Home

Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers

Posted By: dmr400

Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 04:05 AM

Looking to buy a new Honda ATV or Pioneer 500 side by side in the next couple of months. Been around them my whole life but haven't ever bought a new one, and I have no idea what kind of margins they are dealing with. I know MSRP is where things start, but on say a $8200 MSRP bike what would a reasonable price to actually pay be?

I know about setup and freight fees, luckily no tax to deal with here. Any other hidden fees that can inflate the price or be used as negotiating tools?

Thanks!
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 04:34 AM

Probably some regional variation and certainly different management styles, but the outfit I deal with posts the MSRP along with their selling price on line for the new ones. And there is not much wiggle room from their posted price. But is quite a bit less than MSRP. Just their way of doing business.
Posted By: ejgartland

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 12:05 PM

You could always wait a few months and get the year end close outs they are still brand new just last years model I did it with me recon 1000 off compared to the new year model

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ejgartland
You could always wait a few months and get the year end close outs they are still brand new just last years model I did it with me recon 1000 off compared to the new year model

When do the new year models come out? I've heard different things.
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 01:09 PM

dmr,

I bought a new Honda UTV this April, found my best deal on the Pioneer 1000/3 was buying an in stock 2018 model year. Shopped three dealers in a 60 mile radius and found a large spread in pricing on the individual unit, but all the 2018 models were $1800-2K cheaper than the current model year units.. FWIW.
Posted By: ejgartland

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by dmr400
Originally Posted by ejgartland

When do the new year models come out? I've heard different things.

I got mine in October I think they start getting new ones in september
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 01:48 PM

keep in mind,Honda has a good record on there products.
this to a consumer means less of a price break.good luck on your purchase!
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 01:53 PM

Since you are in Oregon you could always travel over and buy one in Montana. The no tax will make you feel like you got a better price in the long run.
Posted By: trapntrade

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 04:58 PM

No sales tax in Oregon
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/03/19 06:41 PM

Dealer to dealer is different many are list price here then I found one that was $350 less and they snotted the tires, here put a sprayer on one and pay the lesser ag tax that way.

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 12:27 AM

Thanks everyone, going to start going to dealerships next week probably and appreciate the info. No sales tax here fortunately, although an excuse to head east is always welcome.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 01:02 AM

You'll save some money by checking with every dealer within your driving distance. Make em compete against each other. Bought a 700 side by side back in December 2018. Saved $750. Dealers were about 100 miles apart.

Son just bought a 2019 Talon (this is one bad arse machine, but too costly for me). He got two dealers to compete... 1 in central Florida and 1 in middle Georgia..... Saved $1500.

Dealers will also tell you they cant get certain colors, etc in an effort to sell you what they have in stock....make em get the one you want.

The dealers are just like new car dealers. You hold the $$$...not them. Walk away and watch what they do, but you need cash or good credit b4 you call their bluff.
Posted By: keets

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 01:52 AM

yep...last wheeler I bought, I called every dealer in a 100 mile radius...won't take long to tell who wants the sale
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 05:14 AM

So you negotiate with your local dealer and one 100 miles away. If you purchase from the dealer 100 miles away and you take it in for service at the local dealer they will take their sweet time to get to your machine for service. At least that's the way it is here!

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 05:17 AM

Unfortunately the dealer here already has a horrible reputation for their service department. Fortunately I have a fantastic independent mechanic local.
Posted By: run

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Oh Snap
So you negotiate with your local dealer and one 100 miles away. If you purchase from the dealer 100 miles away and you take it in for service at the local dealer they will take their sweet time to get to your machine for service. At least that's the way it is here!

That's what I was thinking about.
Posted By: WV Danimal

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 12:29 PM

Went to buy a new Honda 500 a few years ago. Did the test drive, went over all the details and picked out the one I wanted. Told the sales rep I wanted to know the bottom line out the door price and he gave me a #. Shook on the deal and started filling out the mountain of paper work. When I got to the final paper with the final price by the line I was to sign on, it was like $500 more than what he had told me. I asked what was up with that and he said, "oh yeah, that's a destination fee standard on every bike we sell". I dropped the pen on the desk and said, "I'm outa here"! Went back to Suzuki, which I've owned one for 20 years with absolutely no problems. Believe it or not, the factory battery on my king quad lasted for 11 years.
Posted By: super cub

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 01:54 PM

When I bought mine a year ago I got on the phone and called all over the state to get the best price. And yes there is a big differance in prices for the same machine with the same options. I pitted one dealer to the next, ( I can get it for this price here can you beat their price)
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: Negotiating price with Honda Atv dealers - 06/04/19 02:23 PM

just like a car or other vehicle
do your research, determine what you want to pay (out the door), stick to your guns, and don't be afraid to walk out.
get their bottom line first!

when i bought my commuter car I had my price in mind. went to the dealer, told them the car i wanted and that I did not want any extra add ons - no paint protection, etc, etc. and ou

when i asked what their bottom line was, it came in less than what I was willing to pay. he almost asked if I wanted the extra protection then caught himself - we shook hands and chuckled on that one - and shortly after that I was on my way home. it helps if the salesman is a decent person and listens to what you say. I've walked away from a good deal with a bad salesman
© 2024 Trapperman Forums