Home

Keeping Night crawlers

Posted By: shortliner16

Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 06:37 PM

Alright, so I want to keep some crawlers in my basement for fishing. I have plenty in my yard and don't need to spend $3 a dozen. Thinking an old cooler or tote but wondering how. Does a guy need to add food for them other than the organic stuff in dirt? I don't need them reproducing just want to keep them alive for a couple months.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 06:46 PM

Better find a cooler spot than the basement. Buy some commercial nightcrawler bedding, follow the directions, and keep them in the bait fridge.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 06:49 PM

As invertebrates they can crawl up the sides of a cooler and ooze out thru the lid joint, and you will have a basement full of worms. One way to keep them in is to hang a 40 watt bulb over the bed so they stay down.
Soak peat moss till it won't take any more water, but don't let it get too soggy, worms breath thru their skin, and use that for bedding. When they've got that about gone, replace with more and/or top feed cheap oatmeal, coffee grounds, tea bag powder etc, and NEVER use city tap water, the chemicals will kill them, catch rain water and use that.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 07:26 PM

Get yourself some good crawler bedding, mix in coffee grounds and small pieces of banana peels, keep it moist and in a fridge. They will keep a long, long time that way. JM2¢ it works for me.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 07:41 PM

Find a old med shipping Styrofoam container smaller and well made!
Posted By: tjm

Re: Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 07:43 PM

I used Buss bedding about 10" deep and kept the cellar floor about <60F Kept crawlers year round for about three years. Add/change bedding to keep feeding them, watch for mold and keep any dead worms picked out. As ADC said follow package directions. Most of what people say is good for worms will cause problems later, including some things posted above.
If you keep rabbits, the waste under the hutches is good worm farm dirt/feed.

If you are serious about keeping worms and don't want failure/frustration, do your own research, There are books on it.
Stacks of cardboard can be effective if you do it right.
Posted By: corky

Re: Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 08:56 PM

Wet down some newspaper and keep the container in the refrigerator. They will eat cornmeal if you keep them a real long time. Check frequently and pick out dead ones immediately or you will quickly have a smelly mess.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Keeping Night crawlers - 05/20/19 09:25 PM

An old fridge set at about 42 degrees, a couple styrofoam coolers with tight fitting lids and some commercial worm bedding will accomplish what you want. Check them at least once a week and remove any sick/dead worms. If they start to die off, buy new bedding and transfer to a clean styrofoam cooler. If you need a fridge, I have an extra one in my garage. wink
© 2024 Trapperman Forums