Home

Garden Advice

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Garden Advice - 05/21/19 12:15 AM

Last year I remember someone recommending pulling smaller ears off of sweet corn for better health and ear production.

Would pulling some of these smaller squash off help?

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 12:40 AM

yield boost / stop rot will help a lot

https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Ag-Stop-Blossom-End-Tomatoes/dp/B00ACPDIL6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2CO5BEOZJS3KI&keywords=stop+rot+for+tomatoes&qid=1558398860&s=gateway&sprefix=stop+rot%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-4

lots of brands but it generally goes by blossom end rot treatment , stop rot , or yield boost it is a calcium supplement.

any garden store should have it.

it works well on tomatoes but it works wonders on squash and cucumbers spray every other week and be ready to pick very regular fruit of the cucumber and zucchini squash families will jump in size inches a day so you can't take breaks in picking check every day to every other day and try and pick at that nice 8-10 inch tender range for zucchini.

calcium is the building block of cell walls in plants , but it gets locked in the soil easily , the supplement is applied with a sprayer to the leaves,
Posted By: Choo

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 01:25 AM

While blossom end rot can be caused by calcium magnesium deficiency most of the time it's a water imbalance( to much to little). Before you waste money on a product you don't know if you need get a soil sample and see what you have to begin with. What some people think is blossom end rot in young squash is actually fruit that failed to be fertilized, I see it earlier in the season.

As far as pinching off smaller fruit I wouldn't, those plant look like they are doing well. Only time I pinch bloom off is if plants have bloom at transplant.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by Choo
While blossom end rot can be caused by calcium magnesium deficiency most of the time it's a water imbalance( to much to little). Before you waste money on a product you don't know if you need get a soil sample and see what you have to begin with. What some people think is blossom end rot in young squash is actually fruit that failed to be fertilized, I see it earlier in the season.

As far as pinching off smaller fruit I wouldn't, those plant look like they are doing well. Only time I pinch bloom off is if plants have bloom at transplant.

If you're gonna pinch one off, don't do it in the garden!!!
If that's zuchinni, you can't hurt a zuchinni noway nohow.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Originally Posted by Choo

If you're gonna pinch one off, don't do it in the garden!!!
If that's zuchinni, you can't hurt a zuchinni noway nohow.

^^^this
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 03:03 PM

Some of those smaller crooknecks batter fried (blossom and all) are mighty fine eating.
Posted By: pcr2

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 03:29 PM

or pickled

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Some of those smaller crooknecks batter fried (blossom and all) are mighty fine eating.

Just regular batter?
Originally Posted by pcr2
or pickled

Recipe?

Gonna have a bunch of them might as well try different ways to enjoy them.
Posted By: charles

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 06:46 PM

Apply an inch of water per week, all at once rather than applied daily. Makes stronger roots, which is how the calcium is taken up. Some people put down Epsom salt, but that is magnesium rather than calcium.
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 06:56 PM

We throw a tums in the planting hole for tomatoes and peppers, no more end rot here.

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 07:09 PM

No end rot yet but I appreciate the info.

They get water when it rains
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by bacatrapper
We throw a tums in the planting hole for tomatoes and peppers, no more end rot here.

Blackboard chalk is the same thing, minus the sugar, and a lot cheaper. Chalk can be used in place of Tums if you can stand the taste
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 07:47 PM

a seasons Yeild boost is 8 dollars , hardly a garden supplement that can produce the kind of results I see when using it every other week.

too much and too little water lock the calcium up in the soil even if you tested.

I am not growing in a green house ,it wil rain 3-4 days then nothing , yes I can water but can hardly keep enough on when it is bright sun and 90 degrees , I do run a soaker hose around the squash so that I can better water without causing fungus issues.

even then just being outside and our weather can do that.

Re: Garden Advice - 05/21/19 10:31 PM

Cucumbers are coming along nicely. I was informed today that I should put some angled wire so they will climb.

Anybody else done this?

Posted By: amspoker

Re: Garden Advice - 05/22/19 12:10 AM

I grow the Bush cucumbers. They suit my needs.

As far as all the blossom end rot concerns go, I found that hilling and mulching my plants resolved that problem.
Posted By: Silage

Re: Garden Advice - 05/22/19 12:18 AM

I save my egg shells for awhile and freeze them. Then I crush them up and add them when I plant my tomatoes and peppers. Then throughout the summer I crush them and sprinkle on the top of the soil around plants. This has helped me with blossom end rot. Also throughout the winter I scatter egg shells throughout the entire garden.
Slow release, free, and organic. Works for me. But also watering does play a part in blossom end rot. To much, to little, and don't let especially tomatoes go to bed with wet fruit and leaves. I know you can't control rain but water if needed early in the day.
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Garden Advice - 05/22/19 12:36 AM

I didn't even plant yet. I hope tomorrow.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Garden Advice - 05/22/19 03:12 AM

I add barn lime to raised beds in the fall, so where tomatoes go it will be good in the spring
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Garden Advice - 05/22/19 12:58 PM

Live stock pannels make the perfect trellis for cucumbers
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Garden Advice - 05/22/19 01:44 PM

Squash blossoms battered and fried are tough to beat! Regular batter, pancake batter, beer batter, even just an egg wash and then some panko will do the trick.

I like to keep cucs off the ground. Some heavy cattle panels propped up with heavy stakes work well! Or you could use kages. I think I have a pic of the cattle panel from last year... [Linked Image]

Re: Garden Advice - 05/22/19 03:52 PM

I like that set up.

I'm doing the cage thing around the tomatoes.

Re: Garden Advice - 05/23/19 10:51 PM

Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Garden Advice - 05/24/19 12:42 AM

Looks Good
Posted By: snowy

Re: Garden Advice - 05/24/19 02:22 AM

Wow! Nice garden. I just planted my cucumbers, squash and pumpkins today. Wife starts them I the house late winter. All the rest is in and the beets are up and bean are just popping through and I haven't seen a carrot yet.

Re: Garden Advice - 05/24/19 03:35 AM

I thought the Brussels Sprouts would be hit first by rabbits but it was deer that got a cantaloupe plant last night. I'm hoping for lost of memory.

Re: Garden Advice - 05/31/19 12:02 AM

It's me again. lol

Heard a number of varying opinions On spraying sweet corn.

I haven't sprayed anything yet, am I too late?

Re: Garden Advice - 05/31/19 12:07 AM

Also I fear I have made a mistake on the cantaloupes. Only planted one row. No sign of one yet. Anything I can do to help them?

Planted two rows of cucumbers the same time.

Posted By: Ranger109

Re: Garden Advice - 05/31/19 04:27 PM

I don't spray my corn until it starts putting on kernels, thats when the worms start getting into it. Looks like you are still a couple of weeks away. I only planted 6 hills of cantaloupe and there are a few the size of marbles to ping pong balls, and we just pickled 8qts of cucumbers.

Re: Garden Advice - 06/05/19 04:36 PM

On 5/30 I complained about the lack of cantaloupe action.

Guess I should have complained about my vision.

Posted By: tbn

Re: Garden Advice - 06/05/19 07:49 PM

I got away from tomato cages years ago. I now plant in rows between 2 cattle panels. You can plant more in less space. I do peppers the same.Space the rows 6 or 8 feet apart and can run the tiller right down the rows.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums