Posted By: amspoker

Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:10 AM

Ten pound honey bass! crazy

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:13 AM

How cool is that cool

They look so calm.

Honey bees. They make the world go round.

My favorite insect.

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:18 AM

They do make the world go Sharon! They gave me fits today, though. They flew off twice before I had to give them some brood from another hive to get them to stay.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:25 AM

Nice.... Was it one of your hives ?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:27 AM

Looks like you were growling at them amspoker.
Posted By: cotton

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:37 AM

dang nice swarm
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:42 AM

grin The knowledge of influencing such "wee folk" as those are beyond me ...I just admire them from afar .

When I lived on the big isle of Hawaii , I rode a string of polo horses for a contractor , who had the stables and arenas way up the slope where the coffee plantations were....also avocados , mangos, papayas , many groves and flowers were the signature of that high altitude.

It was a lovely cooler area in habitat , that was totally different from the hot humid sea level layers below.

Honey bees loved that whole area , or as I assumed from the swarms I often saw there.

Part of my training and exercise program for the horses was after a vigorous workout in the arena, I would take them out into the lush vast countryside of trails into the coffee plantations, other groves and indigenous country . It did wonders for a hot blood mind in calming and enjoying life. Along the way, often, I would spot swarms in trees or shrubs. They never paid me any mind....they were consumed in their own goals in huddling onto the branches.

I would always report them to the local bee keeper , who was thrilled to rescue them and add to his honey production.

Nice memories for me .

Here, I have planted clover and many other flowering shrubs and indigenous plants that produce lots of flowers that bees love first thing in spring.

Not sure the range of a hive, but someone in recent years must have hives a mile or so away, as the bees love to visit . I smile watching them work, and frown mightily on the hornets who may give them grief.

Love honey bees . Unrefined honey has a plethora of pathogen fighting properties ...is so good for health and life.

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Nice.... Was it one of your hives ?

Yes, I've had trouble keeping ahead of them this year. smile
Originally Posted by J Staton
Looks like you were growling at them amspoker.

I was always taught, when enhancing the perception of your catch, to exaggerate as much as possible.

I feel I did well.

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
grin The knowledge of influencing such "wee folk" as those are beyond me ...I just admire them from afar .

When I lived on the big isle of Hawaii , I rode a string of polo horses for a contractor , who had the stables and arenas way up the slope where the coffee plantations were....also avocados , mangos, papayas , many groves and flowers were the signature of that high altitude.

It was a lovely cooler area in habitat , that was totally different from the hot humid sea level layers below.

Honey bees loved that whole area , or as I assumed from the swarms I often saw there.

Part of my training and exercise program for the horses was after a vigorous workout in the arena, I would take them out into the lush vast countryside of trails into the coffee plantations, other groves and indigenous country . It did wonders for a hot blood mind in calming and enjoying life. Along the way, often, I would spot swarms in trees or shrubs. They never paid me any mind....they were consumed in their own goals in huddling onto the branches.

I would always report them to the local bee keeper , who was thrilled to rescue them and add to his honey production.

Nice memories for me .

Here, I have planted clover and many other flowering shrubs and indigenous plants that produce lots of flowers that bees love first thing in spring.

Not sure the range of a hive, but someone in recent years must have hives a mile or so away, as the bees love to visit . I smile watching them work, and frown mightily on the hornets who may give them grief.

Love honey bees . Unrefined honey has a plethora of pathogen fighting properties ...is so good for health and life.

Their range from what I have read, is two to three miles. They are an amazing part of the creation. Someday, you will teach me about horses. And I will teach you about bees. laugh
Posted By: huntcook

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 10:56 AM

They look like they would fill two deeps.
Posted By: Finster

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 12:16 PM

I'll never get to sleep tonight!

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by huntcook

They left the boxes I gave them twice. I had to give them a couple frames of brood to persuade them to stay. I think they wanted a bigger place.
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 03:51 PM

I can remember as a kid growing up on the farm there where several hives of bees located in hollow trees .Usually they would be in a place where a large branch had broken off at the trunk of the tree and there was a hollow spot in the trunk at that location .It has been a long time since I have see a hive living in a tree . Most people do not stop to consider how important pollinators our to our food supply
Posted By: cotton

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by amspoker
Originally Posted by huntcook

They left the boxes I gave them twice. I had to give them a couple frames of brood to persuade them to stay. I think they wanted a bigger place.

one other way is to cut down a queen exclucder and put in on the front of the hive, ifin mammy can't get out the rest will stay

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 10:56 PM

Thanks for the tip. I was getting frustrated with them, as I have never had that problem before.
Posted By: AuthorTrapper

Re: Catch of the Day - 06/08/19 11:36 PM

I half hate bees anymore because we are infested with killer bees!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums