Home

I want the truth.

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

I want the truth. - 06/12/19 12:35 PM

Visited a friend at rehab last night and the therapist, (middle eastern) began asking questions about farming. She asked about how and when things are planted. She then remarked about how she learned that Native Americans taught the settlers how to grow vegetables for Thanksgiving.

My question is, were there no vegetables in England prior to the 1500s?
Posted By: chas3457

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 12:45 PM

No corn or tomatoes, maybe squash, either. 'New World' plants. smile

Charlie
Posted By: run

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 12:50 PM

Nice thread.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457

Charlie

Thanks Charlie. Didn't realize that.

Pretty sure they had swine and chickens, what did they feed them instead of corn?

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by run
Nice thread.

Thank you.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:05 PM

Charlie

pretty sure the bible taks about corn ..

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:05 PM

Europe had small grains. Wheat, Barley, Rye, Flax, etc.

Maize, or what we call 'corn' came from The Americas.

Charlie
Posted By: k snow

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:08 PM

Many of the first world settlers weren't exactly the type of people most suited to frontier life. Many were town/city people fleeing persecution, hired labor, indentured servants, rich sponsors, etc. Not a wealth of knowledge on how to survive in a foreign environment.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:11 PM

The Bible means wheat when it says corn. Do some research.
Posted By: DaYooper14

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:11 PM

Small grains; Wheat, Barley, Rye,

Charlie

+
turnip, clover, cabbage, onion, peas, beans. also apple/cherry trees.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by run

doesnt it say its ok to eat ear corn from any field .... maybe it means a ear of wheat...lol

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar
Originally Posted by run

doesnt it say its ok to eat ear corn from any field .... maybe it means a ear of wheat...lol

Yes, this.

Charlie
Posted By: tjm

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:21 PM

Corn refers to barley, rye, wheat- what we call corn is properly maize.
Most of the foods we eat are American in origin, tomato, potato, beans, maize, sweet potato, peanuts, peppers, avocados, cranberries, black raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, elderberries, huckleberries, papayas, pawpaws, passionfruit, pineapples, red raspberries, strawberries, squashes and more were unknown in the old world.
iirc they did have beets, turnips and onions.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:31 PM

Matthew 12:1 King James Version. (Not sure what year Of Translation)

At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.
Posted By: adam m

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:32 PM

Charlie

Corn, squash, beans were typically grown together and known as 3 sisters. The sisters plants are still grown together.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:33 PM

No swine here, South America had the auracana chicken.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:37 PM

Corn, in Europe, is a catch all term for grains. What we know as corn here in the States is maize.
Posted By: warrior

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:41 PM

History vegetables is interesting.

Crops native to the americas are tomatoes, "irish" potatoes, corn/maize, true squashes/pumpkins, butter/lima beans, common bush/pole beans, chilis/peppers of all types, tobacco and peanuts.

Many others that we eat today were "available" to Europe but we're either not adopted yet or developed to current status. For instance both field peas and okra as well as true yams were in Africa as were watermelons. Only watermelons had mad their way to Europe. Field peas and okra came through the americas as part of the slave trade prior to going to Europe.

Strangly though many new world crops were already in Europe, via Spain, prior to the English colonization of North America. Yet in the century plus between Columbus and Jamestown few if any had gained widespread use.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:44 PM

corn noun
\ ˈkȯrn
\
Definition of corn

1 chiefly dialectal : a small hard particle : grain
2 : a small hard seed —usually used in combination peppercornbarleycorn
3 British : the grain of a cereal grass that is the primary crop of a region (such as wheat in Britain and oats in Scotland and Ireland) also : a plant that produces corn

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 01:45 PM

maize
[māz]
NOUN
BRITISH

a Central American cereal plant that yields large grains set in rows on a cob; corn.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 03:33 PM

Hogs also ate several root type crops and other food waste in addition to the small grains and brassica type plants. Cattle ate those as well, but were mostly grass fed. Eastern Native Americans did not have horses or livestock.
Small cool season grains were well adapted to the northern, moist, cooler eastern region.

Bryce
Posted By: Catch22

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 03:47 PM

You want the truth, well........ grin

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 03:55 PM

I’m good with it. Just curious what they ate at the theatre in London. Lol

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

You probably don't want to know, lol.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 07:54 PM

Matthew 12:1 King James Version. (Not sure what year Of Translation)

At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

I have a copy of the Vulgate Edition which is earlier than the KJV. It says the same thing nearly word for word. Interesting......
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by warrior

You probably don't want to know, lol.

Yeah...that aged goose sounds delightful. By aged it meant that you had hung it by the necj till the body fell away, then it was "ready" to eat. British food is so fun.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 08:01 PM

. Eastern Native Americans did not have horses
No Americans had horses prior to contact, like barleycorn horses were an EU product.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 08:04 PM

Turkeys were domesticated in the new world, along with alpacas llamas. Agriculture provides a more stable food supply but also more labor. In the old world bread was and is the staff of life, wheat comes from the Middle East. The new world also gave us syphilis, thanks for the blankets!

Re: I want the truth. - 06/12/19 09:04 PM

[quote=tomahawker]Turkeys were domesticated in the new world, along with alpacas llamas. Agriculture provides a more stable food supply but also more labor. In the old world bread was and is the staff of life, wheat comes from the Middle East. The new world also gave us syphilis, thanks for the blankets![/quote]

You don't get that from blankets. It's what you do in the blankets. shocked eek

Charlie
Posted By: waggler

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 12:53 AM

I really don't know what people in the old world used to eat before the discovery of America.
No potatoes, beans, corn, squash; how did Europeans survive?

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 01:03 AM

Barley, oats, wheat, cabbage, colewart (collards), rutabega, turnips, melons, cucumbers, lettuce, peas, lentils, broad beans, apples, pears, peaches (from China via the Persians), cherries, damsons, mirabelles.
Pork, beef, mutton (all missing from the americas), venison, chicken, goose, duck, peacock, swan.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 01:04 AM

ale, lager, mead, wine, whisky all missing from the americas
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 02:31 AM

k snow gets the A from this history teacher.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by tjm
. Eastern Native Americans did not have horses
No Americans had horses prior to contact, like barleycorn horses were an EU product.

There were horses in North, Central and South America when the people whose descendants became Native American first arrived. They chose to eat the horses rather than domesticate them though. The archaeological evidence appears to show that they ate horses and many other large mammals into extinction. There were probably some climate changes that helped with the extinctions of most of the large mammals.

Keith
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 04:55 AM

I like this thread.. wish there was some sort of plant history class I could take.. Ethnobotany is the closest thing I can imagine having this info.. too bad I hadn't taken the pre-req.

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyTime
k snow gets the A from this history teacher.

Having a BA in Anthropology and American Indian Studies may have tipped the scales a tad bit.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 11:53 AM

[quote=tomahawker]Turkeys were domesticated in the new world, along with alpacas llamas. Agriculture provides a more stable food supply but also more labor. In the old world bread was and is the staff of life, wheat comes from the Middle East. The new world also gave us syphilis, thanks for the blankets![/quote]

You don't get that from blankets. It's what you do in the blankets. shocked eek

Charlie

Sarcasm- in return for the smallpox blankets they gave us syphilis. Keep up Charlie

Re: I want the truth. - 06/13/19 12:30 PM

Ttt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums