Home

Havahart live trap fix question

Posted By: Catch22

Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:23 PM

I picked up a couple of coon size Havahart traps at a garage sale a long time ago. They seen some use and now the door won't stay shut and Mr coon easily can get out. Has anyone redid the doors on these some how, I hate to scrap'em.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:36 PM

My go to, rather give to trap when someone wants to borrow one.
Big coon and groundhogs power out of em for me.

Try flipping that bar 360 degrees. Or bend it so it grabs the tabs.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:38 PM

I'd just replace the door entirely or scrap em.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:42 PM

I'd say more- but I won't...........just scrap them

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
My go to, rather give to trap when someone wants to borrow one.
Big coon and groundhogs power out of em for me.

Try flipping that bar 360 degrees. Or bend it so it grabs the tabs.

Over the years I tried bending, twisting and a failed effort of different springs. The way they are now is a no go. I thought maybe someone came up with a conversion type door or something that will keep me from spending a lot of money lol.

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:49 PM

It's early in the thread but scrap'em seems popular lol. Any suggestions on new traps (not Havahart) that don't make my wallet say wth. grin

That Comstock multi purpose looks great, but holy cow, a bit pricey.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:54 PM

Put a simple block that the door will pass by easily then jam to hold it closed. A simple rod pointing towards the door would work well!

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Put a simple block that the door will pass by easily then jam to hold it closed. A simple rod pointing towards the door would work well!

I was hoping you'd chime in Jerry cause I know you know cage traps. I don't quite get what ya mean though. A lot of times I don't understand written stuff. I'm not slow, I'm special lol.

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 03:12 PM

If you bend the vertical bars inward, making them longer, they might then grab the tabs.
Bring it to me I'll fix it lol.

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 03:14 PM

Simple object the tips away as the door hits it then block the door from opening.
[Linked Image]

A spring latch that clicks past the frame but the square edge catches the frame once past it!
[Linked Image]

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 03:17 PM

Havaharts had a similar block on the top that blocked the wire that held the door closed that kept it from opening once it fired. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 05:27 PM

Know what you mean Catch 22 bought one for just about nothing and that's what its worth

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 05:37 PM

Jerry, mine's not equipped with anything like that, just what's in the pic, which is the bar and two tabs. Maybe it's a real old style idk. And Jeff, your right lol...

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22
Jerry, mine's not equipped with anything like that, just what's in the pic, which is the bar and two tabs. Maybe it's a real old style idk. And Jeff, your right lol...

Make one then is what I was thinking just configure one, if you block the wire that should block the door maybe that latch is just missing?

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Catch22

Make one then is what I was thinking just configure one, if you block the wire that should block the door maybe that latch is just missing?

Oh gotcha. Thanks, I'll go out and see what I can come up with. In the mean time can you bring me a few of yours grin

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 06:01 PM

Just send me that one and I will send you back a nice thank you card! wink

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 06:03 PM

Just send me that one and I will send you back a nice thank you card! wink

laugh
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 08:07 PM

Try putting a brick on both doors after the trap is set. The extra weight helps slam the doors closed so that they are locked and the animal can't power out.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 09:05 PM

You are missing the spring for the door. Since the picture doesn't show the top of the trap make sure the lock is in place.

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 09:10 PM

Always nice to have a few beater cages around to use in high risk places!

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Animals Only
You are missing the spring for the door. Since the picture doesn't show the top of the trap make sure the lock is in place.

I have 2 others that are identical, is it possible that these were pre-spring and lock?
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/23/19 09:51 PM

Take and bend the tabs out so when the door closes the rods behind the tabs . Thats how mine's set up .
Posted By: DanN

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 12:50 AM

That trap pictured is not a Havahart , looks like a Little giant or a chinese havahart knock off. The newer pro model Havaharts with the sheet metal door have gussets on the door to reinforce them , the older pro models had a wire mesh door and were a very good trap . Cant see all the trap in the pic , but it looks like parts are missing from the door.

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 12:54 AM

I took the rod off and wound the springs tighter and tweaked it again. Hopefully she'll last a spell, if not I'll make a cone or something out of it. Thanks everyone for your help!

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 12:59 AM

9 gauge wire on top of the cage with a small bend into the wire where the lock bar can get under the tip and the keep it from coming back!

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 01:26 PM

After repairing the trap yesterday I felt confident to set it, if I didn't I wouldn't have. There's nothing worse than worrying about a trap that may or may not work. Anywho, I set it and it did it's job. Thanks again for all your help guys.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 01:47 PM

Good Deal

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 02:12 PM

From the first pic I thought it just like mine, todays pic shows it is not. They made more than a couple versions. This happens a lot here, comparing "names" of traps.

Thanks to the discussion I think I can improve mine above rabbit trap status.

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 02:23 PM

I'm gonna look for some stronger springs that will fit. It made a huge difference when I wound them tighter, it made the bar to not want to leave the tabs.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Havahart live trap fix question - 05/24/19 05:26 PM

I'd put some more cage clips or hog rings on that back panel. The ones there scare me as ive lost a few animals to those.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums