Home

Fishing with an arrow

Posted By: MnMan

Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 01:49 PM

Had some fun recently with my bow...pretty entertaining and provides me with bait if I need any next fall. Not seeing many yet so opportunities have been limited.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 01:57 PM

Good lord man!!! Those things are monsters. Gigantic fish like that weird me out. Something like that could grab a guy by his toes and drag him under! I've never been bowfishing before, are those giants still alive after you arrow them? And do they still fight hard they way big carp do?

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Good lord man!!! Those things are monsters. Gigantic fish like that weird me out. Something like that could grab a guy by his toes and drag him under! I've never been bowfishing before, are those giants still alive after you arrow them? And do they still fight hard they way big carp do?

They fight like crazy after they are arrowed. One of those towed the boat around for a while before I got it close enough to the boat to bring it aboard with my gaff. I did get one the other day that was knocked unconscious when I hit it in the head with my arrow but it came back to life in my livewell.
Posted By: Yote52

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:00 PM

[Linked Image]
Nothing beats fishing with the bait that bites!!
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:02 PM

Could you show us your bowfishing rig ?
Posted By: adam m

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:04 PM

Wow those are monsters for sure. Way to go
Posted By: Zim

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:21 PM

Holey smokes, it has been a long time since I have seen carp that big!
Nice job, had to be lots of fun.
Come to think of it … been a long time since I have seen a sky that blue or water that calm.

Zim
Posted By: 160user

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:24 PM

Nice Brainerd area walleyes!
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose

The trick is to Double Lung them with the first arrow. Then that second one won't be needed!

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:37 PM

I first started bowfishing back in the 60's as a poor kid. We didn't have loot for all the fancy stuff, so we improvised.... tried all manner of contraptions to hold our string.....Clorox jugs were the most popular. Old guys will know what I mean.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:38 PM

MN I get calls every summer from folks who are willing to pay very good money to chase big carp with flyrods. They would love getting after carp like those. Not my gig but maybe something you would be interesting in doing. I’d be min 550 a day plus tips, for a pair of fisherman.

Osky

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 03:49 PM

Osky, are these folks Brits?
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 04:11 PM

I bowfished for carp all the time as a kid in Pewaukee, WI. We'd go out on Pewaukee Lake when the carp were rolling and have the time of our lives. Pewaukee Lake had a huge strain of carp and we got some monsters. Wish I had pictures of the biggest one I ever got. I hit it with an arrow but had to pitchfork it in order to get it in the boat. It fit across the back transom of a 14 ft. boat, nose and tail both laying up on the sides.

Moosetrot
Posted By: grumpa

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 04:18 PM

Did you weigh those behemoths?

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Osky, are these folks Brits?

Not that have contacted me. I think the craze started there? People are really getting into that on the Mississippi River pools south of Minneapolis and I have seen them doing it between Minneapolis and St. Cloud on the river. Fella I know who guides lake Minnetonka says many folks are doing it there. From what I see of carp I see more big ones in lakes around here than in rivers.
I can imagine those bigger brutes would be a riot on a fly rod.
Osky

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 04:45 PM

Sorry to distract MNman, great job with your bow. That’s gotta be a hoot.

Osky
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 04:51 PM

Bet that was a blast!
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 05:07 PM

Nice shooting!!!

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by grumpa
Did you weigh those behemoths?

Yes, not nearly as heavy as they looked. One was 20# and the other was 24#. I got a true trophy last year at this time that was 40.5#. This is a picture of that one:
It was 39 1/2 inches long and had a 28 inch girth that carried a long way down it's body.

[Linked Image]

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Could you show us your bowfishing rig ?

My boat is the one I fish from. I just stand in the front and run my bow-mount troll motor and watch for them. If you mean my bow then it is an old Martin compound with a bottle reel and a solid fiberglass fish arrow. I don't typically shoot many of them but have a blast with the few that I do. I did not see any this morning.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 09:11 PM

Those are nice ones!!!

The WV state record for a common carp is, 39.3 inches and 47 pounds. And length record is 41 inches and 41.5 pounds. Now, that's caught on rod and reel.

My biggest one on rod and reel was 30 plus. Forget, using 10 or 12 pound test line? They are fun.

My brother and I like to gig them from the boat too, we've both got a couple up around 33 or 34 pounds, that's about as big as I've ever seen carp.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 05/31/19 09:37 PM

[Linked Image]

This is my sons last nights outing Carp and Buffalo. He goes out quite a bit.
Posted By: Jags

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/01/19 12:59 AM

Flooding this spring stranded a bunch of carp in the pond next to my girl friend's house. They were in the shallows spawning so I threw on the hip boots and grabbed the 22. Just wanted a few for bait so I only shot 4. I stood still waited for them to swim straight toward me so I could get them in the head. Had one good sized one and 3 smaller. That was fun. Could have gotten out of had if I had a place to get rid of them. Last year someone dumped a barrel of them in the road ditch where we walk her dog. Had to smell that for awhile. The mink sure liked though.
Posted By: Jags

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/01/19 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
[Linked Image]

This is my sons last nights outing Carp and Buffalo. He goes out quite a bit.

What do they do with them?
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/01/19 01:55 AM

I was at the lake last weekend and the carp were rolling big time. I'm assuming their spawning?

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/01/19 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Scout1
I was at the lake last weekend and the carp were rolling big time. I'm assuming their spawning?

If they are chasing each other around and the water is flying and they are making a huge commotion, then they are spawning. I have not yet seen that here this spring but soon, I'm sure. Then it gets wild.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/01/19 02:26 AM

Nice fish Doug.
You smoke em?
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/01/19 02:39 AM

Jags they will get dispersed in the Amish neighbor hood. They grind the fillets on them and make them into many different type of fish dishes.

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/01/19 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
Nice fish Doug.
You smoke em?

I smoked a couple of small ones a few years ago and found them edible but I prefer other fish such as whitefish or tullibee. I gave some to friends last year since they wanted to try some and they definitely do not want more this year. I am still looking for takers. I am freezing these whole and may wind up using them for bait or feeding birds and critters next winter.

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/05/19 11:58 PM

Went out of my place for about 30 minutes this afternoon and while I only saw two carp and got a shot at one, it turned out to be a pretty big one. Anyone want any?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/06/19 12:49 AM

I saw some giants cruising around the pier last weekend, they come up in the shallows to spawn. I need to get my bowfishing rig out and shoot some and freeze them and then chop them in chunks after they are frozen with an axe and then freeze the chunks in small freezer bags for bait next fall and winter.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/06/19 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by MnMan
Went out of my place for about 30 minutes this afternoon and while I only saw two carp and got a shot at one, it turned out to be a pretty big one. Anyone want any?

[Linked Image]

That one would have given Trap Stick Man quite a tussle. Way back, when I was a youngster I used to catch a lot of carp and give them to an old timer
by the name of Clyde Burwell. He had a handsome daughter named Ida Mae but that has nothing to do with carp. Clyde could smoke those guys
better than anyone I ever knew, they were great. Wish I would have taken time to learn his method.
I suppose between my catching and Clyde smoking we fed our tiny little town for most of the year.
Is it always sunny and calm like that in Minnysoota?

Zim
Posted By: trapperne

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/06/19 01:48 AM

There’s not much better on earth then pickled carp.

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/06/19 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Zim

Is it always sunny and calm like that in Minnysoota?

Zim

We have had a few nice days these past two weeks. Just cleared up this afternoon after a cloudy morning. These are the days when I can see better with my polarized lenses and this is why you see my photos on nice days.

Yes, I had a long battle on the hand line with this one. Having a sharp gaff is sure handy when it comes to getting a big one in the boat.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Fishing with an arrow - 06/06/19 03:22 AM

That is a nice big fish.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums