Home

Sidewalk Wolf Prints

Posted By: Gulo

Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/12/19 11:41 PM

I'm not a cement guy. I'm not really a sidewalk guy either. On the other hand, I was looking for something to make the snow shoveling easier in the winter and less maintenance in the long run. Got a couple of neighbors together today and poured a 80-foot sidewalk. Spent a couple of hours carving out a 'form' with a dremel tool from a chunk of walnut. Wanted something subtle on the walkway and thought a few of you might enjoy the pour. You gotta look real close...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Jack
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 12:03 AM

Very creative!! I like it.You need a small brush on the inside of that curve for a p post
Posted By: white17

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 02:21 AM

A SIDEWALK ????????????? What is the world coming to !!??? shocked
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 02:28 AM

Go to the local bar/ coffee shop.
Can't imagine how those pics will fester in the future smile
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 02:32 AM

They put wolf and other tracks in the concrete sidewalks at the Cincinnati zoo. You made a beautiful, interesting looking sidewalk. Are you going to cut expansion joints in your sidewalk to prevent it from cracking?

Keith
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 02:41 AM

Love that idea Jack. Sidewalk looks nice. Shoveling this winter should be easier.

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 02:45 AM

KeithC -
Yeah, tough to see from the angle, but there are expansion joints already in. Thanks.

White17 -
Sorry, man! You built a real fine shack down here, and I go and ruin the entire ambiance.

bnb -
Couple days ago we had snow and hard frosts, Today was a sweltering 75F, and there were a few hydraulic cylinders consumed while finishing the mud.

Yes sir -
Great idea! I'll need to put in just the right bush and give it a squirt. However, my dog will undoubtedly drench it 10-20 times every day and it'll be dead by autumn.

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 03:05 AM

Maybe a few piles of artificial ursus scat artfully placed along the walk ???
Posted By: dustytinner

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 03:12 AM

Very cool!

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 12:12 PM

White17 -

Yes. Did think seriously about a wolf turd or two along the trail, then thought about a bent shovel every time the turd was encountered. Nixed the idea...

Jack
Posted By: Aix sponsa

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 12:14 PM

Now that’s cool
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 12:19 PM

Thats quite a Pathway!

Awesome print Idea! Great Artistry!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 01:39 PM

Great idea, looks cool!
Posted By: Mac

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 01:54 PM

Nice job
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 01:57 PM

Brilliant ! Sheer art from beginning to finish .

I like the colour, the shape , and those prints are the perfect touch !

Well done ! Anyone who visits you will love seeing all that up close, Im certain ! cool
Posted By: Bristleback

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 03:12 PM

Love it, very fitting!!
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 03:14 PM

Excellent!
Posted By: Jumperzee

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 03:58 PM

That's cool looking Jack. Should have bedded a 750 somewhere in there too, just because!

We did a similar thing with hardwood leaves. Adds a little flair to our otherwise boring concrete walk.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 04:50 PM

Looks like a 4 year old dominant male track Jack...lol
Very cool idea.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 05:05 PM

Darn good idea Gulo that's a great idea for another money making venture for you the market is endless ha ha
Allan

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 06:22 PM

Allan -
No thanks, man. I spent a couple hours making the print, and I suspect the returns would be poor (even worse than knife-making). I have seriously thought about making plaster casts of SE Alaska brown bears, wolf prints from around here, and, of course, a good set of Gulo prints. I think they'd be better and easier to make than carving walnut.

MChewk -
The print was actually from a 5-year old adult male grin

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Allan -
No thanks, man. I spent a couple hours making the print, and I suspect the returns would be poor (even worse than knife-making). I have seriously thought about making plaster casts of SE Alaska brown bears, wolf prints from around here, and, of course, a good set of Gulo prints. I think they'd be better and easier to make than carving walnut.

MChewk -
The print was actually from a 5-year old adult male grin

Now THAT would be neat indeed , Jack !

They could be left as the natural plaster colour, or painted .

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 07:12 PM

I doubt they would hold still while the plaster dried

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 07:21 PM

grin

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 08:09 PM

Its a secret, but I have ways...

Jack
Posted By: trappergbus

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 10:17 PM

Perfect, that's gotta be an alpha LOL.. Where's the kick backs?
Posted By: Posco

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/13/19 11:39 PM

I have seriously thought about making plaster casts of SE Alaska brown bears

Nice broomed finish and good edge work on your walk. I wish I would have thought of it when I hunted the Peninsula but it didn't cross my mind at the time. I did get some casts from a large female grizzly in the Delta Junction area. Couldn't capture the claws in my casts. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 12:42 AM

I remember the bear track ash tray or whatever you want to call them that was offered for sale in the airports in both Anchorage and Fairbanks years ago which is what sparked the comment.
The kick backs will be in the next pour ha ha
Allan
Posted By: Duckstick80

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 02:55 AM

You guys did a good job finishing that side walk!

I've had all sorts of prints show up overnight on broomed concrete when we pour late in the day. Calves, deer, coons etc. Most people don't care except the guy with the calf prints. They were his calves then he asked me how I was gonna fix it lol!

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 03:19 AM

Its a secret, but I have ways...

Jack

I know what happened....

Garth decided to make the trek south to see you....upon finding your fresh poured art- himself decided to add to the art in appreciation wink

I believe in the thought....live smarter, not harder.

A paved walkway, so attractive, and easy to maintain , there is nothing at all wrong in that.

Adding an artistic touch is icing on the cake
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 03:28 AM

Let it age for a bit and those tracks are all you will see as they collect debris. I was changing the mower blades on my uncles mower Sunday and noticed turkey tracks in the cement from years ago by accident. They are forever and all you notice.
Posted By: Ryan McLeod

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 05:36 AM

Very cool. Now to make shoe soles with wolf tracks. No more setting from the sled then.
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by white17
A SIDEWALK ????????????? What is the world coming to !!??? shocked

It will make it much easier for us to push his wheelchair when we visit!

Pete

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 03:31 PM

Yeah !! There's a fairly steep drop-off right next to that sidewalk !! laugh

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 04:00 PM

shocked grin
Posted By: ambush32

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 04:33 PM

Very nice!!
Now where is the wolf trap?
Posted By: muskrat411

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 04:51 PM

Any body use the plastic pop bottle trick to make tracks going to your sets?

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/14/19 11:23 PM

HA! Pete -

The walkway is not for me (yet). I figured if you wandered out of Bare-Flanks Alaska and lost your way to New Joisey, the handicapped trail would be for you. Put the wolf track in it so you'd feel at home.

Jack

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/15/19 03:08 PM

HA! Pete -

The walkway is not for me (yet). I figured if you wandered out of Bare-Flanks Alaska and lost your way to New Joisey, the handicapped trail would be for you. Put the wolf track in it so you'd feel at home.

Jack

How will I ever be able to repay you?!!!!

I was just talking about you the other evening. Recalling the time when you came into the office and mentioned the young bull moose you had passed up in Rosie Creek while cutting wood one September day. You thought that the FMA (bow only) included the whole RC drainage and were not aware that RC itself was the boundary. The whole west side of the drainage was an open rifle area! You passed up a legal bull because the ADFG regs were (arguably) "too complicated" for a card-carrying ADFG Biologist to interpret clearly! While I mentioned this example a couple of times while I was on the BOG arguing to "Simplify Game Regulations" you will be pleased to note that I never invoked your name while "on the record!"

Pete

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/15/19 03:41 PM

Nice of you to not bring that up in public, Pete smile

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/15/19 07:17 PM

Gee thanks Pete.

I do recall one quip that did make it "on the record". Many years ago, while discussing various survey techniques "on the record" with the Board of Game, I mentioned that we did "photocensus" work with the caribou. We used the "Gassaway" technique on moose. I inadvertently said that the wolf survey data were derived from a "Pioma" survey. Spraker wouldn't let it die, and kept quizzing me, "for the record", what precisely is a Pioma estimate? He finally asked specifically what 'Pioma' stands for (he knew good and well, but wanted to see me squirm). I finally told the entire Board and the public, that it was "pulled it out my ___".

Bosses were not too happy with me....

Jack
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/15/19 07:27 PM

Lol Jack....good one!

Re: Sidewalk Wolf Prints - 06/16/19 02:31 PM

Gee thanks Pete.

I do recall one quip that did make it "on the record". Many years ago, while discussing various survey techniques "on the record" with the Board of Game, I mentioned that we did "photocensus" work with the caribou. We used the "Gassaway" technique on moose. I inadvertently said that the wolf survey data were derived from a "Pioma" survey. Spraker wouldn't let it die, and kept quizzing me, "for the record", what precisely is a Pioma estimate? He finally asked specifically what 'Pioma' stands for (he knew good and well, but wanted to see me squirm). I finally told the entire Board and the public, that it was "pulled it out my ___".

Bosses were not too happy with me....

Jack

Oh yeah right, like Spraker wouldn't do something like that himself!

You and I both have that gene where sometimes we just get a tad too forthright for the current situation. Often it is funny. Other times it leaves unhappy bosses. Or both.......!

pb
© 2024 Trapperman Forums