Home

Carburetor question

Posted By: white17

Carburetor question - 06/15/19 04:35 PM

Just replaced the carb on my '66 chevy p/u. It's a Rochester single bbl. Straight 6, 292 engine. The mixture screw was open 2.5 turns when I got it. I think that is way too much. The old one was set at approximately 3/4 turn open.

Anyone have a good guideline about what is close to correct for initial starting ?
Posted By: Savell

Re: Carburetor question - 06/15/19 04:40 PM

....turn that thing wide open and fill the tank with racing fuel..ride down to the icehouse, dump the clutch and pop a wheelie for the Eskimos
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Carburetor question - 06/15/19 04:46 PM

I would always start with 2 turns. put a tach/dwell meter on and adjust for the fastest idle speed. set the ide speed srew and call it good.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Carburetor question - 06/15/19 04:48 PM

About one turn open was usually a good starting point for me.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Carburetor question - 06/15/19 04:48 PM

I should have included let it come up to operating temperature to adjust for fastest idle speed
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Carburetor question - 06/15/19 04:51 PM

Engine warm, choke open, in park/neutral...screw the idle mixture screw in until it just seats. Don't crank it down or you'll ruin it and it'll never be right. Back it out 1 1/2 turns initially. Start it up and set idle speed. Now crank the mixture screw out slowly, the engine rpm should start going up. If it goes down, crank it in. Keep slowly turning it out as long as doing so raises RPM. At some point the RPM will decrease; at that point turn it back in 1/4 turn. Basically you're trying to get it adjusted to the point where it makes the highest RPM, because that is the point at which the engine is happiest. After you get the mixture set, you'll have to re-adjust idle speed.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Carburetor question - 06/15/19 05:46 PM

I always thought 1 1/4 turns so it's in the ball park sounds like.
Posted By: old_newbie

Re: Carburetor question - 06/16/19 02:21 AM

If you have a vacuum gauge, plumb it into manifold vac. and adjust to greatest vac. at factory idle speed.
Posted By: JoeRJr

Re: Carburetor question - 06/16/19 02:27 AM

Please do what danny clifton said. Every vehicle and carburetor is different, so don't worry so much where you end up for adjustment. Anywhere between .5 turns and 2.5 turns out would be OK. I suspect you'll end up just about centered between those numbers.
Joe
Posted By: tjm

Re: Carburetor question - 06/16/19 03:25 AM

http://www.carburetor-blog.com/rochester-monojet-idle-mixture-adjustment/
https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Rochester-Monojet-Technical_ep_352.html

Re: Carburetor question - 06/16/19 03:46 PM

Thanks everyone . My internet connection quit right after I posted the question.

I don't have access to any instruments so I'll just have to go by ear. I'll try it at the current setting. If I can get it started I'll adjust from there.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: Carburetor question - 06/16/19 04:26 PM

O brother , mine always run the best about 1 3/4 turns out
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Carburetor question - 06/16/19 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Savell
....turn that thing wide open and fill the tank with racing fuel..ride down to the icehouse, dump the clutch and pop a wheelie for the Eskimos

grin You're a hoot, Savell
Posted By: hippie

Re: Carburetor question - 06/16/19 04:58 PM

It's only a stovebolt, nothing to worry about. grin

Re: Carburetor question - 06/18/19 03:49 AM

Got it running !! About 2 turns OPEN. Sounds great but that's because there's an exhaust leak !! laugh

But hey......... It's running and moves under its own power!!
Posted By: tjm

Re: Carburetor question - 06/18/19 05:03 AM

2 turns is good, that is likely the single best carb & engine GM ever made. I can't believe the old one worked at all with 3/4 turns-
Posted By: trapr

Re: Carburetor question - 06/18/19 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by white17
Got it running !! About 2 turns OPEN. Sounds great but that's because there's an exhaust leak !! laugh

But hey......... It's running and moves under its own power!!

I don't think they call them leaks anymore, believe it is called a tuned exhaust.
it running and moving under its own power reminds me of someone of the boonies of Alaska, can't remember who though. smile

Re: Carburetor question - 06/18/19 06:00 PM

Hmmmm that comment sounds like a tuned exhaust laugh

tjm..... it was tough to start at that 3/4 setting but still seemed to be running rich. This one is much better!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums