Home

NAFA Beaver

Posted By: BvrRetriever

NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 06:55 PM

Anybody know what prices beaver were getting at the NAFA auction?
Posted By: trapper les

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:01 PM

I had 2 beaver there, one ad $27 and one at $16. So.... $21.5 average.
Posted By: mud

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:07 PM

Glad my beaver go to FH...

that is all men.....
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:18 PM

Beaver go to tomorrow?

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:20 PM

I shipped 6 beaver to NAFA just to test the waters, and 87 to FHA. I think I generally do better at FHA on beaver and rats, and better at NAFA on long haired fur.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB
Beaver go to tomorrow?

no sir,,going now. not pretty.

preparing to bend over on 204 red fox in a few minutes. good times.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:21 PM

same here les
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:21 PM

Sold 2 LG - $11.50 each.
That's all I messed with this year - glad I didn't spend more time trapping them.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:24 PM

Mud, I think fox will average higher than you think. I expect $25 average for these norther heavy fox I have.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:25 PM

I hope... smile

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:26 PM

I dont think theyre gonna sell les.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Mud, I think fox will average higher than you think. I expect $25 average for these norther heavy fox I have.

I remember when fox prices were really bad and I averaged $35 for northern hvy. When I was still green and shipped them.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 07:46 PM

I see/hear the audio part of my live broadcast quit just as the riveting sale of ranch chinchilla started. I don't know what to do about that.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 08:04 PM

Lol, after getting $7 average two years in a row on my fox I started to let them pile up in the freezer. Once they start averaging $35 I’ll send them again. Prob have 300 to put up by then lol.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 08:18 PM

lol, i dont have that much freezer space and im moving outta state this month, so....
Posted By: PaRay

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 08:30 PM

Are Red Fox going to be auctioned off this afternoon?
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by PaRay
Are Red Fox going to be auctioned off this afternoon?

Yes. Red fox and all wild fox will be offered today. Right after they finish the ranch fox.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 09:14 PM

lol

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 10:02 PM

Top Lot $30 for hvy.
frown

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dirt

Top Lot $30 for hvy.
frown

easy dirt...I sold 9 out of 204,....
at least I was expecting it.....

Re: NAFA Beaver - 05/31/19 10:41 PM

The thing is I sold 4 out of 5 carry overs from last year for $21 apiece at the last auction, all of them selects. Now, my first two listed sold for 13 and 10 respectively . Not good. The rest didn't sell.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 12:22 AM

Any ‘rats sold yet? Averages?
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 12:36 AM

Eastern beaver avg. ten bucks, Western beaver average nine bucks 100% sale. That's 1st section !
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 01:23 AM

Well my fourteen dollar average at FHA looks better now than it did.
Posted By: blackhammer

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 02:05 AM

N
Originally Posted by kytrapper
. Averages ? Figures lie and liars figure. Hard to really know what exactly was offered Being happy with 14 dollar beaver averages shows how bad the fur market is. But it is the reality

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:37 AM

I shipped 6 beaver to NAFA just to test the waters, and 87 to FHA. I think I generally do better at FHA on beaver and rats, and better at NAFA on long haired fur.

Les, how’d NAFA compare to FHA? Did you have anything end up in the same grades at at each auction to compare apples to apples, so to speak?

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:42 AM

No, I cant make a good comparison at this point. I don't ship a large enough quantity to NAFA to compare.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:45 AM

I shipped to FHA and was happy with it. I think we’re starting to turn the corner on the beaver market.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 11:04 AM

You know who rocks
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by blackhammer
N
. Averages ? Figures lie and liars figure. Hard to really know what exactly was offered Being happy with 14 dollar beaver averages shows how bad the fur market is. But it is the reality

Black hammer,
Sometimes what we type comes through sounding different that what is meant because we can’t hear tone and see facial expression. What I meant was I am not happy with 14.00 beaver but maybe I made a little more at FHA. You’re correct in assuming that perhaps the same beaver may have done better than average price I received at FHA. I hope you’re comment about being a liar is coming through as the same as my first sentence.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 02:10 PM

So Gibb posted NAFAs 2 day sales. So lets see FHAs break down so we can actually compare.
Posted By: otterman53

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 02:32 PM

Shipped one XL beaver and got 10.00 for it. One LG Sel Otter 14.00. Sent 55 coons of which they can't find 14 of my bigger size. Twenty six sold and fifteen bought back for 1.67 aversage. Not good. think i'm done shipping to NAFA for a while or maybe forever.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 02:34 PM

Speaking of the NAFA beaver sale -

The Top Lot was purchased by Tim Caven of Minnesota Trapline Products. Way to go Tim!!

Those pelts will make a great finished item and the Top Lot award will look great on your office wall.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 02:35 PM

So do you think your fur would have done better at FHA?

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 02:58 PM

Don't know. think I may try Gronwal SP. next year. Never used them but with no commission held out and getting paid on the spot it can't be any worse.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:03 PM

Oh and I forgot. No cities fees or drumming fees either. and about an hour shorter drive to deliver furs. All of which is a plus for me.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:20 PM

Well Groney Is a choice but he Is charging you all those fees when he buys your fur. He has to pay cities fees he will drum that fur. It's called over head and he will just pay you less so he can recoup those parts of the fur handling

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by otterman53
Shipped one XL beaver and got 10.00 for it. One LG Sel Otter 14.00. Sent 55 coons of which they can't find 14 of my bigger size. Twenty six sold and fifteen bought back for 1.67 aversage. Not good. think i'm done shipping to NAFA for a while or maybe forever.

Forever is a long time. The beaver market isn't that great right now and hasn't been for awhile. I ship to either auction house. Country buyers are a few hours away from me, and the auction houses send pick up agents to within a few miles of me.

Both auction houses are probably going to be pretty close on beaver, I think. You need to ship a large amount every year to make a good decision on it though, not one or two. I cant just go and say that one house or the other did me any wrong .

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:51 PM

That seems like a fair assessment to me.

Instead of placing the blame on the auction houses place the blame where It should be placed. "THE BUYER" Or the fashion trend.

If It weren't for the auction houses we would be screwed. Who would be In competition with the gronies of the fur trade.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 03:56 PM

That right. Both auction house are out to sell fur for the highest price possible, and that makes their commission higher. That's how they make money.

The market is poor is all .

Thankfully for the rest of the fur buying world, I'm up here producing high quality northern fur just so someone can buy some, lol.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 05:04 PM

I sold spring beaver to Grony at $9.52 average green pelts. Does not seem too bad with no put up or commission, plus check on the spot.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 05:36 PM

Them must'a been some beauties. There were very few coons that sold for under 2$
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 05:59 PM

What’s the Most Yinz Evah got for a single beaver pelt in the last 20 years ?? My Best was 78.00
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 05:59 PM

Mike Mason, I sold my beaver to Groeny too. Averaged what you did on green pelts and also had a pile of them put up. Together they averaged nearly $12. Also did way better on otter than I ever did with NAFA, even before deducting the CITES fee and commission. Rats were better too by a long shot. Coon were about the same as were reds, but at least they bought them and I got a check. I'd rather have my cash and put it too work than wait 3 years for something to sell for 50% less than what it was originally put up for auction at. I'll still ship certain things, but my coons, reds, beaver, rats,mink, and otter will; be going to Groenewold.
Posted By: Boco

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 06:18 PM

$300 nessie-top lot at fha,dont remember the exact year.Probably 20 years ago.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
So do you think your fur would have done better at FHA?

Just an opinion based on experience for me beav, and just on beaver. I reckon it’s a personal thing based on anyone’s region and put up etc..

You can go grade by grade if you like but I don’t think I woulda come close at nafa on beaver. Just my 2cents.

Attached picture D387A604-A8DA-4BDB-A83F-D9AB93A4BAFD.jpeg
Posted By: kingrat

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 07:35 PM

Is the sizing the same at both auction houses.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 07:37 PM

Well It looks like you did OK with a $19.00 average and change. What did you end up average wise once all the charges were deducted?

Still not to bad In this market.
I sold all my ADC beaver put up for $15.00 apiece. I would have sold them for $12.00 but the guy made me a offer I couldn't refuse. LOL
Posted By: mike mason

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 07:54 PM

Anthony.......Did great with Grony on the 'rats also. Averaged over $4.00 straight run ,no cherry picking.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 08:04 PM

Forever is a long time. The beaver market isn't that great right now and hasn't been for awhile. I ship to either auction house. Country buyers are a few hours away from me, and the auction houses send pick up agents to within a few miles of me.

Both auction houses are probably going to be pretty close on beaver, I think. You need to ship a large amount every year to make a good decision on it though, not one or two. I cant just go and say that one house or the other did me any wrong .
NAFA's Eastern beaver average for 1st section pelts is reported as $10 and change, this does NOT include 3rd section pelts. Fur Harvesters OVERALL average for Eastern beaver that includes 3rd section pelts for the May sale is reported as $18 and change. That is not "close". Check the reports on both auctions website.
Posted By: kingrat

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 09:58 PM

Nafa sold over twice the amount and 100 percent clearance. Fha sold 80 ish percent, so what 20 %never sold was it small ones or what?

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/01/19 11:47 PM

Since I was concentrating on coyotes and coons last season, I only had 2 beaver in the auction - both in the same lot and XL - got $11.50 ea for them.
May just turn the coons loose this year - sent 10 good ones to NAFA and only 2 sold.
Posted By: Michigander

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 12:32 AM

Besides coyotes I can't see the point in trying to sell anything. I would rather have a mountain of tanned fur sitting around than give it away for these terrible prices. Pretty soon we will be cheap enough to take over the house insulation market.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 01:30 AM

Dont understand why some of yall dont forgo the auctions and sell to Groenewold. They make annual runs near many of you and you get paid on the spot. Your averages on most species will be very close or better than the auctions.

I guess yall wouldnt have anything to fuss about if your fur was all sold and the money was in your pocket...lol. Heck...even my southern Georgia fur is bought by GFWC.

Carry on hard heads....

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by kingrat
Nafa sold over twice the amount and 100 percent clearance. Fha sold 80 ish percent, so what 20 %never sold was it small ones or what?
Some were XXLG select heavy skins, and LM size and some smalls that didn't sell.
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 12:33 PM

Dont understand why some of yall dont forgo the auctions and sell to Groenewold. They make annual runs near many of you and you get paid on the spot. Your averages on most species will be very close or better than the auctions.

I guess yall wouldnt have anything to fuss about if your fur was all sold and the money was in your pocket...lol. Heck...even my southern Georgia fur is bought by GFWC.

Carry on hard heads....

Some people, I guess I'll place myself in that column, like the "sport" of the auctions, see where their fur "ranks" against everybody's else. Can't really get that from GFW's 5 pile method. That may not be logical but its the draw of gambling. Sometimes the wheel comes up all cherries but most of the time not. With that said, if I produced considerable more volume, I might experiment more and shop around. A much, much better trapper than me that lives 30 miles west of here, sold their pile of coon in either 2017 or 18 to both auction houses and GFW. Maybe he'll respond here or I'll ping him about his experience. I don't think he had a negative opinion in selling to GFW but it didn't make him a fervent convert either.
Posted By: 080808

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 01:52 PM

Prices going up= auction houses
Prices flat overall = GFW
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 02:03 PM

You’ll will Nevah ..Evah...get a Top Lot price from Groney...or a fancy Certificate to hang on the wall...or a free hat..or Mink board....so you can have bragging rights...
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mike mason
Anthony.......Did great with Grony on the 'rats also. Averaged over $4.00 straight run ,no cherry picking.

I sold my entire muskrat collection to Groeny. November to February. No cherry-picking, everything went including damaged pelts. $4.29 average.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
You’ll will Nevah ..Evah...get a Top Lot price from Groney...or a fancy Certificate to hang on the wall...or a free hat..or Mink board....so you can have bragging rights...

What you talking about Willys? GFW hands me a certificate every time! And I have a cap and a t-shirt too. Have had free pizza on more than one occasion as well.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 03:03 PM

My certificate is their check! Can’t buy more traps with t-shirts, hats, and wall hangers. My ego is $$$$.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 04:28 PM

A guess would be that FHA had mostly Northern Canada beaver and primer skins. Could be wrong. I feel we still mostly have a hatter market with maybe 5 percent being otherwise

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 04:31 PM

Spot on BH

Groneys paying around $8.00 for just about every beaver He buys on his routes. That doesn't make beaver trapping very profitable.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 04:42 PM

Every beaver I caught this spring had $9 in castor in it.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 04:43 PM

Spot on BH

Groneys paying around $8.00 for just about every beaver He buys on his routes. That doesn't make beaver trapping very profitable.

$8.00 Ave Beav??

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 04:55 PM

Green skinned hatter market.

I had a $5.00 average on my last bunch of rats and a $4.54 cent average on my early rats from Guy. But when you look at the market and selling on these late sales Is a crap shoot. I'm betting groneys not paying that kind of money know.
I didn't trap coon but I had a few incidentals when trapping coyotes. And I did pretty good with about a $18.00 average.
I sold him 3 coyotes I think I made a mistake on that deal seeing how the coyotes sales went at auction. But It Is what It Is.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 05:16 PM

The price of beaver pelts for the old hatter market in Europe was so high that it nearly led to the annihilation of beaver worldwide.Why are these hatter companys able to get beaver for crappy prices today.Supply outstrips demand?

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 05:21 PM

I don't know. We got to get the Europieans interested again.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by 080808
Prices going up= auction houses
Prices flat overall = GFW

That's how you play it...^^^^^

Although I do like not having to turn my grey fox....

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 06:18 PM

Works for me.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
The price of beaver pelts for the old hatter market in Europe was so high that it nearly led to the annihilation of beaver worldwide.Why are these hatter companys able to get beaver for crappy prices today.Supply outstrips demand?

No one wears felt hats anymore well maybe some cowboys.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 08:43 PM

If none wears felts hats anymore then what are they making out of these hatter beaver...underwear?

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 08:49 PM

Well I should have said not like they use to. They use to wear coon skin coats too. And they use to wear horse hair blankets In the sleigh with foot warmers filled with charcoal. Things aren't like they use to be.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/02/19 08:54 PM

http://www.alfredjacobmiller.com/explore/from-pelt-to-felt/
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/03/19 01:14 AM

If none wears felts hats anymore then what are they making out of these hatter beaver...underwear?

That sounds sexy!! I'll wear them if you buy me a pair shocked
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/03/19 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by ratbrain
Originally Posted by mike mason

I sold my entire muskrat collection to Groeny. November to February. No cherry-picking, everything went including damaged pelts. $4.29 average.

Groeny Rocks!!!

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 02:57 PM

Every beaver I caught this spring had $9 in castor in it.

When the fur sells for $60 they still have $6 dollar castor. The auctions and groeny are equal in that both pay less than cost of production and a decent return and they know it.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by blackhammer
A guess would be that FHA had mostly Northern Canada beaver and primer skins. Could be wrong. I feel we still mostly have a hatter market with maybe 5 percent being otherwise

Where fha beat nafa real bad was in slt. They sorted the slt hvy and semi.
The semis sold for hatter prices. The hvy sold for shearing prices. FHA is top turd in the crap pile.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 05:14 PM

If you all think the auction houses are tight - try negotiating with an Amish guy over pelts... Sheesh!!

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 05:16 PM

I use to put up a lot of fur for a Amish buyer named Ropp. Don't remember what state he bought In.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 05:16 PM

Pitiful when some supply dealer can buy top lot, lol.

Southern fur best to go the groney route, golden triangle fur in the far north do better at the Canadian casino. Same ol story, different year on here, keep on arguing.
Posted By: webfootwhacker

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 06:56 PM

I believe Ropp buys in Missouri

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jtrapper
Pitiful when some supply dealer can buy top lot, lol.

Southern fur best to go the groney route, golden triangle fur in the far north do better at the Canadian casino. Same ol story, different year on here, keep on arguing. The price he paid was anything but pitiful. Anyone can bid on fur and buy it if they pay enough, I thought $134 apiece for beavers was a pretty respectable price!

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 07:54 PM

I'm glad someone is still buying.

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 08:25 PM

I use to put up a lot of fur for a Amish buyer named Ropp. Don't remember what state he bought In.

Yep - They're not all that way - a friend in Indiana got some fair prices from an Amish buyer.
I don't think the guy in KY wants to fool with it anymore and is just taking a few for his craft business.

I went to NAFA a couple of years ago. Haven't looked back...

Re: NAFA Beaver - 06/04/19 11:07 PM

. I was referring to numbers the auction companies post. Sure yours are accurate and like all us I’m sure you aren’t thrilled with this beaver market
© 2024 Trapperman Forums