Home

crossbow question

Posted By: marathonman

crossbow question - 06/01/19 03:08 PM

Is a barrett crossbow an o.k. one to buy.Question comes from an out of state friend of mine..honestly the only thing I do know is make sure that one has a thumb guard..I do not have one myself nor have I ever shot one..not there yet.
Posted By: Whopper Stopper

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 03:13 PM

Barnett? If so for a low- mid priced bow they are ok

Pretty much a Ford- Chevy thing these days.

WS

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 03:19 PM

I stand correct I would say more than likely he means Barnett
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 04:12 PM

They are an OK xbow, but overall the quality of them is not what it use to be. I worked as an archery tech for quite a while and repaired more Barnetts than anything else. They eat strings and cables quickly due to the way they are designed. The Wicked Ridge line by Ten Point is a great line of xbows for the money. So is the Centerpoint Sniper - probably the best lower price range crossbow out there.
Posted By: honkerextreme

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 04:20 PM

I have the Droptine. I have shot several deer with it and as of now have had no problems. I used the string wax about every 5 shots and make sure the rail is lubed also. I like this crossbow
Posted By: coydog2

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 04:28 PM

I have a Barnett and a Ten Point. The only reason I got the Ten Point at the time was because my Barnett was stolen from my Ranger when my brother and I was looking for a buck I shot. The game warden show up with it on the same day I had went out to get the Ten Point. and the Barnett was damage by the one who stole it. But I got it fix now and sight back in.I same it for a back up now.
Posted By: alaska viking

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 04:31 PM

I have a Barnett Penetrator, wax the string, cable, and rails religiously, and have no problems.
Thier scopes are junk, though. Replaced it with a Nikon BDC, and it is deadly.
Posted By: AnthonyT

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 06:02 PM

What Alaska Viking said about waxing the string, cables and rail - do it more than you think you should or the string and cables will not last long at all. For some reason Barnett quit putting cable slides on their crossbows. Not sure what their reasoning for this change was.

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 07:05 PM

thanks for the response
Posted By: Railroader

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 07:18 PM

I bought the entry level Barnett Recruit compound for my son several years ago and ended up using it myself the last few seasons. I think it shoots 305 feet per second maybe. i killed the buck in my profile pic with it last season and another big 9 pt a couple years ago. Shoots great with quarter sized groups out to 20 plus yards. The scope that came with it is not great but gets the job done.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 09:51 PM

Take a look at the CenterPoint Sniper. Bought one last year and love it. Cannot believe the accuracy and there is a very protective thumb/handguard on them.

Moosetrot
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: crossbow question - 06/01/19 11:25 PM

I have 2 Barnett Jackals that I bought. I keep the strings and rail waxed heavily. Have shot the one probably over 100 times each year for 3 years. The Barnett 3 dot site it came with on my first crossbow with fell apart, but hunting for elk in Colorado you can't have any magnification so I could not put a scope on it. I did put a Tru Glo 3 dot site back on it. I only paid around $150 for each bow off amazon. For being entry level low dollar cross bows they do ok. Have killed elk, deer, antelope and t turkey with it. At 150 lbs pull and around 315 fps bolt speed they are ok. Better bows out there...... sure are but costs go up. Don't be scared of a low dollar bow. I had a buddy with a $2000 bow and all the goodies. It was constantly being fixed. Guess it depends a lot on the person handling the bow. I now purchased a Killer Instinct crossbow. A little bit better bow... supposedly. We'll see.
Posted By: cci

Re: crossbow question - 06/02/19 01:02 AM

Ive had a brotherhood and a raptor for about 3 years now. No problems at all. Both made by barnett

Re: crossbow question - 06/02/19 10:54 AM

thanks again guys.I can tell my friend to feel good about a Barnett just keep the string waxed and the other pivot points oiled up.More that likely good advice for any bow, cross or conventional compound.
Posted By: coydog2

Re: crossbow question - 06/02/19 11:00 AM

Make sure you have a hand crank on it you will be glad you do in the end. Both my cross bows have a hand crank to pull the string back and I got it that I can also release the string with it also.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: crossbow question - 06/02/19 12:57 PM

If you need Repairs the Company is Super about it. My Dad had bought a used one older model. When it had issues he callrd Barnett ,mailed it in and instead of repair they m asiled him a New xbow.

True story.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums