Home

War Nickel

Posted By: BvrRetriever

War Nickel - 06/03/19 03:08 PM

Got lucky this morning...got a 1943 P war nickel from my change when buying coffee! I guess you know you're getting old when that's your definition of getting lucky!

Any other coin collectors out there? What's your best find from circulation?
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: War Nickel - 06/03/19 03:19 PM

Don't forget , the war nickle has around 35% silver in it. . I got a 1901 Indian head penny in some change awhile back.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: War Nickel - 06/03/19 04:33 PM

I have a couple 1909 Lincoln pennies, also a 1737 Spanish "Reale".
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: War Nickel - 06/03/19 05:40 PM

funny how they slip back into circulation.
Hum ....wondering ,does the kids or grand kids find'em and spend it on candy sometimes.
Posted By: nightlife

Re: War Nickel - 06/03/19 05:50 PM

I handle a lot of change in my job and find a lot of wheat back pennies from the 50s and a couple doz war era ones but the oldest ones to date are

1920 penny
1936 nickel
1931 dime
1941 quarter

A few years ago I had a guy come in and pay for his order with 2 20 dollar gold certificates a 10 gold certificate and 3 5 dollar silver certificates all of them like new except for having been carried in his wallet otherwise I think they would have been unfolded, the only thing I can think of is that he was cleaning up after someone had died or something and found tucked in a drawer or something and just assumed they were just regular bills or something

Not a collector but just enjoy the hunt for old coins in the change

I have also found a fair number of foreign coins mixed in with the normal US change
Posted By: newtoga

Re: War Nickel - 06/03/19 06:57 PM

I use to work in a store and counted the money. Would see older pennies pretty regular and occasional silver coin.when a lot of older silver would show up in let’s say in a weeks time, we always figured someone stole it and used the store to fence it.
Strangest thing I ever encountered was an older lady came in and cashed in 100 rolls of wheat pennies , of course I bought them all.
Posted By: hippie

Re: War Nickel - 06/03/19 07:04 PM

Boy, that brings back memories of years past!

We delivered papers when we were little (60's into the 80's) and it got to the point that we were into the hundreds of papers delivered. Sunday alone we delivered 4-5 hundred Harrisburg patriots. Anyhow, you can only imagine the change we got and Sunday afternoons I'd go thru them and pick out the war nickels. I don't know what mom did with them, but I know I filled a bucket with them. I'm gonna guess she still has them somewhere.

She saved silver 50 cent pieces, and she had a charge of them too. Still remember going thru change, seperating and putting into sleeves.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: War Nickel - 06/03/19 07:42 PM

I wish would save old coins when younger. How u find them? I alwsys look at change. Not old coin in many years
Posted By: run

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 12:23 AM

Coonman, you could start saving quarters. They have pretty neat designs on them. I am not a pro coin collector , just my 2 cents.

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Horse Creek Fur
Best find: 2 1984 Double Die pennies

I think I would go nuts if I tried to look for die errors. How in the world would you familiarize yourself with them all? Way too tedious and time consuming for me!
Posted By: Actor

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 01:49 AM

I haven't spent pennys since 1972 when they were talking about stop making them … I have several of laying around. I had a pretty nice collection years ago and when my house was robbed they got most of the coins collection and 17 long and hand guns.

Garry-
Posted By: charles

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 02:04 AM

I need a 1916D dime to complete that set. A junk grade is about $500. Only made 216;000 of them.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 02:48 AM

War nickels in circulation aren’t a rare as one would think.

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by run
Coonman, you could start saving quarters. They have pretty neat designs on them. I am not a pro coin collector , just my 2 cents.

Normally I would disagree but searching 2019 quarters for ones with a W mint mark could be worth while.

They seem to be fetching 15 bucks plus all day long on eBay.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 03:29 AM

[Linked Image]

I got one a couple weeks ago too...at Dunkin Donuts..1943 P

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 09:42 AM

All five issues of the 2019 ATB series quarters will be minted with a limited quantity at West Point besides the normal quantities at the Denver and Philadelphia mints.

I believe mintage is 2 million each issue

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 11:56 AM

Thanks, Steven.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 01:01 PM

Interesting thread

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 01:20 PM

Is Sanfrancisco still minting ? ..”S”

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 05:12 PM

Yes, but not for coins that are intended for circulation. The ones minted there typically for collector proof sets. Dimes, halves and quarters are still minted there in 90 percent silver for collector sets.

Generally gold and silver eagles are what is minted at the West Point mint. This year they decided to do a run of 2 million coins for each America the beautiful quarter issues and putting them out into circulation to try and spur some interest in coin collecting.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 06:22 PM

I better get some better reading glasses to see that mark..lol
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 07:30 PM

I have all 3 war pennies that were made of steel. Have a lot of older coins all found with my metal detector, Indian head pennies, standing liberty quarters, barber dimes, V nickels, half dollars, Mercury dimes.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 08:26 PM

Canada put out a V nickel for victory at the end of the war.
It is hard to believe that tomorrow is the anniversary of D-day landing so many years ago.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 09:10 PM

I got this buffalo nickel today. Date is worn off.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: War Nickel - 06/04/19 11:40 PM

[Linked Image]

Got this nice 1939 ....at Dunkin Donuts this afternoon .....they say it’s worth .50 ...also first year for this style nickel.
Posted By: outdoorsjd

Re: War Nickel - 06/05/19 12:09 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I metal detect as one of other hobbies, these 2 barber dimes are my best finds so far. 1911 must have dropped very very early in its life

Re: War Nickel - 06/05/19 12:18 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Yes....that is in fine shape !

Re: War Nickel - 06/05/19 01:27 AM

Very nice JD!
Posted By: NonPCfed

Re: War Nickel - 06/05/19 01:52 AM

Canada put out a V nickel for victory at the end of the war.
It is hard to believe that tomorrow is the anniversary of D-day landing so many years ago.

That would be a neat one to have!!

Yeah, Northof50, its hard to believe hitting those beaches was 75 years ago. A kid that was a newbie 18-year old would be 93 now. Not too many of those guys left. I'm sure that also almost nobody knows (because why teach that in history books!) that the Canadians were heavily involved in D-Day (14,000 + troops at Juno Beach plus paratroopers) and as the battle of Normandy evolved you're country fielded an entire army, the First Canadian Army. A lot of blood born north of the 49th parallel was spilled in that war...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Canadian_Army

Re: War Nickel - 06/05/19 02:54 AM

Here’s the back of that 1939 [Linked Image]

What do you think ?
Posted By: k9gter

Re: War Nickel - 06/06/19 03:01 PM

i got a 1943 steel penny when i paid for gas the other day. They also had some old $2 bills and 3 silver dollars i was able to get also. It was a good day to put gas in the old truck.

Re: War Nickel - 06/06/19 04:39 PM

Odds are those silver dollars aren’t silver and if they are, well then, Jackpot!
Posted By: k9gter

Re: War Nickel - 06/06/19 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Odds are those silver dollars aren’t silver and if they are, well then, Jackpot!

one 1959 and 2 1964

Re: War Nickel - 06/07/19 06:31 PM

Horse Creek Fur, do you have any books on coin collection?
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: War Nickel - 06/07/19 10:04 PM

A couple of years ago I stopped at a local Burger King for lunch. When the teenage kid at the cash register was making my change, he had to open a new roll of dimes. He broke open the roll, handed me a dime, and when looking at the dimes he had just opened, he said these are all Canadian dimes. The manager came over, and snatched them up. The entire $5 roll was all silver Mercury dimes from the 1950s. I did get the one the kid handed me when I paid my bill.

Re: War Nickel - 06/08/19 11:48 AM

Nice story, BigBrownie.
Posted By: Duckstick80

Re: War Nickel - 06/08/19 12:59 PM

I was fishing with my dad when I was about 8 years old and kept seeing something shiny about eight feet into the lake laying on the sandy bottom. My dad kept telling me it was a copenhagen lid. Curiosity got the best of me and I waded out there to find out it was a 1902 Morgan silver dollar. Still have it to this day.
Posted By: Swivel

Re: War Nickel - 06/08/19 03:14 PM

Superb work!
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: War Nickel - 06/09/19 03:37 PM

And all this time I thought War NIckel was a race horse.

Re: War Nickel - 06/19/19 12:37 AM

Not even a wheat penny lately.....

Re: War Nickel - 07/11/19 02:45 AM

I also found a 1943 P in my change this morning. $1.10 melt value.

Re: War Nickel - 07/11/19 03:10 AM

Few people use cash now, so the coins just sit there. Was the 120 customer through a till today at the grocery store and was the first to pay by cash.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: War Nickel - 07/11/19 02:24 PM

A guy just retired from work in the last couple of years. He was 65 or so. His grandfather owned a small general store at a cross roads in rural Indiana. He kept a pickle jar with any strange piece of change that he came across. My buddy said it was full, sitting on a shelf somewhere, and that he hadn't gone through it.

When my uncle died (actually my grandmothers brother?) he had a change collection and my aunt just hauled it all into the bank in various loads for face value and wouldn't hear otherwise or let the family buy it or anything. She had a burr about something that I never found out about.

This is the entirety of my "collection" I've gotten in pocket change. Is it anything?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: War Nickel - 07/11/19 07:41 PM

The left Canadian penny with the Dove is a 1967 Centennial penny. Penny's are no longer used in Canada But the melt down value is 1.75 cents USD

Re: War Nickel - 07/13/19 12:28 AM

Thanks , North of 50.

Re: War Nickel - 07/13/19 02:22 AM

I have found several of those Canadian centennial pennies over the years when I used to go through some change. Also the centennial dime with a salmon on the back. I had to purchase my examples of 1967 quarter, half and dollar silver coins.

the quarter has a bobcat on the reverse side, half dollar a howling wolf and the dollar a canadian goose. I do not have the nickel with a hare, I could buy it but it doesn't have precious metal content so the heck with it.

Canada made some sweat silver coins back in the day, too bad they have/had a tribute to the monarchy on the obverse.

Re: War Nickel - 10/09/19 01:29 AM

Too Funny....got a 1940S nickel today.....been a while since I got anything good.....not even a wheat penny lately

Re: War Nickel - 10/09/19 01:40 AM

Cool , Nessmuck.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: War Nickel - 10/09/19 05:36 PM

Junkie thieves find old coins in houses they rob, and spend it.
Posted By: Mark K

Re: War Nickel - 10/09/19 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Boy, that brings back memories of years past!

We delivered papers when we were little (60's into the 80's) and it got to the point that we were into the hundreds of papers delivered. Sunday alone we delivered 4-5 hundred Harrisburg patriots. Anyhow, you can only imagine the change we got and Sunday afternoons I'd go thru them and pick out the war nickels. I don't know what mom did with them, but I know I filled a bucket with them. I'm gonna guess she still has them somewhere.

She saved silver 50 cent pieces, and she had a charge of them too. Still remember going thru change, seperating and putting into sleeves.

I would have a talk with her about them if I were you. Otherwise she croaks and one of your siblings or other relatives will suddenly have them. They mean something to you. Not to them.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: War Nickel - 10/10/19 01:40 PM

Off topic a little. My buddy showed me about 50 half-dimes (made until 1873) with a hole punched
in each and threaded on a wire for safe keeping. His great grandad did it and destroyed any collector value.
Oh well..good intentions.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums