Home

To go to Church or Not?

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 12:33 PM

Loading the scales, anybody else? lol
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 12:36 PM

I probably should stay home and rest up,we have VBS all week. Reckon I'll go though.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 12:36 PM

not sure what you mean abut the scales, but...yes, we will be going.

(I need all the forgiveness and help I can get!)

plus, there's a member here I need to give an update on...our congregation is praying for him.

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 12:47 PM

On one side I have been quite busy and miss my wife and would love to go to breakfast and just spend the day hanging with just her.

On the other I have been quite busy and rewarded monetarily, delivered from what could have been 2 accidents this week on of which would have possibly killed myself or someone else, the garden is doing very well and have been blessed with outlets to sell some produce and still have quite a bit for the congregation. My son is home from college and will be playing guitar in our praise team for this morning's service.

Looks like I'm going to church.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 01:30 PM

I'm heading there now but I try to go every week unless it is opening weekend!

BFisk
Posted By: trapper les

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 01:41 PM

I just turn on church radio ...
Posted By: Mac

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by trapper les
I just turn on church radio ...

Amen Brother
Posted By: Scout1

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Loading the scales, anybody else? lol

Can't hurt to go!
Posted By: Killbuck

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 05:09 PM

In the immortal words of Ian Anderson from Jethro Tull, "He's not the kind of God you have to wind up on Sunday"!
Posted By: rags57078

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 08:01 PM

I would rather be fishing and thinking about church than be in church thinking about fishing .
I had a guy tell me once that if a person does not go to church to at least spend it with family ( true story )
One last thing , I am not sold that you have to go to church . Didn't god make the great outdoors ? so go enjoys his work

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 08:43 PM

True, you can meet God where ever but it is best to meet Him where He asks you to. lol

It ain't always about us.
Posted By: Marty

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 09:08 PM

No church for me....
Posted By: CoonsBane

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 09:17 PM

For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.

Matther 18:20
Posted By: KeithC

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 09:38 PM

NOT!!! But do treat other people decently, unless they deserve bad treatment. If you have to err, err on the side of kindness.

Keith
Posted By: whiteotter55

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 09:48 PM

I hope were not putting Jethro Tull on the same level as GOD. In Tull,s time people thought GOD was strict and unforgiving. Martin Luther showed us GOD'S love and forgiveness and were saved by his grace
Posted By: amspoker

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 10:11 PM

Matt 6:32, 33...........For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. 33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

I find I have less trouble, more time, ect. when I base decisions on this principle.

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
NOT!!! But do treat other people decently, unless they deserve bad treatment. Keith

I am sure glad I haven't gotten what I deserve.....
Posted By: The Beav

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 10:16 PM

No church for me.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 10:27 PM

I had a class all day, so I was booked.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 10:29 PM

Me and Jesus went beaver trapping today. I understand He hasn't been invited along with a fella of my caliber for quite some time.
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/09/19 10:45 PM

For me, being retired and left to my own devices, I could see way too much hunting, fishing, trapping and golf. I think it's important to get some balance in my life by attending church, and serving there and in the community, thinking a little less about me and more about others. I hope it helps me live a more Christlike life or at least be a more tolerable person to be around. I haven't missed a Sunday for I don't know how long. I really enjoy going.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 12:21 AM

Say a prayer while out fishing. smile
Posted By: adam m

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 12:50 AM

Church was good fishermen to fishers of men.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 02:10 AM

Church is where others go to judge each other!
More " gossip" goes on after church than a bar. And I'm a Christian!
I get WAY more God in the outdoors than I do ( did) going to church.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by trapper les
Me and Jesus went beaver trapping today. I understand He hasn't been invited along with a fella of my caliber for quite some time.

After wading in over my hip boots a couple times last winter, I wish I had a trapping partner who could walk on water.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 04:43 AM

God is omnipresent, meaning that He is everywhere at once.
I am always somewhere.
Therefore, He is always with me wherever I am.
I have been to too many bad churches (my opinion). They have gotten in the way of my faith.
The best bumper sticker I have ever seen read, "Lord, save me from your followers." I have found, from time to time, that I can relate to that sentiment
Posted By: J.C.

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 10:33 AM

Yesterday a friend came in from Germany via Qatar. I haven't seen him in years. Took him fishing with his kids. It was a ball. Yes it was Pentecost and "should" I spend time celebrating God, yes. And so I did. I don't like missing Mass however, I know God wants me to be with him and yesterday I surly was.

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 10:35 AM

it's true, that every church I've even been in, is full of Sinners.

I'm just one more...trying to improve my life.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 10:40 AM

Well while y'all are out fishing and such I'll be doing my best to plant a seed at VBS this week. Y'all enjoy and hope y'all catch a mess.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Sometimes yes. Those are the wrong churches to be at. They are not all like that.
Posted By: run

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 10:53 AM

I like what Sprung& Rusty said.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 11:20 AM

Sunday morning worship service is usually the best part of the week for me. What could be better than gathering with my family to worship my king, redeemer, brother, and savior?

This week we sang the hymn, "O Worship the King" which has lyrics based on Psalm 104. If you know the God described in this Psalm, there could be nothing better than joining with His people to worship Him. Just think about the millions of people all across the globe that join together on the Lord's Day to worship him together. It's thrilling to be part of that.

O worship the King,
all glorious above!
O gratefully sing
his power and his love!
Our shield and defender,
the Ancient of Days,
pavilioned in splendor,
and girded with praise.

O tell of his might!
O sing of his grace!
Whose robe is the light,
whose canopy space.
His chariots of wrath
the deep thunderclouds form,
and dark is his path
on the wings of the storm.

The earth, with its store
of wonders untold,
Almighty, thy power
hath founded of old,
hath ‘stablished it fast
by a changeless decree,
and round it hath cast,
like a mantle, the sea.

Thy bountiful care,
what tongue can recite?
It breathes in the air;
it shines in the light;
it streams from the hills,
it descends to the plain,
and sweetly distills
in the dew and the rain.

Frail children of dust,
and feeble as frail,
in thee do we trust,
nor find thee to fail;
thy mercies, how tender!
How firm to the end!
Our Maker, Defender,
Redeemer, and Friend!

O measureless Might,
ineffable Love,
while angels delight
to worship thee above,
the humbler creation,
though feeble their lays,
with true adoration
shall all sing thy praise.

1. The light of nature showeth that there is a God, who hath lordship and sovereignty over all; is good, and doeth good unto all; and is therefore to be feared, loved, praised, called upon, trusted in, and served with all the heart, and with all the soul, and with all the might.a But the acceptable way of worshipping the true God is instituted by himself, and so limited to his own revealed will, that he may not be worshipped according to the imaginations and devices of men, or the suggestions of Satan, under any visible representations or any other way not prescribed in the Holy Scripture.b

a. Josh 24:14; Psa 18:3; 31:23; 62:8; 119:68; Jer 10:7; Mark 12:33; Acts 17:24; Rom 1:20; 10:12. • b. Exod 20:4-6; Deut 4:15-20; 12:32; Mat 4:9-10; 15:9; Acts 17:25; Col 2:23.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Originally Posted by bucksnbears

Sometimes yes. Those are the wrong churches to be at. They are not all like that.

I grew up in the Pentecostal AG. Bethel Assembly of God.

Left for College in 84' and have tried to find another "Bethel" ...Its just not there anymore ...
I've become too Jaded- seeing the hymnals retired for wordy screen songs sung by "Praise" cheerleaders.

fire and brimstone preaching is gone... No real reverence for the Altar and pulpit.. 501c3 worship.

I'd Love to find an Old Time Bible Church ...Gospel Tab.

Alas.... I believe I can't get past the Changes allowed in what Services once were.

....but without Church every week " its a slow fade"

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/10/19 07:22 PM

"Amazing Grace was a new song at one time."

lol
Posted By: Mac

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 01:01 AM

If you can look long enough you can find a church that makes you feel part of the community. But typically it is a long look.
There are a great many benefits to be found belonging to a good church community. Churches serve a most useful purpose.
Finding a good one is important though.

Good luck to all
Blessings
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 01:06 AM

I have never been on a boat or in the woods on a river or lake and thought " I wish I was in church now " but that may just be me.
Posted By: chains

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 04:31 AM

Dear Lord! Give me a Bounty of Fur. Instead of $ take the meat: Feed the Homeless!
Posted By: KeithC

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I have never been on a boat or in the woods on a river or lake and thought " I wish I was in church now " but that may just be me.

I have never ever wanted to be in a church either. Church always seems like some sort of punishment to me.

Keith

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 10:43 AM

After reading I can see we are truly blessed to have found the small church we attend.

I don't recall ever being in the woods or fishing and said, "I wish I was in church" but there have been times when I have said, "I wish my church family was here." lol
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
After reading I can see we are truly blessed to have found the small church we attend.

I don't recall ever being in the woods or fishing and said, "I wish I was in church" but there have been times when I have said, "I wish my church family was here." lol

So in secret you want to get folks out of church ...... ?? laugh

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 12:08 PM

It's no secret Scuba, we do want people out of the church. Everybody there should be on the same page.
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 05:09 PM

I thought I had found the perfect congregation once, but then they let me be a part of it and that all changed.
Posted By: slydogx

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 06:37 PM

This is a good thread. It brings to mind a question that has been nagging at me since I read the bible (not bragging, this forms an important part of the question) from cover to cover last year.
While reading, I came across a passage (I think in the OT) that seemed to read "not all men need to attend church, some men understand the glory of God just by being outside, in His creation". I immediately said to myself "I should mark that passage and refer back to it to make sure it actually said/meant what I think it did"
Of course, I never did mark or write it down and now it is lost to me, seemingly forever LOL. While I randomly revisit certain passages, it would require a cover to cover re-read to even hope to identify the passage.

Does anybody know of such a passage? Even if I have potentially misinterpreted what was actually said?

I know it is a long shot.
Posted By: snowy

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
This is a good thread. It brings to mind a question that has been nagging at me since I read the bible (not bragging, this forms an important part of the question) from cover to cover last year.
While reading, I came across a passage (I think in the OT) that seemed to read "not all men need to attend church, some men understand the glory of God just by being outside, in His creation". I immediately said to myself "I should mark that passage and refer back to it to make sure it actually said/meant what I think it did"
Of course, I never did mark or write it down and now it is lost to me, seemingly forever LOL. While I randomly revisit certain passages, it would require a cover to cover re-read to even hope to identify the passage.

Does anybody know of such a passage? Even if I have potentially misinterpreted what was actually said?

I can't help you but I sure hope someone here knows the verse.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 08:29 PM

Here are the verses I could find about attending church.

Not sure if it helps..

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Bible-Verses-About-Going-To-Church/

Bible verses related to Going To Church from the King James Version (KJV) by Relevance - Sort By Book Order

Hebrews 10:24-25 - And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: (Read More...)

Psalms 150:1 - 127:6 - Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. (Read More...)

Colossians 3:16 - Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

1 Timothy 3:14-15 - These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly: (Read More...)

Matthew 6:5 - And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites [are]: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Psalms 122:1-9 - (A Song of degrees of David.) I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. (Read More...)

1 Corinthians 12:12-22 - For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ. (Read More...)

Acts 2:47 - Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Psalms 150:2 - Praise him for his mighty acts: praise him according to his excellent greatness.

Matthew 18:20 - For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

John 3:16-36 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (Read More...)

Acts 2:38 - Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Isaiah 56:7 - Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices [shall be] accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.

Luke 4:16 - And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Psalms 122:1 - (A Song of degrees of David.) I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.

Psalms 84:10 - For a day in thy courts [is] better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.

2 Timothy 2:15 - Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Romans 12:5 - So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Posted By: red mt

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx

Psalms 19
Then read Roman's 1
But this declaring you are without excuse of not knowing God
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 08:48 PM

I don't always go to Church, but when I do, I usually get more out of it than I thought I would. I've been in a lot of different churches, never saw one where I couldn't receive something from God, even if they people weren't perfect (they never are, cause I'm there) or if I disagreed with some of the sermon. (There are no perfect preachers either. ) Good thing we are not there to pick apart the style of worship or the pastor's faults or the clothes people wear, (or all churches will fail us) but to worship God.
Posted By: red mt

Re: To go to Church or Not? - 06/11/19 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
I don't always go to Church, but when I do, I usually get more out of it than I thought I would. I've been in a lot of different churches, never saw one where I couldn't receive something from God, even if they people weren't perfect (they never are, cause I'm there) or if I disagreed with some of the sermon. (There are no perfect preachers either. ) Good thing we are not there to pick apart the style of worship or the pastor's faults or the clothes people wear, (or all churches will fail us) but to worship God.

Amen
© 2024 Trapperman Forums