Home

Why are Christians so mean?

Posted By: Mac

Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 09:56 PM

https://redeeminggod.com/10-excuses-christians-give-for-treating-others-badly/
Why are Christians so mean? Here are 10 Excuses Church People Give for Treating Others Badly

Great article
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:02 PM

If they are mean are they really Christians then? If I stand in a garage that does not make me a car! LOL
Posted By: NoraSue

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:07 PM

Those that call themselves Christians and treat people badly, are not living the way Christ taught us to live. We are to treat each other with Love, not judge. I am a Christian, that is to say I accepted God's free gift. I am NOT a church person. I have been a member of two different churches and now semi attend a third. I find that there is nothing that will put people off more than "CHURCH PEOPLE" Organized religion is nothing more that a click. They seem to want to make other people feel bad about themselves. That is not Biblical. Not all Christians treat people badly.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
If they are mean are they really Christians then? If I stand in a garage that does not make me a car! LOL

LOL

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by NoraSue
Those that call themselves Christians and treat people badly, are not living the way Christ taught us to live. We are to treat each other with Love, not judge. I am a Christian, that is to say I accepted God's free gift. I am NOT a church person. I have been a member of two different churches and now semi attend a third. I find that there is nothing that will put people off more than "CHURCH PEOPLE" Organized religion is nothing more that a click. They seem to want to make other people feel bad about themselves. That is not Biblical. Not all Christians treat people badly.

Good post. Actually great post.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:19 PM

So because I go to church I'm mean. Ok then......
Headed there now to do a little fishin'. Vacation Bible School this week. Maybe I'll jack slap a kid or two while I'm there. Lol.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:23 PM

why do some people single out Christians as hypocrites?

hypocrites come in all flavors...it's a nearly universal human condition...yet some only see it in Christians.

if you said to me you've never been hypocritical, I'd bet you're not being honest with yourself...
Posted By: Koss2005

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:26 PM

Mac, what is it exactly that your fishing for? You have four posts speaking of people passing judgement in some form and then you quote scripture about people passing judgement. Almost sounds like that's what you're doing.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:35 PM

Why is anybody mean?

Yes, Christians should know better. But to be honest, everyone should know better.

Mike
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:40 PM

The country gets more hateful by the day. I suppose many Christians do as the country does. Many Christians are neither mean nor hateful. It is easy to find those that are if that's what you want to find.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:44 PM

I don't think they are mean enough. A guy that works where the wife does caught a guy going through his bag at the gym. He beat the crap out of him and the punk pulls a knife and kills him. He should have stomped on the guys throat when he was down and killed the -
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
The country gets more hateful by the day. I suppose many Christians do as the country does. Many Christians are neither mean nor hateful. It is easy to find those that are if that's what you want to find.

Fear of loss makes people cranky.

Mike

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Koss2005
Mac, what is it exactly that your fishing for? You have four posts speaking of people passing judgement in some form and then you quote scripture about people passing judgement. Almost sounds like that's what you're doing.

Really? Just curious about some things and how the masses think

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town
Why is anybody mean?

Yes, Christians should know better. But to be honest, everyone should know better.

Mike

Agreed

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by J Staton
Headed there now to do a little fishin'. Vacation Bible School this week. Maybe I'll jack slap a kid or two while I'm there. Lol.

The article I shared does not say anything about all those that attend a church are mean. You did not read it, correct?
Please stop slapping children. It is not nice. Hopefully the LOL means you are kidding. But in my life time I have seen some Christians beat the tar out of their kids.
Posted By: red mt

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:16 PM

Well 62% of Americans claim to be Christian's
The fast growing religion in America is Islam or Muslim at 3.25 growth rate a year.

Sad to see ,to hear about, .
Mac the article you posted has merit ,,, thank you for posting it.
A reminder to be a doer of the word and not hearers only. Is always good.
Thank you
Posted By: w side rd 151

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:36 PM

We are all capable of being mean. And we all fail to what we know is right I t is not always about our religion. But is our human nature that we are born into this world with to do what we know we should not do
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:36 PM

Iv never met a mean Christian,
But I know a lot of unsaved Christian Haters..
Jesus said we will be Hated for His name sake...
Christian’s are the most hated people in the world ,
Posted By: brianmall

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:42 PM

Lol

More like pride.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by w side rd 151
We are all capable of being mean. And we all fail to what we know is right I t is not always about our religion. But is our human nature that we are born into this world with to do what we know we should not do

Truth right there. We all have fallen short and we all will make mistakes going forward
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/10/19 11:48 PM

politicians and tax collectors are the most hated people in the world.

Christians remind me of charlie brown a lot. "why is everybody always pickin on me"

the meanness comes from a false sense of superiority. its that false sense of superiority that they use to justify telling everybody else how to live and who is worthy of worshipping their god

Posted By: boncoon

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 12:10 AM

Just because you're a Christian doesn't you will live a perfect life, you will do and say things that you regret.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 12:49 AM

I think a lot of it for me boils down to the fact that many believe that "religion? which ever type or flavor you choose gets in the way of "spirituality". One is made made and the other God made.

The fact that we are born sinners does not mean we need to enroll in "how to be better sinners" or other advanced courses in hate and division.

Bryce
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by bblwi
I think a lot of it for me boils down to the fact that many believe that "religion? which ever type or flavor you choose gets in the way of "spirituality". One is made made and the other God made.

The fact that we are born sinners does not mean we need to enroll in "how to be better sinners" or other advanced courses in hate and division.

Bryce

Could it be that Cristians are born sinners because they believe it because the bible says so ?? As an atheist I don't think I am a born sinner.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:27 AM

According to the Bible, true Christians are the "saved" and going to Heaven who've accepted Christ as their savior.
If they TRULY did that, it changes them, in a Godly, good way. Because now Christ's Spirit has come into our lives/hearts/minds and "tends" to change our lives forever.
THOSE folks aren't usually mean, because they are now patient, compassionate, caring, etc.
Saved Christians are NOT PERFECT, only Jesus Christ was sinless and perfect.
But the saved can "backslide" of course.
The saved are NO BETTER than anyone else, only going to heaven when we die.

Societies definition of "Christian" varies greatly, and does NOT follow the Bible, and tends to start with "believing in God", etc, etc. but does NOT require Salvation, accepting the Holy Spirit into our soul.
I'd wager THOSE "Christians" are the mean ones since they are not saved...and thus NOT truly Christians.

"Christian" translates to "Christ like" to begin with so a "mean" Christian is actually an oxymoron....and although not impossible, fairly improbable.

I have been saved nearly 30 yrs and have never known a "mean" Christian...…..BUT, I've certainly known "mean" un-saved folks who claimed to be Christians.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:33 AM

My point is that one can be Patient, compassionate, caring, etc. Without being a Christian or have any affiliation with religions or gods as a whole.
Posted By: Iowagian

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:47 AM

Is there something un Christian about being mean? Jesus could be pretty darn mean when he needed to be! Some people are just jackweeds and deserve to be treated as such.
Posted By: Honeydog

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:57 AM

What exactly is this meaness ? When I as a Christian say to a lbgtq person " I love you but I don't agree with your lifestyle " , the LGBT community goes ballistic and calls me mean and a hater. When I speak out against abortion, I'm accused of hating women. The hate is coming from the other side. I honestly don't hate anyone. The left is all for everyone being and saying anything UNLESS ... they you don't agree with them.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
My point is that one can be Patient, compassionate, caring, etc. Without being a Christian or have any affiliation with religions or gods as a whole.

absolutely

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 02:02 AM

I wouldn't worry about it honey dog. if a queer shows up in a tou tou at a pot luck Baptist dinner he will get told off too. if an abortion rights advocate goes to a catholic ice cream social and tells the high school girls there abortion is not murder its the removal of cells only, she might get tarred and feathered.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 02:04 AM

Originally Posted by Honeydog
What exactly is this meaness ? When I as a Christian say to a lbgtq person " I love you but I don't agree with your lifestyle " , the LGBT community goes ballistic and calls me mean and a hater. When I speak out against abortion, I'm accused of hating women. The hate is coming from the other side. I honestly don't hate anyone. The left is all for everyone being and saying anything UNLESS ... they you don't agree with them.

true, and the Bible says Christians will be hated and chastised, etc...…..so all that fulfills scripture.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Mac
Originally Posted by J Staton

The article I shared does not say anything about all those that attend a church are mean. You did not read it, correct?
Please stop slapping children. It is not nice. Hopefully the LOL means you are kidding. But in my life time I have seen some Christians beat the tar out of their kids.

Wasn't referring to my kids but the kids attending VBS....and yes I was kidding.
Someone posted about " church people" and I thought they were implying these people were mean.
As far as judgmental goes, the Word is judgmental enough for me personally and am glad it is. Being a sinner just like every one else I'm in no place to judge, I'll leave that to the good Lord. To advise or scold my brother's and sister's in Christ when needed, I have no problem with. I also expect them to do the same for me when I step out of line.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I wouldn't worry about it honey dog. if a queer shows up in a tou tou at a pot luck Baptist dinner he will get told off too. if an abortion rights advocate goes to a catholic ice cream social and tells the high school girls there abortion is not murder its the removal of cells only, she might get tarred and feathered.
Only if the guy in the tou tou doesn't bring a dish.
Posted By: canebrake

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
According to the Bible, true Christians are the "saved" and going to Heaven who've accepted Christ as their savior.
If they TRULY did that, it changes them, in a Godly, good way. Because now Christ's Spirit has come into our lives/hearts/minds and "tends" to change our lives forever.
THOSE folks aren't usually mean, because they are now patient, compassionate, caring, etc.

Societies definition of "Christian" varies greatly, and does NOT follow the Bible, and tends to start with "believing in God", etc, etc. but does NOT require Salvation, accepting the Holy Spirit into our soul.
I'd wager THOSE "Christians" are the mean ones since they are not saved...and thus NOT truly Christians.

"Christian" translates to "Christ like" to begin with so a "mean" Christian is actually an oxymoron....and although not impossible, fairly improbable.

I have been saved nearly 30 yrs and have never known a "mean" Christian...…..BUT, I've certainly known "mean" un-saved folks who claimed to be Christians.

True believers can be "mean" and commit every sin that a lost person can and it's totally impossible to know whether a person is saved or lost because of his behavior. The NT is full of warnings and examples of Christians doing bad things. When a person believes in Christ they still have the fleshly sinful nature and will have it until the day they die. The choice is theirs whether to live in the flesh or the Spirit. Just remember that living in the flesh has consequences and disobedient children receive chastening.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 03:04 AM

Christians remind me of charlie brown a lot. "why is everybody always pickin on me"

the meanness comes from a false sense of superiority. its that false sense of superiority that they use to justify telling everybody else how to live and who is worthy of worshipping their god

I've witnessed this one too many times..

I think most everything we humans tend to argue about (that turn into hate thanks to tribalistic mindsets) are just distractions.. so that the big men w the money can go on doing their thing without having to worry about the little poor men standing up to him. That's just me though.

Do good, be good, and treat people good & you'll be alright LOL.. Though I suppose "good" is relative
Posted By: Rick Otts

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 03:10 AM

Any time someone says they are a Christian a little red light goes off in my head.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 04:07 AM

As the agnostic said to the atheist I admire your faith

Bryce
Posted By: rendezvous

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 10:51 AM

I'm a Christian, I'm not a "mean" person at all...

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 11:23 AM

Mac I read your article and I urge you not to follow the teachings of this author. In the book he is advertising, "What Is He--", it states in the information about the book, "How you can rescue people who are in he--." This clearly is false doctrine with no biblical backing. Not judging, just stating the Truth in the bible.
Have a good day.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 11:46 AM

Bingo. As long as christians think that everyone who does not worship their god is " lost " and has to be shown the "right way", "or saved" etc. the so called meanness will prevail.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 11:59 AM

We are called to be salt and light to the world. But the flesh rebels.
Paul wrote much of the NT to believers in the first century who were themselves "back-sliding" and so it goes.
We wish it were a light switch "off-on" process but it's not.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn

Could not agree more.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 12:39 PM

I'm not sure what the OP calls mean, but I know many people that go to church every Sunday, and would not be role models. I know everyone sins but if you call yourself a Christian you need to change your bad ways. Not so sure that is true for a lot of church goers.

I seen this at a church I was going too, where they were mostly concerned about membership and the collection plate. The pastor there used his title to act like God himself. Instead of working with people to come to church, he used threats that might scare you to come to church. His style wasn't for me and was to most their best friend, but it was a show, to bring people through the doors of that church. To me that was mean.
Posted By: tbn

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 12:39 PM

Let me get this straight. It is mean and not Christian like to call out or bring to light those that are dishonest or a crook? Correct?
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 12:40 PM

What standard are you using to call someone mean? I get so sick of hearing Christians are not to judge. That is from the deceiver. Please show me scripture. Then I will show you the book of Judges and scripture such as judge not lest you be judged. As a Christian, I am to hold my brothers accountable. Some of you need not lean on your own understanding.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by snowy
I'm not sure what the OP calls mean, but I know many people that go to church every Sunday, and would not be role models. I know everyone sins but if you call yourself a Christian you need to change your bad ways. Not so sure that is true for a lot of church goers.

If you were to poll pastors/preachers, I'd wager they would say less than half the folks taking up space in the pews are truly regenerate. It's the nature of the beast.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:03 PM

The last time I was in church the preacher was preaching about how the US had no business telling Saddam Hussein he shouldn't have nuclear weapons. At the time, there were 3 church members serving in the military stationed in Iraq. I left and never went back.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:47 PM

I don't know that Christians are any meaner than anyone else, on average. I know that most of the ones I know are anything but mean. Sometimes we have misunderstandings within the church (and I don't necessarily mean within just one denomination but the body of believers) Sometimes we get a little ticked at each other over stupid stuff, but honestly in the world at large, I see that a lot more mean non believers. Generally true Christians aren't cheating on their wives or swindling people out of money, or just being truly mean to non believers. Just because someone uses the name of Christ says nothing about who they really are. Grace is a free gift, but here's the thing: We do not know who has really accepted it. We do not really know whether a person who claims to be a believer is. The Book say the love of MOST will grow cold. Most, not a few. Fortunately we are not responsible for what another professing believer does, only for what we do. I better stop before I go into full blown preacher mode.
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 01:59 PM

Bingo. As long as christians think that everyone who does not worship their god is " lost " and has to be shown the "right way", "or saved" etc. the so called meanness will prevail.
At least the pope hasn't beheaded them in the town square. Lately, anyway.
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 03:50 PM

Well Mac- what's going on?
Posted By: Preacherman Les

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 04:45 PM

There has only been one perfect man to walk on the earth. The world couldn't wait to kill him and have him gone.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog

Just like going to church doesn't necessarily make you a Christian either.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 08:56 PM

At least Christians don't kill you for not being a Christian.

I know a lot of Christians who behave like Christians should; give to the poor, go out of their way to help people, etc. But, those who are experts at criticizing people they hate only seek out the bad in people, particularly those professing to be Christians. Those are the ones with the real meanness living in them.
Posted By: scheide

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 10:36 PM

Too many phoney "Christians" around here for me. They all go to church on sundays, because it makes them look good and lie, cheat and screw everyone 6 days a week. It is so obvious, it just makes me sick. Around here if someone announces they are a "Christian", they are usually hiding something. Too many lies, and phoniesss for me to handle, so I do my own thing, and avoid them. I know what I believe, and that is all that matters.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

Yes it got a bit out of hand and these days it is frowned upon and in most places even illegal

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/11/19 11:21 PM

I encounter a lot of anger when I tell people I don't believe what is written in the bible.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 01:17 AM

I encounter a lot of anger when I tell people I don't believe what is written in the bible.

I used to as well. Not anymore though. My PC gland is on the fritz and now I am apparently intimidating on that subject, so they leave me alone.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 01:59 AM

they leave me alone.

it would be nice if non-Christians extended the same courtesy.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 02:07 AM

non christians come to your door proselytizing?

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 02:11 AM

non christians come to your door proselytizing?

perhaps not.

but let a Christian thread come up on this site and watch the bashers come rushing out.

why not just ignore the thread if you don't believe?

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 03:50 AM

Good point Marlin

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 04:35 AM

As a true believer, I live by the adage to treat others as I would like to be treated. Some don't respond that way, I don't lose any sleep over it. Remember Who said if they hate Me they will hate you.
We are seeing more of this each day.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bleeohio
As a true believer, I live by the adage to treat others as I would like to be treated. Some don't respond that way, I don't lose any sleep over it. Remember Who said if they hate Me they will hate you.
We are seeing more of this each day.

Your last two sentences proved my point.
Amen, brother.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
What standard are you using to call someone mean? I get so sick of hearing Christians are not to judge. That is from the deceiver. Please show me scripture. Then I will show you the book of Judges and scripture such as judge not lest you be judged. As a Christian, I am to hold my brothers accountable. Some of you need not lean on your own understanding.

The Christian-haters like to use that scripture. It's probably one of the only ones they care to be familiar with. "Judge not, lest you be judged yourself." Matthew 7:1 They only quote the first part and avoid the second part. "For as you judge, so shall you be judged". In other words, if you are just as guilty, you aren't capable of judgment.

Re: Why are Christians so mean? - 06/12/19 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

Yes it got a bit out of hand and these days it is frowned upon and in most places even illegal

You might want to explain that to the believers of Islam sometime. They don't frown on murder or even consider it illegal as long as it's Christians they're killing for refusing to submit to their religion.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums