Home

49 year old toaster biting the dust

Posted By: beeman

49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 11:02 AM

My 49 year old toaster is on its final days and I need a recommendation for a new one. The toaster that we have is able to toast the outside of the piece of bread quickly enough without drying it throughout.

This is probably silly to some but I hate dried out toast that won't melt butter. Anybody have a recommendation?
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 11:12 AM

Go go a Goodwill type store and look for an old model.
Posted By: k snow

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 11:17 AM

Being an older unit, is there any way to repair it? That was made back when stuff wasn't throw away.
Posted By: EdP

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 11:27 AM

Haven't had a good toaster since the one I inherited from my grandma died 30+ years ago.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 11:41 AM

I still use one my mother had. It is a Sunbeam model B patented jan. 30 1923. There are eight coils of wires that have been red hot zillions of times. I think it will outlast me!

Jim
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 11:53 AM

I am pretty sure it can be repaired. You can buy the resistor wire on rolls and re wire the thing. Those old ones are screwed together so you can take them apart and give the internals a good dose of looking at to see what's up with it. DO NOT throw it away.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 12:00 PM

Thats a long time all right...I'd look at thrift stores or buy a New 4 slicer at -almart grin
Posted By: beeman

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by k snow
Being an older unit, is there any way to repair it? That was made back when stuff wasn't throw away.

I should have mentioned that the trouble I am having is that it does not want to pop the toast up when it finishes but makes a racket until you manually lift the toast. I have replaced the cord a couple of times. The fiber that lines the interior is disintegrating. This is a Proctor Silex.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 12:58 PM

Mine doesn't pop up you have to manually turn it and also watch it so it doesn't burn. Jim
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by james dymond
Mine doesn't pop up you have to manually turn it and also watch it so it doesn't burn. Jim

laugh
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 01:59 PM

Most new ones are junk the last one we picked up the setting numbers wiped off when we ran a rag over it, it has a lip that keeps the toast from popping all of the way up also. Like most China junk it's minimal efficiency at it's best.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 02:02 PM

You could always spend the coin on a decent one. You get what you pay for more often then not. Or...you could just use a fool proof stove top toaster.
Posted By: Zim

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 02:08 PM

At the camp we go to in Canada they still have the ones that hold 4 pieces of bread.
The difference is you have to place the outfit on a woodstove and turn them occasionally.

Zim
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 03:20 PM

Long as you can light a cigarette on the new one, buy it
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: 49 year old toaster biting the dust - 06/11/19 04:17 PM

I cant help you out, I didn't know …...not all toasters toast the same.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums