up Mac. Following, as they sound good.
Posted By: Page

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/22/19 01:37 PM

After getting them hard boiled how long are your guys smoking them?
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/22/19 01:55 PM

I can see smoked eggs. I can see pickled eggs . But both ?.

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/22/19 02:05 PM

I just watched the Steven Raaichlen video and he only smoked eggs 1/2 hour didn't say at what temp. So I'm just going to try couple dozen run cold smoke see how they look after 1/2 hour or so.. Eggs are cheap here I can get them for $1.00 dozen. So if I screw a few up experimenting it's not so a big deal. Mostly have my time in them.
I best go pidder padder get after it..

Mac
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/22/19 02:27 PM

get on it mac

cold smoke is what I've done - i like to take a few charcoals from the grill when im done, drop them in the smoker, and just add some wood chips and twigs to get (and keep) the smoke rolling.
it doesnt even register tempurature on the thermometer so its under 150 degrees F.

I usually shoot for about an hour of smoke

to much heat and those eggs will turn into rubber balls
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/22/19 02:32 PM

I smoked a dozen last night with no intent on pickling them.Had them in the smoker at around 250 for 1 hr. Probably didn't need them in that long,but it didn't hurt anything.They came out with a unique taste,very good.Thanks for passing this along.

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/23/19 01:39 AM

Well I went and done it. Got me 4 dozen eggs and boil 3 dozen. Also made a dozen baked eggs. Bake eggs is something my fishing buddy showed me several years ago. Lot of piddling to make but are good eatin. You tap a hole in end of the egg pour insides out. I showed my buddy how we blew the insides out with straw when we were kids he never seen that. I even used a can of the compressed air that you blow out computer keyboard with. Just have to be careful not launch egg. I seen once one them cooking shows where they had a small mixer like a dremel tool mix yokes and whites right in the shell..
Anyway you get the insides of the eggs out mix them up good with your favorite spice. These I did with just black pepper, Lawery Salt, and little poutry season made by a local company. Hard part is getting the scrabbled eggs back in the shell. I know I used a marinating syringe years back. But not knowing where it is if I still have it I used a small funnel..Then with them back in card board holder, bake in the oven at 250 for about 30 minutes or until hard..
This was my messing around for the afternoon.

First get the 3 doz eggsboiling..
[Linked Image]

Tap open and blow insides out of 1 doz eggs scrable and pour back in...
[Linked Image]

Baked in oven this is how they look when come out.
[Linked Image]

Not pretty when ya get them peeled but definitely interesting looking. I'm not a food snob that worries about how something looks, more about taste..
[Linked Image]

Pop them all in Smoker go do some yard work for couple hours...smoker ran at about 125
[Linked Image]

Here is how the baked ones looked after came out of the smoker..
[Linked Image]

Baked egg and regular hard boiled after came out of smoker
[Linked Image]

Two dozen of the plain smoked eggs soaking in pickling bath. Got couple of the baked one in there too.. I choose to let them soak for at least couple days before I try them. Probably wait until I come home monday from the weekend at camper.
[Linked Image]

I will say I ate one egg right out of the smoker. was actually a mistake because I had so much smoke in my face right then. Couldn't really tell how it tasted? Idid eat one of the baked one little later and a plain boiled egg smoked. They are both yummy by my standards..

Mac
Posted By: Malukchuk

Re: Smoking Pickled Eggs? - 05/23/19 05:13 PM

looks good mac I am gonna try that out. Thanks.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums