Home

Ticks

Posted By: MJM

Ticks - 06/10/19 08:08 PM

(CBS News) — There are new concerns about previously rare types of tick-borne diseases being seen more frequently in the United States. The black-legged tick, for example, not only spreads Lyme disease it can also transmit a serious virus called powassan that may have killed one man and made another sick in New Jersey.

CBS News’ Dr. David Agus told “CBS This Morning” part of what’s behind the rise in ticks in parts of the U.S. where they are traditionally found is climate change.

“The weather is changing. Climate is changing and there are more mice, there are more food for the ticks,” he said. “As reforestation happens, as climate change happens, different areas of the country are getting more of these.”

Though there were about 60,000 cases of tick-borne diseases reported last year, Agus estimates that the real number of cases is probably over 300,000.

Some ways you can avoid tick-borne disease when spending time outdoors is to wear deet, tuck your pants into your socks, avoid tall grass, shower immediately after being outside and have someone check your body. If you get one though, time is of the essence, Agus warned.

“Take a straight tweezers, pull straight out and put the tick into alcohol. The quicker you remove it the better, cause it takes time before it can eject its saliva into you. The saliva is what contains the bacteria and the virus,” he said.

While most diseases like Lyme are treatable, there have been two cases of the powassan virus reported in New Jersey. It is not treatable.

“It’s got a 10 percent mortality rate and 50 percent of people who get this virus have permanent neurologic injury. So have someone search you for ticks and pull them off right afterward. Avoid it. Wear deet.”
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 08:13 PM

I don't get the part about putting the tick into alcohol? Should that read clean the tick bite with alcohol?
Posted By: Catch22

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 08:21 PM

Yep, it's definitely climate change lol, idiots.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 08:22 PM

Maybe that's meant to kill the tick and preserve it so it can be tested if need be later on. Wonder if ticks prefer clear alcohol or darker stuff like whiskey?
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by tlguy
Maybe that's meant to kill the tick and preserve it so it can be tested if need be later on. Wonder if ticks prefer clear alcohol or darker stuff like whiskey?

Hopefully, they don't test it with a breathalyzer. wink

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 08:52 PM

I am sure that is to kill the tick. They say you should not squash them due to the fluids being spread. I am saving ticks for the ND health department to test and they give me alcohol pads to kill them in a zip lock bag.
Posted By: jctunnelrat

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 09:08 PM

Found four ticks thus far this year. Never had a tick here for the past 70+ years. 20 miles South of Cleveland, OH in Medina County. My neighbors report ticks also. Our past few Winters have been mild. The coyote population has gone off the chart. IDK.

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 09:18 PM

I have way more ticks than I used to have here at the house. I just got five from the granddaughters, they were out side planting flowers and riding the horse. The kids are not here most the time. But I collect 50-100 tick a week off my wife and I and the dog. We used to get 5 to 10 a year.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 09:26 PM

Caught a beaver with ticks a couple weeks ago.It was loaded with them.Never seen a tick on a beaver in near 50 years trapping them.
Another nuisance beaver trapper also caught one 20 miles west of where I caught the one.Different watershed altogether.He has been trapping beaver for 45 years and this is the first time he has seen a tick on a beaver.
I have seen ticks on rabbits in the spring,and moose some years are loaded with ticks.
Good thing we are outside the area with lime disease.Closest area with confirmed limes is SSM.But I bet it is just a matter of time with the climate changing the way it is.
Posted By: TrapperCarl78

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
I have way more ticks than I used to have here at the house. I just got five from the granddaughters, they were out side planting flowers and riding the horse. The kids are not here most the time. But I collect 50-100 tick a week off my wife and I and the dog. We used to get 5 to 10 a year.

I broadcast Wisdom Flowable on my property. Few times a summer. I get it at Tractor Supply and the main ingredient is Bifen I believe. It really kills em off pretty well.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 09:32 PM

100s on this one and the skunks are covered with them most years also!

[Linked Image]

Re: Ticks - 06/10/19 09:46 PM

There was way more ticks in eastern ND than there was here ten years ago. Now there is more here than there was east of here ten years ago. I have no idea what the tick population is over east now. I don't go over and work there anymore. I feel they have just spread further west. I had days over east where I would pick 100 plus off me and the dog in the evening. I could get in the pickup and find a half dozen with out looking. Most the time around July they are about done here.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 02:11 AM

Hard to figure out the tick.
I am in the woods often here in Wisconsin and have not had one on me this year.
Some years it is not uncommon to have a dozen on you a day.
I am very cautious with them these days as my wife has struggled with Lyme Disease for several years.

Zim

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 02:34 AM

Zim, has your spring been wetter than normal? Ours has been real dry and they seem to be doing well.
Posted By: Rally

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 03:58 AM

Mark,
I believe that is the case here also. Wet years skeeters, dry years tics. Deer flies inbetween.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 08:58 AM

It's been really wet here and I've seen lots of ticks when out turkey hunting.
Posted By: Page

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 12:22 PM

I've started treating all of my clothes w Sawyer's, it's a bit expensive but seems to work really well. Have only found one on me all year.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 01:15 PM

Climate change?
How come northern WI has always had ticks but southern WI never did?.
Been that way for since I was a kid in the '60's.

Now ticks are showing up in the southern 1/2

I've had 2 on me this spring.
1st time I have ever gotten a tick on me in the southern 1/2. I have first seen them on our cat a couple of years ago.
And I'm out in the woods for several hours pretty much every day.

I'm sure there are other reasons for the increase in ticks. But climate change is what the media wants to believe because it fits their narrative of whats wrong with the world.

Journalism died many years ago.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dirty D
Climate change?
How come northern WI has always had ticks but southern WI never did?.
Been that way for since I was a kid in the '60's.

Now ticks are showing up in the southern 1/2

I've had 2 on me this spring.
1st time I have ever gotten a tick on me in the southern 1/2. I have first seen them on our cat a couple of years ago.
And I'm out in the woods for several hours pretty much every day.

I'm sure there are other reasons for the increase in ticks. But climate change is what the media wants to believe because it fits their narrative of whats wrong with the world.

Journalism died many years ago.

part of it may have been the soil types , south east WI is a lot of clay and I tend to find more ticks in sandy soil.

the other part is DDT was in major use on everything years ago and with so much of the southern half of the state in tillable acres it probably all got hit with DDT alot

I am not a big fan of sprays but I have been spraying the yard for mosquitoes the last few years the product also kills ticks.

my outdoor cloths get sprayed with permethrin and I have not come home with a tick since I started doing this about 4 years ago.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Zim, has your spring been wetter than normal? Ours has been real dry and they seem to be doing well.

Yes Mark, we have had abnormal large amounts of precip here, both last fall and this spring.
A lot of snow this past winter also.
Rally, the deer flies are not as bad this year and believe me we have a ton of them usually by this time.
We have had below "normal" temps so far and that is keeping them down?

Zim
Posted By: Teacher

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 02:38 PM

I’m not going to discuss ticks cuz that’s going pretty well. But, I want to pass on some info about disease reporting. You see, what makes national news is literally the tip of a pyramid. At the bottom are all the ticks. First layer up are all the people and animals exposed. Next (but smaller layer) is all who got bitten. Next layer is all those who developed a condition or disease. Next smaller layer are those who went to see a doctor. Next (and it’s getting very small layer) are those where doctor took blood tests and determined what the causitive agent was. And at the top are the samples that went for DNA testing with results to CDC.

So, when you hear that there were some small number of cases of something in your state, and you’re scratching your head thinking, “why are we even worrying about such a small number?” Please consider the top of the pyramid actually represents a much larger number of people who were exposed and might have gotten a mild case that went unreported.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 02:51 PM

Maybe we need less Coyotes and more foxes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/science/ticks-lyme-disease-foxes-martens.html
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 03:13 PM

Ticks are showing up here!
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 04:55 PM

My brother has a disease that basically makes him allergic to mammal meats (red meats). Made his liver shut down. Only fins or feathered stuff now. Got if from a tick bite.
Posted By: run

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher
I’m not going to discuss ticks cuz that’s going pretty well. But, I want to pass on some info about disease reporting. You see, what makes national news is literally the tip of a pyramid. At the bottom are all the ticks. First layer up are all the people and animals exposed. Next (but smaller layer) is all who got bitten. Next layer is all those who developed a condition or disease. Next smaller layer are those who went to see a doctor. Next (and it’s getting very small layer) are those where doctor took blood tests and determined what the causitive agent was. And at the top are the samples that went for DNA testing with results to CDC.

So, when you hear that there were some small number of cases of something in your state, and you’re scratching your head thinking, “why are we even worrying about such a small number?” Please consider the top of the pyramid actually represents a much larger number of people who were exposed and might have gotten a mild case that went unreported.

Nice post, thanks.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Ticks - 06/11/19 08:48 PM

The climate will always change and plant, insect, and animal populations will respond accordingly depending of whether or not the change favors them.

Changing "global warming" to climate change was a stroke of brilliance by the left. When the warming predictions did not come true it looked like they were going to lose traction. With the new name of "climate change," regardless of what change occurs. they can blame it on some behavior or another of mankind and tell others what they should or should not be doing. Their goal all along.

Just keep in mind that it has been warmer in the past than it is now and it has been colder in the past than it is now, but we still have moose, bears, deer, turkeys, elephants and of course ticks.

Hear is another thought for you. The natural environment is always in a state of change, an ebb and flow, as creatures big and small (including bacteria and viruses) evolve. This tends to keep things in balance. Mankind, through our ability to build shelters, grow foodstocks, and combat disease via our technological developments, has created a huge imbalance. We have created a target rich environment in which we are the target.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Ticks - 06/12/19 02:08 PM

I hadn't being feel quite right for the last few months. Went in last week done blood work,EKG,etc all came back fine. Just got a call from the doc that I have Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Guess my mushrooming days are about over.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Ticks - 06/13/19 02:18 PM

When I was a kid we never had ticks. In those days the farmers burned off the swamps and pasture fields each spring to encourage new growth and I think that killed the ticks. All that old growth debris just makes fine tick cover and wintering places. Now we are not allowed to burn anything. Already twice this year I have had forest fire people at my house because they saw the smoke from my firepit cooker/smoker.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Ticks - 06/13/19 02:34 PM

I feel one reason we are seeing more ticks in my area is you don't see many spring burn offs anymore. Too many tree huggers say it pollutes the atmosphere and causes climate change.

Re: Ticks - 06/13/19 11:12 PM

The first two cases of paralysis in horses caused by tick infestation have been reported in the United States.

The cases in American miniature horses are described in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine.

Both horses had been referred together in May last year to the Purdue University Veterinary Teaching Hospital in Indiana.

One, a three‐year‐old filly weighing 93.6kg, had gone down. The owner reported that the horse had experienced 12 hours of difficulty with walking and weakness that progressed to being unable to rise.

The other was a four-year-old mare weighing 108.6kg. She was also suffering from weakness, progressing to recumbency, although was still able to stand unsteadily.

Both horses, who had been bought by the owner nine days earlier from a non-licensed petting zoo, had shown incoordination and weakness 24 hours before referral.

A waterbed for employed for a 3‐year‐old recumbent American Miniature horse presumptively diagnosed with tick paralysis.
A waterbed employed for the three‐year‐old miniature horse presumptively diagnosed with tick paralysis. Photo: Trumpp et al. https://doi.org/10.1111/jvim.15540
Veterinarians checked the animals and found that both had decreased tongue and tail muscle tone, and had normal spinal reflexes.

Cerebrospinal fluid cytology was normal. Testing for equine herpesvirus‐1 proved negative.

However, they found numerous ticks, Dermacentor variabilis, on both horses.

The younger horse had about 150 embedded and engorged ticks, mostly concentrated along the base of the mane and tail.

The older mare had about 100 embedded and engorged ticks, concentrated in the same locations.

The ticks were removed within 24 hours of arrival at the hospital.

Both horses were treated topically with permethrin. Supportive care included fluid therapy, treatment for corneal ulceration, and frequent repositioning during recumbency.

Within 48 hours of tick removal, both horses were neurologically normal.

“Ours is the first reported case of presumptive tick paralysis in horses in North America,” lead authors Kelsey Trumpp and Ashley Parsley, together with their colleagues, reported in the journal.

“Although rare, tick paralysis should be considered in horses presented with acute‐onset weakness progressing to recumbency.”

The authors said further research was needed to learn more about how neurotoxins from Dermacentor tick species affected horses.

Tick paralysis, they noted, is most frequently is reported in dogs. It occurs when an adult female tick attaches to the host and produces salivary neurotoxins that enter the circulatory system of the dog.

These neurotoxins act on presynaptic membranes at the neuromuscular junction and prevent the release of acetylcholine, most commonly resulting in increasing motor paralysis.

The primary tick species implicated in cases of tick paralysis of dogs and cats in North America are Dermacentor andersoni (the Rocky Mountain Wood tick) and D. variabilis (the American Dog tick), whereas tick paralysis in Australia most commonly is caused by Ixodes holocyclus.

“Cases of tick paralysis in large animals have also been reported, but only in Australia,” they noted.

In a retrospective study of 103 horses in Australia with presumptive tick paralysis caused by I. holocyclus, 88% of the horses were recumbent and unable to stand on presentation.

Seventy‐six percent of them were less than a year old, and half were younger than six months old. Thirty-nine percent were miniature horses or ponies.

The case-report team said the two North American horses had also been treated with botulinum antitoxin while in hospital, as botulism had been considered a potential cause of their paralysis.

“However, the rapid improvement in neurologic status observed in these two horses made botulism unlikely because recovery requires regeneration of new motor end plates, which can take up to three weeks.”

“Both horses reported here showed rapid improvement upon tick removal and survived. Neither horse had residual neurologic deficits.

“Given the lack of published reports on tick paralysis in horses in North America, it is likely that horses are relatively resistant to the development of clinical signs.”

The full case-report team comprised Trumpp, Parsley, Melissa Lewis, Joseph Camp Jr and Sandra Taylor, all with Purdue University’s College of Veterinary Medicine.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums