Home

Excitment in the back yard today

Posted By: Diamond#21

Excitment in the back yard today - 06/09/19 10:15 PM

Neighbor comes over and says there's a swarm in the back yard, yep he was right. Called a local keeper and he came right over, first of the season for him. Hopefully they will be great producers.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 12:05 AM

I know nothing about bees, but that looks enormous to me.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 01:35 AM

Cool. I bet you made his day.
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 01:41 AM

I sent a local to Syracuse bee keeper a couple today also. He called back later to thank me, and said he had gotten six swarms today.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 01:52 AM

Been a long time since I've seen that.
Posted By: Diamond#21

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 12:15 PM

I'm about 25 miles west of Syracuse Albert, yesterday must have been the day! Keeper was happy, filled a large Rubbermaid tote about 1/3 full and the swarm was only 6 ft off the ground. Nice and easy, cut the branch and acouple shakes and he was done. A wonder of nature for sure, pretty fascinating. Lived in the house 26 years never seen anything like it. Just glad it was not on the house, outbuildings or vehicles. Bee keeper had some cool stories about the calls he's gotten.
Posted By: Ronaround

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 12:22 PM

Bee keeping has come back in a Big way up by us. Its nice to see and good for the environment to boot!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 08:49 PM

Is there a way to tell if the swarm is Africanized before you take it home?
Posted By: bhugo

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/10/19 09:33 PM

Sweet! Cool to see. Unless they are your bees taking off that is....
Posted By: warrior

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/11/19 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by BigBob
Is there a way to tell if the swarm is Africanized before you take it home?

No, but if you're anywhere north of central florida, south texas the desert southwest (lower elevations) and southern california its not a worry.
Apis mellifera scutellata aka savannah bee aka african bee and it's africanized progeny is a tropical subspecies incapable of suriving even the mildest temperate winter.

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/11/19 12:52 AM

The protocol for "field" identification is morphological differences in the veination of the wings and tarsal length of the legs. Confirmation is by mDNA.

Re: Excitment in the back yard today - 06/11/19 12:54 AM

BTW, there are 25 subspecies of the Western Honey Bee all native to the old world. DNA markers from 12 of those have been found in the new world so any bee in the Americas is technically a mutt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums