Home

My dogs eat po

Posted By: David Morse

My dogs eat po - 06/05/19 10:48 PM

I bought a pair of adult dogs from a large breeder. They are Labradors if that matters, they are able to go out without much supervision as I live in a rural area. They wander the yard munching on their own dung. I'm not going to muzzle them Every time I let them out, but I would like to stop this behavior before my other dogs see and repeat the sick act. I read that it was most common in multi dog households. They are 4 ish years old and I'm sure they did this before I obtained them. I can call one off a pile and the other will swipe in and steal it. The first time I saw it I almost puked. Any suggestions?
Posted By: wetdog

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/05/19 10:53 PM

Clean the poop up after they go
Eliminate the temptation
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/05/19 10:56 PM

Now that sounds interesting. Someone actually came up with and sells a product that makes a turd taste bad ? You've got to see the humor in that.

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/05/19 10:59 PM

It sounds good to pick it up and I do but with 4 dogs and 44 acres it is impossible to find it all. They also go in an enclosure during the day while I work and they keep the kennel clean of dung. I will look into the stuff to make it taste bad.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/05/19 11:20 PM

I've heard that if you feed them a banana once a day that they will stop. Its a texture thing I guess? Also heard it is due to diet but have no fist hand experience on this matter.

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 12:06 AM

I'm thankful there is none in my yard.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
Now that sounds interesting. Someone actually came up with and sells a product that makes a turd taste bad ? You've got to see the humor in that.

So did the inventors perform a taste test to confirm/verify

that the spiked turds actually taste bad ?

Truth in advertising requires this !! laugh

w
Posted By: Boco

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:20 AM

Sign up for turd taster walleyed,lolThey might pay you piece work.-be like a wine taster.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:28 AM

Roll in it - eat it - drag the nastiest and foulest smelling thing you've ever seen up on the porch - it's what they do...
Just be glad you weren't born a dog...
Posted By: VaBeagler

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:30 AM

Pour tomato juice over their food. Don't know why it works but it does.
Posted By: Bucky182

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:48 AM

I have been told by a vet it could be a diet deficiency or another theory is it is a strong instinct to clean up after puppies. (Mommy eats new born babies poop)

Here is how to look at it.

1. You don't have to shovel yard and you are saving on food. (Just by pass the Kisses)

2. You have a couple of @@@@ eaters.

LOL

I have raised dogs my whole life (Hunting dogs) and have seen a few do it. Never kept one that did)
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:53 AM

If you are feeding them a good quality food high in protein check the recommended serving for their weight. They might not be processing all the food and they are thinking it is kibbles in sausage form.
I've seen a lot of ranch dogs search out and fight over calf poo due to it being so rich from ma cows milk. What they didn't eat they wore like perfume - especially scour poo.

If you are feeding them lousy food like Ole Roy, well there probably isn't much hope for them, post pictures of them on the net for "People of Walmart" you could be the trendsetter for "Pets of Walmart" wink
Posted By: cci

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:59 AM

I know for a fact this works. A few tablespoons of canned pumkin in their food. In a few days they will stop. Make the turds taste bad........as opposed to a good tasting turd i guess. Ive done this with 2 dogs. After a couple weeks you can quit giving it.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 02:15 AM

Now that you mention this, I have heard about the canned pumpkin. It's cheap enough to give it a shot!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 02:20 AM

Heck, if I had a dog that dumb, I'd ... whistle
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 03:34 AM

You need to start one of those dog poo cleaning services that yuppies pay good money for. All you have to do is walk your dog. No muss no fuss.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by 52Carl
You need to start one of those dog poo cleaning services that yuppies pay good money for. All you have to do is walk your dog. No muss no fuss.

Or have kids. That's one of my sons chores, "poop patrol". I bet he wishes we didn't have 3 dogs. I have one male that just carries the dried turds around. He want touch the soft ones.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 10:24 AM

What are you complaining for? The dogs automatically clean up after themselves...I'd call that a win
Posted By: Mac

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by 20scout
Now that you mention this, I have heard about the canned pumpkin. It's cheap enough to give it a shot!

Pumpkin works.
Posted By: run

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 12:09 PM

Dogs eating vomit is mentioned in the Bible. Proverbs 26:11
Posted By: eastwood44mag

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 12:16 PM

We tried the pills... they work while the dogs ate on them, but afterwards, it's back to eating scat.
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 12:31 PM

I've got on little turd muncher here and the pumpkin works best I can tell.. I've never seen a dog wouldn't eat some kind of poop, horse, cow, rabbit, deer just seems we get a little twisted when they munch their own or one of the other dogs.. I got 3 dogs here right now and the wife's little teddy bear is the turd coni-sewer. The other two are labs one 12 years old other just now 8 months.. All three these clowns will graze on rabbit or deer turds no idea why.. but the pumpkin does keep the little one from snatching up a labturd and running..
What we really need to do is get everyone we know with a chit eating hounds together. Take them to Washington let them clean house.... Maybe be like a million mutt march..I know I had a couple bosses over the years I had to keep my turd munchers away from..

Mac
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 12:50 PM

If pumkin don't work try sprinkling garlic on food. That's what the pills I got smelled like. My wife calls them poopsickles! Nuttin like a dog with a stogie?
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 01:52 PM

Perpetual eating machines- I guess you don't have to feed them as much......
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Macthediver
I got 3 dogs here right now and the wife's little teddy bear is the turd coni-sewer. The other two are labs one 12 years old other just now 8 months.. All three these clowns will graze on rabbit or deer turds no idea why..

Mac

Had a few labs that ate deer turds. We keep a rabbit and our beagle and current lab consider her pellets a delicacy. Never had one eat it's own poop other than a mom cleaning up after her pups. The pumpkin thing is interesting.
Posted By: Hobbs

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 02:39 PM

Not that it helps but next time you have a buddy come over, look your buddy in the face and say "You better be careful, those are $*%! eating dogs, be nothing left of you but your boots"
Posted By: wildflights

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by VaBeagler
Pour tomato juice over their food. Don't know why it works but it does.

Feeding pineapple also works. Maybe it's something to do with acidity?
Posted By: BigBob

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/06/19 10:18 PM

Main problem is all the flavor enhancers they put in the dog food to make them eat it. Goes thru and the turds are tasty too.Supposedly Monosodium Glutimate (sp?) sprinkled on the food will make the turds bitter. As I understand it, those expensive pet store items are mostly MSG.
Also females that have had litters will get in the habit from cleaning up after the pups. The males are just copying what they've seen the female do.
Posted By: bob maier

Re: My dogs eat po - 06/07/19 02:49 AM

Sprinkle cayenne pepper on the turds, dog ate one came into the house w a help me look on his face.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums