Home

Making Whale Oil

Posted By: yukonjeff

Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 06:54 AM

My neighbor gave me a slab of baby Beluga skin with fat.

[Linked Image]

I cut the fat into chunks and set on the kitchen counter to render. Stir it twice a day with a wooden stick.( it does smell like you would imagine smile when its done pour off the oil and freeze for storage. This one has just been rendering two days. not done yet.

[Linked Image]

Folks dip dry fish and meats ,and added to soup. Its milder than seal oil.

I bet it would make great coon or mink lure. Works on fox.
Posted By: Osky

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 11:40 AM

Does it not bring a fish taste to any foods cooked with it?

Osky
Posted By: Beaglador

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 12:14 PM

How does it pair with them bananas?
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 01:08 PM

"...... set on the kitchen counter to render. Stir it twice a day with a wooden stick.( it does smell like you would imagine."

I'd be on the street.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 01:15 PM

I think I'd make bacon out of that.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 01:24 PM

Does it always render that clear?? looks like great stuff.

Mac
Posted By: furgotten

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 01:29 PM

Cracklings comes to mind .
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 02:27 PM

Think I'll pass on that.
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 04:22 PM

Yukonjeff: Was that a calf, looks grey. Calves for some reason are tougher than the adults. Did you get any meat to make dry meat?
Beagelador: Whale oil (ukarook ) and bananas fried in a sandwich sounds like a real winner.

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ross
That's cool. Thanks for posting.

Can you cook with it?

I never have, not sure if people cook with it. It is added to soups when its done though.
Originally Posted by Osky
Does it not bring a fish taste to any foods cooked with it?

Osky

Yes it does have a bit of a fish flavor.

Originally Posted by Macthediver
Does it always render that clear?? looks like great stuff.

Yes it does . When it gets old, it turns yellow. We throw it then.

Mac

Originally Posted by muskrat411
Yukonjeff: Was that a calf, looks grey. Calves for some reason are tougher than the adults. Did you get any meat to make dry meat?
Beagelador: Whale oil (ukarook ) and bananas fried in a sandwich sounds like a real winner.

Yes its a calf. I find just the opposite, the calves are the tender ones, the older white ones can be a bit chewy, but they all cook down tender with time.
No I didn't get any black meat. I wish.
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by furgotten
Cracklings comes to mind .

Thought the same. Then I thought of the bubble guts I get with crackling and imagined whale crackling bubble guts.

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 05:22 PM

The crackling render down to what looks like a few pink wet noodles at the bottom. Its the fiber left of the fat and is about like chewing rubber bands, but people do eat them.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 08:47 PM

Jeff, are you just letting it sit on the counter in the jar to render, or do you apply heat??
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/04/19 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by J.Morse
Jeff, are you just letting it sit on the counter in the jar to render, or do you apply heat??

I was thinking heat also it sure works well on the skunk fat!
Posted By: Zim

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 12:17 AM

That is very interesting to me.
I will say that over the years my neighbors have brought over
some interesting stuff but have been a bit light on the Beluga,
much less a baby with fat.

Zim
Posted By: adam m

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 01:03 AM

That's awesome.
I would cut up some chunks and cook them up. I bet it would be good. I would love to eat some beluga meat

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by J.Morse

Yes just sitting there no heat. One of foulest aroma on the planet is seal or whale oil burning. some start their stove with it.

Boiled is the way most cook it. I pickled the skin before and its good. The meat is black and looks like spooled thread the way its grained.

This was how I had it for dinner. I posted the other night.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 01:56 AM

How is it for lubing muzzleloader patches?

Mike
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 02:11 AM

I prefer the neighbors who share elk loins and beef steak.

My Grandfather had a process of sun rendered in strips in the winter. Best stuff according to those who came miles in blizzards for it.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 02:52 AM

Is that a sailor boy biscuit?
Posted By: Zim

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 03:24 AM

Jeff, you sure enough win the Trapperman Prize for the most interesting vittles.
Nice presentation and Savell would be proud of the Dixie china.

Zim

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Is that a sailor boy biscuit?

Why yes it is. They help soak up the oil in your belly after dining on whale.

[Linked Image]

Thanks Zim. The Dixie China is the best choice, since it would be a shame to have to throw away the good china because of the whale oil smell. smile
Posted By: run

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 12:10 PM

Do you sell whale oil?

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 04:46 PM

No. The marine mammal protection act made sure of that.
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/05/19 08:46 PM

I've heard whale oil makes a great trapping lure ingredient. I think that some of the old Mast lure's had whale oil in them.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 03:52 AM

I sure hope that no tuna were harmed during the harvest of that whale.
As well as being a vegetable rights activist (except for potatoes, they don't feel pain), I am a fish hugger. smile
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 03:12 PM

jeff> now that whale you have on the plate .is that just boiled skin and fat?
and if so, hows that for chewing, like bubble gum>

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 05:04 PM

Yes correct its the skin with fat. They call it Mungduk here.

Its not chewy like you think. More like jello.

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 05:24 PM

Here muk tuk is cut into 1/2" bite sized pieces. I never seen any one with a slab on there plate before. Do you use an ulu to cut it up?

Do you occasionally get beluga come up the Yukon River?

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 05:43 PM

Here Muktuk is the Bowhead whale. None here, only in the northern part of AK Barrow area. I ate it and like it though.That stuff is chewy when eaten raw.

Yes the women here use a uluk to cut fish, and meat, and skin, yes whale too, but not to eat with.

We are 70 miles inland from the Bering Sea, so yes some Beluga do come up, they follow the salmon, but the deep water makes it impossible to catch them. Most travel to the coast and hunt there in the shallow coastal waters.
Posted By: Steelflight

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 09:21 PM

How's it burn?

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 10:29 PM

here everybody uses ulu to cut whale when they eat, knife and fork would look silly.
Bowhead whale makes really excellent wolverine bait if you put let it get a little sour it will not freeze and it sits on the trigger wires of a 330 really good. its chewy so it does not break when wolverine yanks on it.

Steelfiight: I have heard rumors of polar bear hunters using whale or seal oil on there wood in air tight heaters so the smell in the smoke attracts the bears. plus it would make the fire hotter. Not sure ho the smell in the tent would be. When I was a kid we use to burn trash in burn barrels in town and occasionally the neighbor would have ukaruk in her garbage. It use to be really smelly.

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/06/19 10:37 PM

That's pretty cool Muskrat. They might eat with a ulu up north ,but I never seen it. I would be afraid to cut my lips off. Here folks do use a fork and a knife.

And Yes it burns hot. I have seen people start their stove with seal oil and stunk up the whole neighborhood. Its the worst smell imaginable.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/07/19 12:17 AM

Been used utsuk/seal fat a few times when wood is scarce - stinks outside but burns good. Does not catch real easy so you have to get the tent stove going first with a bit of wood and then you can keep it going good enough with the utsuk. Leaves like a tar on the bottom of your stove though - imagine if you lined the bottom of the stove with tin foil might be easy enough to clean out stove - or a good layer of sand that helps to keep the bottom of the stove from burning out anyway. We used to cut up the utsuk with an uluk in say pieces about "6 x 6" and keep in a bucket for that purpose. Joke was, when wood was scarce, time to go out and shoot some more "firewood"/shoot another couple of seals.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/07/19 02:42 AM

"And the greasy smoke in an inky cloak went streaking down the sky"
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/07/19 03:48 AM

What is the difference between a ulu and a uluk? Regional versions of the same tool.
I wish I knew how to knap. I saw a picture of a bone handled one made of stone.

Re: Making Whale Oil - 06/07/19 07:32 AM

Cool story Crosspatch.

The Yupik Eskimos here call them Uluks. The Inupiaks of the northern Region go with Ulu I believe, same knife. Also regional difference in style of the knife as well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums