Home

New PUP

Posted By: RM trapper

New PUP - 06/06/19 10:51 PM

Last two dogs I've had have been German short haired pointers and I've been very impressed with the breed, I trained one to find shed antlers and the other is just a family pet. My little girl is dog crazy and turns 5 soon so I bought her a beautiful liver roan pup out of some great stock in western Kentucky. He delivered him today and the kids are ecstatic [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BigBob

Re: New PUP - 06/06/19 10:59 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: trap master

Re: New PUP - 06/06/19 11:17 PM

good lookin pup there RM trapper. I love them shorthairs. I lost my old boy last September and didn't know what do with myself this past bird season, I didn't know how long it would take to get another one but then in mid December I was reading a book called The Rufus Chronicles by CW Gusewelle about his dog Rufus and well... the rest is history. my new pup is at boot camp now,AKA the trainer lol.best wishes to you and your pup.
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: New PUP - 06/06/19 11:20 PM

Super nice looking pup. I have had shorthairs my whole life (all 31 years of it lol). They are great dogs. I hunt mine, but as long as they have a job and are in an active family, they are great. Shed hunting sounds like a good job for a shorthair. Keep us posted on your pup. What's the little fella's name?

Re: New PUP - 06/06/19 11:32 PM

The kids named him "diesel" , I do a lot of shed hunting and having a dog makes it a lot more fun, they are definitely a high energy dog. If we had birds now I'd be grouse hunting them but they are all but scarce here
Posted By: Matt28

Re: New PUP - 06/06/19 11:34 PM

Great looking pup.

Re: New PUP - 06/06/19 11:35 PM

Thanks Matt, maybe I can teach him to find morels. Lol

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 12:06 AM

Diesel is a good name for a shorthair. No bobwhites in your neck of the woods?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 12:29 AM

New pups tug at the heart. A cutie for sure!

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 01:49 AM

No Idaho we don't have any bobwhite around here, but middle Tennessee has them but their number a aren't good, in the mountains I live in my family hunted grouse but they are really struggling. When I waa growing up dwee hunting you would always hear them drumming. Now it's a rare thing to see one

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 01:55 AM

I said we don't have any bobwhite but we do have a few but they are as scarce as the grouse now, I'm not in a great area for bird hunting

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 02:00 AM

Dang that's too bad. I know a lot of the south has struggles with bobwhite populations. Figured Kentucky might not be in that category. I'm assuming it's from habitat loss? Sorry if I'm hijacking your post with bird questions. You have a real nice puppy there.
Posted By: Osky

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 02:22 AM

Nice pup. Mine would trail anything I put it on. Hated bears tho, and would look back every 10 steps and give me " the look" so I wouldn't forget it. He never broke on me, terrific dogs.
If you start him swimming young, he'll break ice for ducks and goose retrieves. Mine put some good labs and cheesies to shame. Would never quit a retrieve.
You have my envy.

Osky
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 02:34 AM

Nice dog

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 03:46 AM

Thanks guys, nothing like a good dog. The kids have been playing with him all evening and had to make them go to bed. These dogs are really high energy but they are also great with kids and very loyal
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 10:54 AM

Beautiful looking pup . I never had a house dog until three years ago .Now I have 2 . The older one has shown some promise to be a shed hunter and is slowly learning to be a bird hunter also .And the 4 month pup has all the traits to be a great dog if I can channel all of her energy kids and dogs are perfect together .Learning responsibility by taking care of a dog is a great way to start them on the way to adulthood .
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 11:41 AM

Beautiful Pup!

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 12:33 PM

W side I agree about teaching the kids responsibility. My little girl does really good to be only 5, and the boys are pretty good too. Surprisingly the pup did really good for first night in the crate, only had to let him out once at 3 this morning to pee
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 12:37 PM

Nice pup
Posted By: l1ranger

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 01:13 PM

nice - great dogs
Posted By: wheelers

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 03:24 PM

Nice looking pup. I used to run German shorthairs for probably 15 years.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 04:57 PM

Outstanding!

I'm guessing that dog is going to have a good life with lots of fun and companionship.

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 08:17 PM

Yea lugnut he's going to have plenty of companionship with the way my kids love dogs, and we are always outside doing stuff, and they are a great breed that seem to never rum out of energy and aim to please
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 08:48 PM

I raised three daughters. From when they were born until they left home I always had two or three dogs in the house. The girls treated them like additional siblings and included them in their play. They played a game called "Dogshow" where they would set up partitions in the living room, spend hours grooming and dressing the dogs up and then judge them and award ribbons. The dogs loved the attention. They did lots of outdoor activities together and were also my hunting and trapping companions (daughters and dogs).

It was rare that somebody wasn't home with the dogs and they always had other dogs in the house to keep them company.

I like to think it was a pretty good life for the dogs. Your post reminded me of all that.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 09:02 PM

I was a member of a Pheasants Forever chapter for more than 25 years Of course most of them had dogs or had dogs in the past .And most of them also said more than once they like dogs more than people . I understand how they feel and agree completely . And Lugnut If someone wants to treat me like a dog sign me up .In todays world that would be a great life
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: New PUP - 06/07/19 10:07 PM

Puppy breath!
Posted By: billy

Re: New PUP - 06/08/19 04:36 PM

congrats to you and your family on the new baby in the house, dosnt get no better. lotsa fun there.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: New PUP - 06/08/19 06:20 PM

This is my pup Izzy. We went to Michigan and got her. My first GSP. I already like her a lot.

Re: New PUP - 06/08/19 06:23 PM

I've had several breeds but the GSPs are by far my favorite, you will be happy with it Abu65

Re: New PUP - 06/08/19 08:27 PM

My picture didn't come through?? i'll try again in a little while. Yours is a nice looking puppy.

Re: New PUP - 06/08/19 08:43 PM

What part of Kentucky are you from Abu65? My pup came from western Kentucky around bowling green, I had bought a pup from this breeder before and was extremely happy, great bloodline and a drive to hunt

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 10:13 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
What part of Kentucky are you from Abu65? My pup came from western Kentucky around bowling green, I had bought a pup from this breeder before and was extremely happy, great bloodline and a drive to hunt

Cynthiana about 30 miles north of Lexington. I got my puppy from a guy in the upper peninsula of Michigan, Aspen Thicket Grouse dogs. We have been going up north Grouse hunting for about 25 years. I really like the looks of this this guys dogs and how he does things as a breeder. Who was the person you got your pup from.

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 12:08 PM

Danny Bazzell, I found his dogs on Gundog Central years ago and have been very pleased with his stock, he's a big Bird hunter and a great guy as well

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 12:10 PM

[Linked Image]
That's a great looking dog you got Abu65, I took mine for his first road trip yesterday and he rode well

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 01:53 PM

Thanks. Glad he rode good.

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 01:54 PM

What part of Tennessee are you located?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 02:27 PM

How are they with blood tracking?

Re: New PUP - 06/09/19 04:15 PM

The guy I buy mine from has sold several to a guy for deer tracking dogs and they have been very successful
Posted By: 20scout

Re: New PUP - 06/10/19 03:50 PM

A local couple have had them for years and doubt they would ever go back to another breed. They usually have three at any given time, a pup, teenager and the old lady who keeps the other two in line. Always sad when the old one passes but then within a few weeks a new pup in introduce to the pack. I built an addition onto their house a few years ago and ended up building an impressive kennel for their "kids" as well. It even had a doggy door into their living room. I always had my Jack Russell along for or the two months I was working there and the four dogs always got along great. In fact the owners said that their dogs seemed to be less playful when they got home from work and slept a lot except for weekends. Fantastic breed and hope you have lots of good years together.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums