Home

Automatic garage door opener

Posted By: Nittany Lion

Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 08:45 PM

When the vehicle is in the garage the remote opens the door all of the time, when outside the remote will not close the door if the weather is nice, it will close the door if it is rainy. The remote will open the door from the outside all of the time. The switch on the wall will close the door if the button is held in until the door is completely closed. What could be the cause?
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:06 PM

The battery could be dying.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:11 PM

Are the electric eyes clean and lined up right?
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:33 PM

Sounds like electric eye trouble. Electric eyes only stop the door from going down....not going up.
Posted By: Nittany Lion

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:35 PM

I cleaned the eyes and the green light is on, I was told if the light is green they are lined up ok. The other garage door works fine and dandy so I doubt it is the battery.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:40 PM

I would try reprogramming the remote to the door then and see if it works better.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:47 PM

Sometimes I get the eyes damp when I’m hosing out the floor, and the door malfunctions. After a day or two, it dries out and works again.
Posted By: Snare loop

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:50 PM

Some doors go back up if the run into something on the way down. A safety thing. This causes a increase in current which is detected. It is adjustable on the motor\control housing. I had to increase the setting on mine in the winter once. The cold makes everything work harder here
Posted By: Snare loop

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 09:52 PM

The other thought is you can buy one for $ 100 bucks and you don't get much. I
Posted By: Owen156

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/01/19 11:44 PM

If sunlight is breaking the beam the door will not go down. Mine did that during certain times of the day. Sounds crazy, but I took toilet paper cardboard rollers and taped them over the eye controlls so sunlight cannot difuse the beam and have never had another problem.
Posted By: Top Jimmy

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/02/19 12:12 AM

Have you installed any LED bulbs in your garage? I found out after replacing all my bulbs that many give off a frequency that will interfere with the signal. Might work fine when in the truck up close, but get a bit away and there is enough interference to keep it from working to close. You can get bulbs that won't interfere. After I got those and placed them in the garage, all was better. The other bulbs I just moved into the house.

-TJ
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Automatic garage door opener - 06/02/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Owen156
If sunlight is breaking the beam the door will not go down. Mine did that during certain times of the day. Sounds crazy, but I took toilet paper cardboard rollers and taped them over the eye controlls so sunlight cannot difuse the beam and have never had another problem.

This is the correct answer. Seen it many times.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums