Home

Bobcat Urine

Posted By: ambush32

Bobcat Urine - 05/22/19 10:01 PM

In general is the bobcat urine that is on market real urine or synthetic?
The bobcat urine I have I’m guessing it’s not.

Who sells the real stuff?

Thanks
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/22/19 10:13 PM

You might try swifty on here. Your not going to get any from a dealer. It is ALL artificial and complete junk. If you can find some real coyote or fox pee cats investigate it just fine. Lots better than the artificial cat pee. Check cat bladders. Unlike coyotes they dont pee while in a trap.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/22/19 10:27 PM

If you think all thousands of gallons of cat pee sold every year are real where are all the hundreds of caged bobcats?
Posted By: adam m

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/22/19 11:00 PM

X2 Danny. There's very few who sell pure bobcat, fox or coyote urine. I try to harvest all bladders from my catches.
I know Andy has some critters caged to collect the urine.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/22/19 11:22 PM

A few years ago I lived 60 miles from 200 cats and a few lyxn to boot and some coyotes.
Glad I stocked up
They pelted out .

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/22/19 11:22 PM

You can find good fox and coyote urine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:38 AM

Danny,

We'll not be selling urine direct to trappers anymore here in a couple weeks, BUT you are not accurate on bobcat urine not being authentic.
A collector in MT is where we (and several others) get our urine. Sadly, he went out of biz after many stellar years last season.

Mark

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 02:49 AM

no way he produced even 25% of all that was sold. How many thousand gallons of the artificial cat pee sold by those NJ jews was and is sold as natural not artificial????????????????????????? Everybody selling cat pee claimed to get it from that same fur farm. Those cats must pee ten gallons a day apiece.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 03:17 AM

might all be a blend like Canada whiskey. Be interesting to get hold that NJ shipping list. If a cat farmer was buying tanker loads of synthetic and blending it with real stuff, would the dealers notice?
Posted By: tjm

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 03:20 AM

Not just trappers buying urine either untold amounts are sold to people wanting to scare mice or fool deer.
Posted By: Mercer Lawing

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 03:52 AM

The Richwines are some fine people and did in fact produce most of the bobcat urine sold in the trapping industry up until last year.

Several thousand gallons. Had many fascinating conversations with them about their business. The fur farming and the urine production/sales.

The bobcats they raised where simply amazing. Unlike anything I have ever seen. Kathy spent years manipulating the genetics with her breeding program.

I'm not sure where the bobcat urine will come from in the future. Lots of small time producers around but most of that is spoken for.

The thought that supply houses are selling artificial seems unreasonable as it is so expensive and doesn't smell much like the real thing.

I still have 8 gallons of "the good stuff"

Cory and Kathy Richwine:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: mole

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 08:55 AM

Remember when you could by IN HEAT Urine by the tanker truck load .

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 09:30 AM

Walmart must sell a million gallons of doe in heat urine in little glass bottles. seen they also have fox pee and coon pee. bowhunters and fisherman will buy anything too

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 11:49 AM

Good input Mercer. We didn't... but a couple of the biggest dealers in our industry sold Cory's urine to other dealers as best they could based on availability. For those asking about synthetics, as one who has formulated for the deer industry also since 1984, synthetics are MUCH too expensive. No way to produce that for trappers at a trapper's price.

If it's not authentic bobcat, chances are it's feral.

We produced coyote urine for 7 years a few years back and it's a day after day after day grind. Lotta work. Pinch of money. Mainly did it so what we sold to our customers came from a trusted source.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:04 PM

I can pee over the moon if I drink a case of beer

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:19 PM

Some here are simply trying to answer the OP's question...
Amongst those who have opinions based on assumptions that are less than accurate laugh
Posted By: tbn

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:26 PM

What part of lie,label and sell is an assumption?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Walmart must sell a million gallons of doe in heat urine in little glass bottles. seen they also have fox pee and coon pee. bowhunters and fisherman will buy anything too

I can't speak to cat or coyote pee with any authority but I can guarantee you there are good quality deer lures on the market that work. One of the best I've ever used was a synthetic I mixed with my own urine. A fellow down in Ohio was marketing the product, and idea, and I thought it sounded just crazy enough that there might be something to it. He was right, it works.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:34 PM

Why is the price of cat urine about the same as everything else but yet there are so many less and takes longer to accumulate?

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by tbn
What part of lie,label and sell is an assumption?

The part that infers that all bobcat urine on the market is fake juice.
Some in the trade sell the real deal.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:42 PM

Maybe so. And if it was 100 percent,I would buy it. Even then I would still be leary.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/23/19 12:55 PM

Good info thanks

If there is real stuff out there how does one know if he is getting actual bobcat urine?
Let’s say I’m buying bobcat urine and the dealer/maker states that it’s a man made urine
that gives me the choice to buy it or walk away...

What about collecting some from a domestic cat? Would this be better then the fake stuff?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/24/19 02:53 AM

The Montana dealer I buy from has good cat urine
Posted By: John Graham

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/24/19 11:27 AM

I personally made several trips to Western Montana to pick up my yearly supply of bobcat urine at Richwines. I walked through their facility, asked questions, marveled at how clean and well run it all was. And, I was impressed by how much WORK was involved. I personally watched Corey pour urine from one vat into a bigger pourer, and into clean gallon jugs. I smelled, it, I saw the unreal numbers 'cats, and watched them handle some. I KNOW it was and is the real deal. I usually brought home 100 gallons or more. The only thing that I ever did to any I USED and or sold was that I add about 15-20 percent glycerine to it, to not only keep it from freezing, but to make it last longer at a set. ALL that I've sold has had that done to it. No watering down to stretch it. No synthetic.

After we moved to Wyoming, We met them somewhere, when they made their yearly trips east to deliver urine. I usually placed my order months in advance, and I always told Corey that I'd take more if he had it. He rarely did, since he had more orders to fill, and is a fair, honest guy.

When they announced that they were getting out of the business, I placed a large order, ASAP. I figured that it might be the last chance to get quality bobcat urine, in any large amounts, ever again. I'm still sitting good for another year or two, but after that, I will simply discontinue selling it, rather than try to find a large supplier. I know of another larger bobcat operation, but they flat refuse to collect urine.

As for collecting bladder urine and using it, yes, it is great stuff, obviously. But, just a few days ago, I poured some bladder urine I'd collected while glanding 'cats this winter. It had been there for months, and I noticed it was too the same dark amber color of the urine I get from Corey Richwine. It wasn't the nice yellow or amber color you see as you are collecting it. I walked over and opened a gallon jug of 'cat urine that I'd bought earlier, and I'd defy ANYONE to tell me which one was collected vs bladder. I smell lots of urine and I know a little about it.

And, that, my friends is how I see it. I don't comment on stuff much, but this is something that I care about, and KNOW about. It isn't second hand or repeated. The yearly trips to pick up a supply of quality product was an event we looked forward to. I just wish I'd have taken more pictures.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/24/19 11:40 AM

Mr Graham thank you for taking the time to share that information with us.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/24/19 11:56 AM

Mr Grahm, what percentage do you think was sold by that fur farm compared to how many gallons get sold nation wide? Who else was collecting, on a large scale?

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/24/19 12:34 PM

Good post John. I knew you got some of Cory's juice as we both know who he was selling to because he would tell us.

I placed a large order in the final year of the Richwine's operation as well (as bobcat urine keeps well) and got all I ordered but with us no longer selling retail as of June 1st, I shipped more than 100 gallons to F&T recently. I know they also bought from Cory so they knew the value of what I was offering them.

Who can tell where everyone gets their urine as all those of us who have been in the biz for any amount of time can do is tend to our own. The point some of us are making on this forum that statements that begin with "always" or "never" or "all" are usually not as accurate as general statements. To ask how much one supplier produced for the trade would be tricky to figure out unless you knew how much every dealer sold and we don't tell each other these things any more than all the pizzerias tell each other how many pizzas they sell. Do some use cheap tomato sauce? Maybe? Is some pizza better than others? Yep. You be the judge. Trappers are smart enough to figure out good pizza and how good urine is would be my guess. But then again, I'm an optimist.

As a rule- I've long known that some have no concept of how successful trapping businesses can be if they are built on reputable ground and treat trappers fair and square. Even in slow fur price eras, businesses can thrive. It's the American way. Trappers support supplier who treat them well and have consistent products and pricing.

For those businesses that undercut, liable, cheat, etc.... their tenure will be short and transparent over time.

Good input Mr. Graham. See you at the NTA in MO brother.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/24/19 10:15 PM

Danny, i'd hate to speculate what is getting sold on the national level. I've personally walked in on a now defunct trapping supply business making fox urine, and I've also been told by a fairly large supply dealer, years ago, that they water their stuff down by 50%. I talk to very few other dealers anymore. i just keep to myself for the most part.

Mark, I haven't been to an NTA or FTA convention in years! I guess I haven't run into you since Brownwood, Texas a few years ago. I still regret not buying that extra BBQ brisket they had for sell!

I rented a whole fairgrounds for my 'Coyote Days' this August, for less than I'd pay for a decent sized booth at the NTA. I'm putting my time and effort in to that. Coyotes keep me busy right here at home, and I like not having to travel.

Maybe see you down the road somewhere though! John

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/24/19 10:26 PM

Good luck, glad things are going good!

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/25/19 11:24 AM

John,

You're correct it was Brownsville. That was a fun time for sure. You're good people with a rock solid business and whatever you set your mind to gets done right! Period. Expertise + the right attitude + invocation is in your blood grin

I'm also am trapping coyotes this time of year and I just got back from a ranch NW of Houston yesterday. When I'm on the road I log into TMan as when I'm home it's not on the radar. Dang HOT this time of year to be chasing doggies but that's when God made deer have fawns and these exotics drop all year long, so if I was a coyote I'd live on a few of these places myself! Between the heat, rain & humidity, bugs, ants, dung beetles & vultures and such... it makes for a REAL challenge here. 94 yesterday with 90% humidity. Whew. I don't sweat much but I need to start.

We also aren't doing many shows and as of this year - only the NTA. This old trapper is headed off to schooling end of August for 4 years up in Dallas and time won't allow. But we're all making life choices and heck we've been at the trapping biz game like you for a long time. 34 years goes by quick for sure. For sure for sure.

We're content to make our lures/baits, conduct our Academy and appreciate a life blessed with 11 grandkidddos (that were trying to see more often in MI, TN, and here in TX).

I keep current on your articles in TP (great stuff brother) and wish you a fine time at your trapper's gathering. You're a great writer and hold the reader's attention based on writing ability and your skill sets. You're a pro at merging the two and putting it on paper for all of us. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks John.
Safe travels.
Blessings
Mark

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/25/19 02:58 PM

I couldn't live down south, the heat would kill me
Posted By: Coyote Clayton

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/25/19 03:40 PM

I have just the answer. 25 rubber coated pee cages just for bobcat urine collection. Check them out on the Trap Shed. The guy I bought the cages from used to sell to O' Gorman. I collected for several years. I sold my coyote urine wholesale to national suppliers. The cat urine never made it out of Kansas. Well fed cats (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) a lot.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 02:47 PM

Looks like Mr Graham would be a good choice...thanks
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 03:25 PM

I have been getting cat urine for many years from Corey as well. Good product every gallon I purchased. He will be missed as will his urine. He was a great man to deal with as was his wife. About as fair as can be expected in my experience. That urine was all real but I have had been around synthetic and authentic over the years. Those in the know can usually tell the difference or may be very suspect due some indicators, however others are at the mercy of what they buy.

I think all that dealt with him got what they could handle $$ wise when he advised us he was leaving the business. Once I get down to my own personal needs inventory we wont be selling any more unless we find another reputable producer.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 03:30 PM

well now everybody knows where the limited supply is. that you might want to stock up.

good news is that good red fox or coyote pee either one is also very effective for cats. I am more likely to use my bobcat bladder pee on coyotes. get one that seems a bit nervous often some cat pee is all that is needed to catch it.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by John Graham
Danny, i'd hate to speculate what is getting sold on the national level. I've personally walked in on a now defunct trapping supply business making fox urine, and I've also been told by a fairly large supply dealer, years ago, that they water their stuff down by 50%. I talk to very few other dealers anymore. i just keep to myself for the most part.

Mark, I haven't been to an NTA or FTA convention in years! I guess I haven't run into you since Brownwood, Texas a few years ago. I still regret not buying that extra BBQ brisket they had for sell!

I rented a whole fairgrounds for my 'Coyote Days' this August, for less than I'd pay for a decent sized booth at the NTA. I'm putting my time and effort in to that. Coyotes keep me busy right here at home, and I like not having to travel.

Maybe see you down the road somewhere though! John

John,
Can you tell us a little more about your Coyote Days? Dates, location, demos, etc. Is there an ad someplace for it. I looked on your website and didn’t come across it.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 05:40 PM

Coyote Days will be August 9-10 at the Fairgrounds in Lusk Wyoming.

Saturday is 10 hours of demo's by the best in the business.

Calling, trapping, fur handling, grading, biology.

Topped off by a fur fashion show, steak dinner and auction.

Here's a link to last years promo.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...-coyote-bobcat-men-and-women#Post6311834
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 08:56 PM

[quote=Monster Toms]Coyote Days will be August 9-10 at the Fairgrounds in Lusk Wyoming.

Saturday is 10 hours of demo's by the best in the business.

Calling, trapping, fur handling, grading, biology.

Topped off by a fur fashion show, steak dinner and auction.

Here's a link to last years promo.

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...-coyote-bobcat-men-and-women#Post6311834

Last year in the comments, it was indicated this get together was the Wyoming State Convention. I take it this year, it is separate than the state convention held in Riverton Wy. On August 23-24?
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 09:22 PM

From the Wyoming Trapper's Association website:

Wyoming State Trappers Assoc. 2019 RENDEZVOUS August 23rd & 24th in Riverton, WY

So, John's Coyote Days IS a different event than the WY state convention.
Posted By: Monster Toms

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 09:23 PM

Correct!

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/26/19 10:24 PM

Yes, 'Coyote Days' will be advertised more soon!
I have an ad that will be coming out in Trappers Post Magazine, and we'll have more details on Facebook and our website soon.

Word of mouth is still the best advertising, and I've had so much response to this that we are honestly expecting a huge turnout.

Everything is coming together, and it will be a good place to be for anyone interested in coyote and 'cat trapping, I promise!

I've already hijacked the thread enough, but wanted to comment on the original topic at hand: Yes, Danny is 100% right, good urine of ANY type will catch 'cats, and vice-versa.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/27/19 12:25 PM

Thanks John for the input..

One use for the good cat urine was to mix it up a bit for coyotes here on public ground..
Chased a coyote last season that ignored my sets and yes I put them under his nose
but he never would work my sets..He was easy to track as he had a chunk of his rear pad
missing..

I’m sure an experienced trapper could snag coyotes like this all day long, but that ain’t me..

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/28/19 11:15 AM

As I run out of the real deal bobcat urine in the future, I'll do more of...
Cut some bobcat into red fox or coyote urine as a blended changeup P.

Re: Bobcat Urine - 05/28/19 12:44 PM

I have mixed urine from different species before and it worked just fine. I have no doubt that different species mark each others scent posts.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums