Home

How big is this bear?

Posted By: Hutchy

How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 09:35 AM

Doesn't matter much as it will be in the freezer by Monday if all goes well...fingers crossed!

What you think? For reference the barrel is about 16" diameter I believe. It is a gear lube barrel, so slightly different size that a standard one [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 09:38 AM

I would love to foot snare this one, but I spotted a mother and two Cubs less than 800m from the bait, and I am not interested in those shenanigans at all. The mother and Cubs havent been into the bait yet which is strange. Also, this bear is not interested in the beaver in the bag at all.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 09:43 AM

200lb?

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 09:49 AM

Could be. The barrel is 14" x 27" for reference.

Head looked smallish, so I figured it could be north of 200, but I am not sure
Posted By: keets

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 10:30 AM

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by keets

212. Gotta have at lease a pound of blackflies on him at this point...
Posted By: kingrat

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 01:15 PM

That's a big boar, not much air between the belly and the ground hes well north of 300.
Posted By: Trapper Dan2

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 01:19 PM

I shot one a few years ago about that size.
I say about 275 lbs.

Dan

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 01:23 PM

Oooh...now I am all excited. I am starting to learn how to age them from pics. Shot one at a nuisance job a few years back that pushed 300. Looked similar to this one. Head seems real small to be under 200 I figured, but the body doesnt look quite big enough to be much over 300. Thats all I got from the pics. Belly does look big though.

Anyone think its strange he hasn't touched the beaver?? Its fresh and was frozen, not rotten at all. I have ten more in the freezer for more bait, but if they don't like meat in the spring I wont bother next year.

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 01:24 PM

Oh, and the beaver is in the feed bag, and the beaver was about forty lb. Maybe some more reference.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 01:49 PM

298.9999#'s
Posted By: Posco

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
298.9999#'s

Live weight or dressed? Live weight and I think you're pretty close. I'm going with 280.
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 02:01 PM

By the look of his ears and body he is a good one.

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
298.9999#'s

This cannot possibly be accurate unless you know how many blackflies are in an ounce..

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 02:06 PM

If this wind doesn't change direction I will be rebaiting tonight instead of hunting...

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 02:16 PM

A bear thread isn't complete without input from Osky and Bernie!
Posted By: waggler

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 02:45 PM

Not a lot of air space between his belly and the ground. A shooter for sure.
Posted By: Osky

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 03:05 PM

Maybe 256 liv weight. Down angle on the camera makes the belly look a bit lower than it is, and the full spring coat makes it look heavier.
Purely opinion, good eater no matter what.

Osky
Posted By: Catch22

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Maybe 256 liv weight. Down angle on the camera makes the belly look a bit lower than it is, and the full spring coat makes it look heavier.

Osky

I'm gonna have to disagree with Osky, that bear will go 257lbs. grin
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 03:27 PM

I guess right at the 300 mark a good boar and that explains why sow and cubs are staying clear
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 03:36 PM

Judging a bear's weight by a photo is near impossible, but fun to try nonetheless, so I gotta give it a try too. I think that bruin will dress out about a half dozen pounds over three.
Posted By: Cattrax

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
but if they don't like meat in the spring I wont bother next year.

I never had a bait out where they didn't like the beaver meat, spring or fall.
Posted By: Boco

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 04:16 PM

Bears are all over the nuisance beaver piles in the bush.Gotta leave some out for the ravens to help call in bears from afar.
That looks like a good bear to take-not too big and not too small.

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 04:45 PM

Ya, a good bit for the freezer. I can't get over why he won't even touch the beaver. Sweet tooth maybe lol

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

Could be. I put the camera about as high as i can reach. Just trying to keep the bears from eating the camera. Out of line of sight.
Posted By: corky

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 05:28 PM

Posted By: billy

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/24/19 05:35 PM

its a nice bear,the top pic he has a large head and small ears.i would guess around 320 live weight,good luck.

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/25/19 10:03 AM

Grrr...I can stalk him at this bait, but for two days now the wind has been east. It is only a west wind (prevailing) spot

Phone has been going off all morning. He's camped on the bait again....

Makes a guy mad!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/25/19 10:16 AM

Wash your clothes,take a shower and go killl the thing wink

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/25/19 10:47 AM

Haha. No...I will remain filthy. grin

The site is set up perfect to land the boat 300 yards away, and an easy stalk to within 60 yards. But no other way in that is downwind with the wind in this direction.

Oh well, the season ends June 15. I don't think he is going anywhere
Posted By: kingrat

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/25/19 01:40 PM

I'd kill him asap, I cant count the times I've had big boars just disappear from a bait site once the urge to mate hits. Or at least become sporadic in the visits.
Posted By: MTHunter

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/25/19 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by kingrat
I'd kill him asap, I cant count the times I've had big boars just disappear from a bait site once the urge to mate hits. Or at least become sporadic in the visits.

Scale that barrel up to 55 and if he won’t fit, shoot him. I’ve killed two 5 1/2 foot bears at weighed 250 and this one looks bigger. Not much ground clearance and no spider legs. Shoot!!!
Posted By: Posco

Re: How big is this bear? - 05/26/19 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hutchy
Haha. No...I will remain filthy. grin

Wash you clothes and then smoke them. Smoke them as in a campfire and smoke them heavy. I always smoke my hunting clothes.

I had this bear on camera just once and as you can see, it was at night. He came in the second night of the season. The bear came in directly downwind of me as I sat there in my smoke saturated clothing. A very mature bear.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums