Home

You Canadians better buy your plastic products now

Posted By: KeithC

You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 10:10 PM

trudeau, to supposedly help the Canadian middle class according to him, is making single use plastic products illegal.

Keith
Posted By: Boco

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 10:16 PM

Good,plastic is polluting the earth.
Posted By: cat catcher

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 10:36 PM

His days are numbered!
Posted By: white marlin

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Boco

we went "plastic" to save the Earth; more specifically, trees.

problem was, politicians didn't understand that they really weren't saving trees....they were being cut and left on the ground.

so now, we're banning plastic to save the earth...guess we'll start hauling pulp back in to the mills...

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 10:47 PM

People need to start using biodegradeable renewables or the earth will soon be a large trash dump.
I went to the Dominican R a couple years ago.The resorts were real nice,but the rest of the country looked like a garbage dump from all the plastic and garbage thrown around.
I think it is a problem that should be addressed.There are places where plastic is needed but there are lots,like the single use stuff that could be replaced with renewables,and the rest recycled.
We have turned into a throw away society for the sake of convenience and that is really sad.
I got no problem getting rid of single use plastic articles.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 10:55 PM

we WERE using renewables, until the bonehead "environmentalists" stopped us!

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 10:57 PM

Who are these environmentalists that espouse the use of plastic?
We as trappers are the front line environmentalists and I have never liked seeing plastic trash in the bush.
Often the trappers councils will go out a couple times a year to clean up trash left in the bush by human pigs.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:00 PM

maybe you weren't around in the seventies and eighties, but paper bags were EVERYWHERE, until the self-appointed environmentalists decided to "save the earth by saving a tree".
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:11 PM

[quote=white marlin]maybe you weren't around in the seventies and eighties, but paper bags were EVERYWHERE, until the self-appointed environmentalists decided to "save the earth by saving a tree".[/quot

Probably convinced to do so by those who stood to profit from the plastic sells.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:12 PM

Yep. We should be cutting way back on single use plastics.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by gryhkl
[quote=white marlin]maybe you weren't around in the seventies and eighties, but paper bags were EVERYWHERE, until the self-appointed environmentalists decided to "save the earth by saving a tree".[/quot

Probably convinced to do so by those who stood to profit from the plastic sells.

all I remember is the stated purpose of the "do-gooders" was to save the earth...sounds kinda familiar, doesn't it?

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:21 PM

Filling the ocean full of garbage is far from saving the earth.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:24 PM

Maybe we should return to the days before the clean air and water act? Nixon was a real "do-gooder" for signing that thing. If trump is reelected he could very well roll things back.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:48 PM

People don’t know that plastic burns?

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/10/19 11:56 PM

not sure if you're being purposefully obtuse or not...

but when we LISTENED to those who claimed to care about the environment, we ended up filling the oceans with plastic.

why did we listen to them in the FIRST place?
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by white marlin
maybe you weren't around in the seventies and eighties, but paper bags were EVERYWHERE, until the self-appointed environmentalists decided to "save the earth by saving a tree".

Yep.

And I would actually prefer to go back to brown paper bags. They degrade quickly and have the added benefit of being used to start a fire in the wood burner.

Mike
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 01:46 AM

Who are these environmentalists that espouse the use of plastic?
We as trappers are the front line environmentalists and I have never liked seeing plastic trash in the bush.
Often the trappers councils will go out a couple times a year to clean up trash left in the bush by human pigs.

Look no further than the people that are promoting "FAUX" fur, I'll assume that everyone on this thread is on top of things enough to know what that is made of. Maybe they want another "Island" floating around out at sea.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 02:40 AM

Your talking about antis-they are far from environmentalists.
Like I stated,trappers are the front line conservationists/environmentalists.We are the eyes and ears in the bush and are the first to see when things go south.
If you think antis are environmentalists your out to lunch.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 02:52 AM

Look at all the micro-plastics that are everywhere and in everything, including your fish you eat.
That fleece jacket when you wash it..................where did all the cotton go !
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 03:18 AM

Saving trees was the line they fed us, heck it's a renewable resource whacking mature trees is better for wildlife then leaving them up. If they could get by on less trees they would not hold the lands they have now I would think.
Posted By: adam m

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 03:41 AM

I used to like paper bags growing up now they are pure junk. I reuse most of the plastic grocery bags.

Everytime I hear banning single use plastics it's always straws and grocery bags never soft drink and water bottles, never plastic packaging etc... when I see pics of dirty beaches the majority of the trash is plastic bottles.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 10:30 AM

What I love is that plastic straws are being banned, but the paper straws they recommend come individually wrapped in plastic...

What gets me is that plastic generally is inert. As in yes, it looks horrible, but no one's kids are being born deformed because there is a chip bag beside the highway, birds shells aren't too brittle, and it isn't poisoning our drinking water. It's just there. It just exists.

I hate seeing litter in the bush as much as anyone, but is Canada banning drinking straws really helping out developing nation's whose only really problem is that they lack the infrastructure to dispose of their waste properly?

Sure, ban plastics. Fine with me, but I simply don't see single use plastics as being CANADAS biggest issue at the moment. Another feel good grab for votes by a prime minister who has largely failed Canadians and is at risk of losing the upcoming election.

Most of what he does is smoke and mirrors, let's look past this "good deed" shall we, and recall why wenare voting him out in October.
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 10:57 AM

I wish the whole world would ban plastics. So sad to see that the stomach contents of many shore birds are sometimes more than half plastic.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 12:29 PM

Thank goodness. I fully embrace the proposed change. Single use plastics are absolutely horrible for the earth. Call me bat (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) crazy but I actually care more about my grandkids having a decent place to raise their kids than I do about having a plastic straw to stir my rye and coke.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 01:26 PM

And where does most of that plastic in the oceans come from?
it isn't North American.

86% from Asia

If environmentalists were really concerned about the problem they would be all over Asian countries to clean up their act.

I have no problem with us cutting back on single source plastic but don't be fooled into thinking it will matter in the end.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 02:01 PM

need to start the moment

go green wear fur!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 02:04 PM

Years ago NYC had garbage barges I wonder where those loads ended up?
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 03:22 PM

Single use plastic is the epitome of wastefulness. Fill up yer water jug and go to work.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

Really ?

Apparently (SOME) people don't know that burning plastics releases a whole host of toxic gases and carcinogens into the atmosphere where they do far more damage than unsightly litter in the Canadian Bush.

Just Ignorance, but very costly Ignorance.

w

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 04:26 PM

Walleyed,dont you just love a whif of burnt plastic from the morning campfire?

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by walleyed

Really ?

Apparently (SOME) people don't know that burning plastics releases a whole host of toxic gases and carcinogens into the atmosphere where they do far more damage than unsightly litter in the Canadian Bush.

Just Ignorance, but very costly Ignorance.

w

So. People smoke cigarettes all the time. Not just one or a couple people here and there. Tons and tons of people. No one cares about that. But burn a plastic straw and look at you throw a fit!
Posted By: trapper les

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 06:38 PM

I burn about anything that will bun, just to gain the caloric value. So...it is really a double use plastic. My barrel stove aint picky. And my garden loves the ashes.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 06:42 PM

So....you'd better ban plastics, or I'll burn them, lol.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 08:55 PM

So. People smoke cigarettes all the time. Not just one or a couple people here and there. Tons and tons of people. No one cares about that. But burn a plastic straw and look at you throw a fit!

Whose throwing a fit ?

Simply pointing out that burning plastics causes more environmental damage

than does plastic litter as well as serious health risks through toxic bio-accumulation

in human tissue and internal organs related to back yard burn barrels.

BTW, I'm also of the opinion that people that smoke cigarettes in spite of the

well known health risks are foolish as well but that's another story.

Smoke away and stoke that burn barrel with plastic. Carry On !! laugh

w

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 08:58 PM

You probably don’t mind sitting beside someone smoking. I burn garbage only with a north wind. laugh

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 08:59 PM

Walleyed,dont you just love a whif of burnt plastic in the morning ?

BOCO,

I believe the quote was: "I love the smell of NAPALM in the morning, smells like victory."

w
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/11/19 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mike in A-town

Yep.

And I would actually prefer to go back to brown paper bags. They degrade quickly and have the added benefit of being used to start a fire in the wood burner.

Mike

Here on Hilton Head we are back to brown paper bags and no single use plastic. If you buy cold stuff or it rains those bags bio degrade before ya even get back to the truck ..... great stuff.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/12/19 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Years ago NYC had garbage barges I wonder where those loads ended up?

When I worked on the fishing boats out of Sheepshead Bay NY back in the early 1980s, we'd see them all the time - even old subway cars were dumped into the ocean off shore !!
Supposedly those were to make reefs, I could find out to see if that ever worked out as I still have a contact in the old Bay area.......

But the garbage barges, I seem to recall they went out past the Ambrose light tower and God knows where from there.

I remember seeing the one in the late 1980s that NOBODY wanted to take it's garbage from, that barge spent time in the Narrows Bay because even NY did not want it back, but eventually all the trash was incinerated in Brooklyn, and all the ash sent back to Islp - where it originally originated from.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/12/19 05:27 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I am failing miserably - when I closed down my 3 Facebook pages, 4000 pictures documenting close to 10 solid years work of my volunteer work vanished without a trace....
I know I had [past tense....] lots of pictures of plastic bags being retrieved from this area, you'll just have to take my word for it.

I for one am glad to see these single use bags get banned.

Somewhere I have a picture saved [I hope !!] of some kind of waterfowl which got tangled in a bag and died.
It was all decomposed so hard to say what it was - maybe snowy egret ??

That's the part that sucks the most - how the wildlife has to deal with mankind's lust to pollute........

I have loads of entanglement pictures from fishing line, but only saw one from a plastic bag where a waterfowl got all wrapped up and died.

Would be nice if they had laws against polluting, but they don't and the ones they have completely un-enforcable....

Wish I could go back to Germany, it was so clean over there..........
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/12/19 07:32 AM

We had those white shopping bags hanging on the bushes in a five mile square around the village. They outnumbered the seagulls here. I suggested to a few council members that they should be banned. Sure enough they did it. No more bags hanging in the trees and bushes no more. Sure looks a lot better. Even the landfill.
Posted By: gibb

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/12/19 08:21 AM

I don't agree with much our federal government has been doing but the sooner they ban that stuff the better. Plastic will be the end of us, it is crazy how it is accumulating in the environment.
I stopped buying bottled water because of the impact it is having, that crap is everywhere.
Posted By: one toe

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/13/19 01:31 PM

What will it look like with no garbage bags? How will the medical community adjust to an elimination of single use plastics?
Posted By: old243

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/13/19 01:42 PM

Good to see the end of at least some of the plastic waste. Not sure how fast food restaurants will do. Our take out used to be on paper packages, wooden spoons and wooden stir sticks, Remember , wooden popsicle sticks.. I use about a case of bottled water a year. , save and refill , from the tap.. Use them to start the wood stove , when done with them, They were made from gas and oil. Better than pitching them in the garbage.. old243
Posted By: Rat Masterson

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/13/19 01:43 PM

Some people will be back to boiling water, there is a alot of places I would not drink out of the tap.

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/13/19 02:52 PM

I grew up in a time when plastic was not insidious in the environment.
We got along just fine with glass,tin and paper.
Used to buy a bottle of coke for 12 cents and get 2 cents back on the bottle.Some people threw bottles away,but they were picked up by kids and turned in for the refund so they didn't remain as waste and got re cycled.This model could work with plastic.
Now the idiots charge you 5 cents for a plastic bag at the grocery store,and don't give you your nickle back if you turn it back in.Do you think that nickel goes anywhere but in some fat cats pocket and to (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) with the environment.Same with stupid carbon taxes-they don't do shat for the environment just line some fat cats pocket.If they gave a nickle for every plastic bag returned(that they already charged you for)there would be no plastic left anywhere and likely most of the homeless would have more money to spend.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: You Canadians better buy your plastic products now - 06/14/19 01:01 AM

I never understood why they did away with refundable soda bottles, closed down glass plants and put everything in plastic bottles. Now, we will just go back to glass, I guess?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums