Home

Best state to live in?

Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 09:39 PM

Cost of living, climate, sites and things to do? I'm in WI and want to move and retire in a more economical place to live.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:08 PM

No complaints here in upper Michigan
Posted By: run

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:12 PM

Cross Virginia off your list . It makes Wisconsin look like a cheap place to live. I got relatives that live in Richland Center,Wisconsin.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:13 PM

Manitoba.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:14 PM

Virginia has the climate,Sights , and things to do. But the cost of living is up there with New York and California.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:17 PM

Of all the states I’ve visited, (46 of them), Utah was always my favorite.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:37 PM

I am moving to Tennessee in August from SC.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:50 PM

The state of denial
Posted By: coyote44

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:53 PM

NOT NEW YORK
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:58 PM

Not Idaho. Hunting, fishing, and trapping sucks here. I hear California is fantastic
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Badgerman50
Not Idaho. Hunting, fishing, and trapping sucks here. I hear California is fantastic

Same with nevada
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 11:00 PM

Hunting trapping and fishing head for ND. Housing seems to be very cheap and the people are great. But the winters suck.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 11:06 PM

laugh
Posted By: waggler

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 11:23 PM

British Columbia
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/15/19 11:50 PM

It ain't Minnesota! I plan to make my money here and get out asap @ retirement!

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Bigbrownie
Of all the states I’ve visited, (46 of them), Utah was always my favorite.

I love Utah.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:21 AM

here you go https://www.cheatsheet.com/culture/the-least-expensive-states-to-live-in-the-us.html/

if you choose ks you have to pass a political means test before you can immigrate
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:26 AM

Stay away from Pittsburgh and Philly and PA is a fine state.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:27 AM

have you considered the few Midwest states that will GIVE you a home if you come to live there?

sounds like you have a lot of research to do, Google is your friend,

comparing trapping laws?...length of deer season?….# deer tags allowed? , tired of shoveling/blowing snow? , amount of public land? ..etc, etc, could all
come into play!

how about the states that pay a bounty on beavers?
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler

Same with nevada

I concur. Especially North Idaho. Refrain from there.
Posted By: John-Chagnon

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:35 AM

No fish and muskrats left in Michigan
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:36 AM

A big piece of advice. Fix your own state as Conservative Christian states who have no income tax, crime rates and AOC nuttery do not want you there, as they are learning fast what Colorado and Missouri learned by California influx.

My inlaws mocked the Dakotas when they lived in your twin state of Minnesota for 30 years, because they could discern how Al Franken and that lot would vote conservative. Odd thing is when they retired they moved to South Dakota, and the people there do not like Minnesotans, no more than the people out of Rapid City can not stands the Denver awakened pouring into that area buying gumbo homes.

When people have problems with their state, fix that state for their grandchildren and that means voting in the high taxes and high spending. which they allowed.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon

Same with Wisconsin. Nothing here. But I hear Illinois is real nice or Minnesota. People should move there but not Wisconsin.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:44 AM

Alabama is nice

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:53 AM

Who has the best fisher trapping?
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 01:05 AM

It's cheap to live here... But it's hot as blazes in the summer and the trapping laws suck.

Mike
Posted By: claycreech

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by star flakes
A big piece of advice. Fix your own state as Conservative Christian states who have no income tax, crime rates and AOC nuttery do not want you there, as they are learning fast what Colorado and Missouri learned by California influx.

My inlaws mocked the Dakotas when they lived in your twin state of Minnesota for 30 years, because they could discern how Al Franken and that lot would vote conservative. Odd thing is when they retired they moved to South Dakota, and the people there do not like Minnesotans, no more than the people out of Rapid City can not stands the Denver awakened pouring into that area buying gumbo homes.

When people have problems with their state, fix that state for their grandchildren and that means voting in the high taxes and high spending. which they allowed.

Influx of California people into Missouri?
Guess I missed that.......
Posted By: Buckhunter2

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:49 AM

Interesting topic l am keen to see what else others have experienced.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 10:10 AM

Fisher trapping is illegal in Virginia last time I checked.
Posted By: gryhkl

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 11:20 AM

Build more walls!
Posted By: kyron4

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 11:48 AM

Some of the nicer "outdoors mans" states are ruined by politics and just get worse. I love the land and lakes of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minn. but would never live there with their leftest laws.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 11:54 AM

I've lived many different places, and I seem to always end up in a state of confusion.
Posted By: EdP

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:00 PM

I think Star Flakes has Missouri confused with Montana with regard to the influx from California.

Run doesn't like the cost of living in Va, but I live in a very different part of Va and have a low cost of living, nothing close to NY or Cali. My problem with Va is the left leaning, gun grabbing politics driven by Run's part of the state.

This "best state" question appears with some regularity on the forum but the various areas of the country are so different and what people are used to is so different that it is almost impossible to answer. As someone who has always lived east of the great plains, the great expanses of the west are daunting. I am used to having a grocery store, Cabelas, Walmart, Tractor Supply, Hospital, Doctor and Dentist all within 20 miles while living in the country. At my age living in Idaho would be a huge paradigm shift. Then there is the consideration that both my son's families live in the east. So even though I can move anywhere I want, moving to Idaho isn't practical. Similar considerations apply to others. When I moved from Ky to Va I should have paid more attention to state politics and moved to east Tn instead. I like where I live very much but local politics don't match what is happening on a state level. So I would advise that you narrow your search based on your lifestyle habits, research the cost of living and tax structure, and consider the trend in state politics regarding your own personal leanings. For someone who intends to live in the east and not on the coast, likes to hunt, fish and trap, and is politically conservative, Tn and Ky are hard to beat.
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:10 PM

I live in northeast Tenn and love the area, we have four seasons but none are extreme, couple decent 12"-16" snows a year and summers usually never get above 80. I also have a place in southern Ohio and I love it up there too, mainly because of the people and the big bucks
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:12 PM

NEW YORK STATE, Obviously, Duh !!! laugh

w
Posted By: Railroader

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 12:28 PM

Not Kansas. Too hot/humid in the summer, taxes too high, land prices getting ridiculously high in some areas. I would have already moved out of Kansas if the wife was on board. Only thing we got goin on is good deer hunting in some areas.
Posted By: Hoppytrapsfur

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 01:14 PM

Central Fl.
Hunt, fish. No trapping. Snareing .
Cost of living not bad.
Posted By: sako22

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 01:18 PM

Kentucky is pretty darn good if you ask me!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 01:41 PM

Ky
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 01:42 PM

NOT NEW YORK> POLITICIANS HAVE RUINED IT.
Posted By: Rockfarmer

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 01:43 PM

I like Missouri - And I have no idea about the influx of California people. I sure haven't seen it here.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader
Not Kansas. Too hot/humid in the summer, taxes too high, land prices getting ridiculously high in some areas. I would have already moved out of Kansas if the wife was on board. Only thing we got goin on is good deer hunting in some areas.

I find the heat is easier to tolerate as you age! Never thought I'd say that, cause it still sucks, but just not quite as bad! lol
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 03:14 PM

Definately not Connecticut... anti's are gaining more control in government, taxes and spending is out of control, now family medical leave is paid which will encourage more lazy workers to get it [*it is super easy to get in CT...] so they can get paid to not come to work....

Now here's where the problem lies: In CT, all the Republicans who complain the loudest are regestered Independents which means - guess what - they can't vote in the primary's which in CT is more important than the actual elections, so we always wind up with two terrible candidates of which there is very little difference with.

Connecticut used to be a great place to live 30 years ago, but things changed for the worse between the tolls being taken away and replaced with an income tax, the never ending population explosion of people wishing to get on the welfare gravy train, and now there's a mass migration of folks who have made their wealth and want to live elsewhere.

It's still a beautiful state, with no shortage of things to do - but it's the people moving in who are ruining it for everyone.

If I was not set of life so to speak [house is paid off...] and I was younger, I'd be gone in a flash.... although where I would go is a whole 'nother matter, because who is to say where I would wind up would be any better long term ??
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty
Cost of living, climate, sites and things to do? I'm in WI and want to move and retire in a more economical place to live.

Hey, if'n you find a better state to live or retire in than Wisconsin, please share.
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rockfarmer
I like Missouri - And I have no idea about the influx of California people. I sure haven't seen it here.

x2
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by John-Chagnon

NO fish, you have to try a new lake or something. JMO
Posted By: hippie

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 03:42 PM

They're all infested with liberals now-a-days.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 03:44 PM

[Linked Image]

Constitution carry, no helmet law, fireworks, 11 miles of Coast line, beaches,White Mountains, fresh seafood, lots of old history, floods,wildfire,tornadoes,heat and humidity,earthquakes...not much. Colorful Fall foliage.Plenty of Summer and winter activity’s . No sales Tax....cheap cigarettes and liquor. But Property Taxes are a killah . You can travel from the bottom of the State to the Canadien boarder in 4 hours.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 05:29 PM

That does sound like a great state... Live Free Or Die !!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 05:32 PM

Look! It has a Lake in the middle.
Is that someones trapline?
Posted By: Railroader

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Originally Posted by Railroader

I find the heat is easier to tolerate as you age! Never thought I'd say that, cause it still sucks, but just not quite as bad! lol

I hope your right. I managed a frozen distribution warehouse for 7 years so i am much more acclimated to the cold. I for one will be moving to MN, WI, or MI when i retire.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by run
Fisher trapping is illegal in Virginia last time I checked.

Also not allowed on Idaho. So fisher trappers you have to go somewhere else.
Posted By: mud

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
[Linked Image]

But Property Taxes are a killah

You have no idea sir. 12k per year here where I’m leaving. 1000$ per month just in property taxes. This place was good for earning years. Then you run and don’t look back.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 06:38 PM

Dang I'd be moving mud, I pay $1500 for a newer 2400 square foot house With full basement and a barn on 10 acres so I'm not complaining about our taxes anymore
Posted By: mud

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by RM trapper
Dang I'd be moving mud, I pay $1500 for a newer 2400 square foot house With full basement and a barn on 10 acres so I'm not complaining about our taxes anymore

Moved yesterday. Worked my last regular shift Friday. Listing my place in the next couple weeks. We’re gone.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 07:01 PM

Congrats mud. I'm sure it's a good place to make money but once a man retired that property tax would be rough
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 08:57 PM

What do you guys think of AZ?

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:06 PM

If I was going to live in New England (which my wife would love) it would be in NH. I love the Whites and have friends there, but it is the last bastion of conservatism in the northeast and is under heavy attack from the south.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by zoozoo400
What do you guys think of AZ?

My friend lives there....he says it’s only good for 5-6 months....then it’s too frigging hot...
Posted By: Marty

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:24 PM

Happy in Kansas, gets a little hot working outside for a few months but I am pretty happy here.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:32 PM

Virginia is so bad the California immigrants wish they were back in California. The strict hard liquor laws drive them nuts.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:39 PM

Less people = best States!
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:43 PM

Is your bud in Phoenix & south, or is he north of it?

I've heard anything north is much nicer temp-wise
Posted By: foxhunter52

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:43 PM

You probably don't want to come to Utah. Too many nice conservative people, beautiful mountains, deserts, tons of public land, great hunting and fishing, spotted western bobcats and $50 bounty on western heavy and semi heavy coyotes. What's to like?

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/16/19 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by foxhunter52
You probably don't want to come to Utah. Too many nice conservative people, beautiful mountains, deserts, tons of public land, great hunting and fishing, spotted western bobcats and $50 bounty on western heavy and semi heavy coyotes. What's to like?

That sounds terrible!
whistle wink
Posted By: BlueDuck

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 01:52 PM

If I didn't live in north Idaho, it would probably be in Montana. I am happy here.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 02:44 PM

If you stay away from Sewer Falls, SD isnt a bad place at all. Get an hour or so away from the city and acreages can be had under 200k all day long. Any closer and you can add 100k+ to anything and everything. I spose its the same way everywhere that has one goal in mind, population growth.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Hunting trapping and fishing head for ND. Housing seems to be very cheap and the people are great. But the winters suck.

I wouldn't mind owning lakeshore on Devil's Lake. Great fishing lake properly managed. Of course, downside are the winters. Liberal Twin Cities suck worse than ND's winters.
Posted By: BullOx

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 05:10 PM

Michigan is good for outdoorsmen things like hunting fishing and trapping, but car insurance is ridiculous and if our governor gets her gas tax gas will be ridiculous too. Hope you like the cold
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 05:16 PM

Others ideas of good, bad or ugly may not be the best for you. Everyone has different wants and needs. Almost every state would have scenic and secluded areas it is just a matter of what other issues and concerns one can tolerate or adapt to. Finding a place that has enough economic activity and depth so that one can earn the revenue that is needed to do the things one wants and likes to do would be a strong consideration for me.

Bryce

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 10:46 PM

Law Dog, I agree less people is a plus, but there is a downside too. If state politics are important to you a low population state like Wyoming is highly susceptible to an influx from Cali changing what you hold dear. Colorado has gone down that path and Montana is being challenged.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 11:23 PM

Montana has a lot of pro's and con's. The state is 57% privately owned the rest is all (43%) public BLM, Fed, State, etc.. Land galore to buy more then any place I have seen any other state. The size of private land 57% is about the size of SD even though a large state and hard to get on land more and more each year. So much bought for rec and hunting so it takes more away from the general public to trap and hunt. It is a state where you have land that is land locked. With more out of state people buying they keep land locking more of public lands.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/17/19 11:50 PM

The only places I've ever lived are/were Maine and Alaska. I love them both. I'm up here in the north country and I'm happy but the area is poverty ridden. It's isolated with very few good paying jobs. The plus side is, you can buy land or a home for next to nothing if you have a way to pay for it.
Posted By: j lord

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/18/19 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I am moving to Tennessee in August from SC.

What part of Tn Scuba?
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/18/19 08:26 AM

I am happy here in WNC. Taxes aren't too bad. Plenty of public ground. It is getting more populated though, with liberals!?!??! I don't know about the politics or cost of living, but if not for the winters I believe I could handle northern Wisconsin!! Beautiful land!!

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/18/19 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by joepennanti
Originally Posted by EdP
Law Dog, I agree less people is a plus, but there is a downside too. If state politics are important to you a low population state like Wyoming is highly susceptible to an influx from Cali changing what you hold dear. Colorado has gone down that path and Montana is being challenged.

this ^

Teton County, WY, which contains the Jackson Hole ski area, all of Grand Teton National Park, and 40% of Yellowstone National Park, is a classic example of a sparsely populated area that has been lost to Libs. Let's remember how they thwarted the proposed Grizzly hunt.

Jackson Hole is a lost cause. Hopefully, no other parts of Wyoming turns into this billionaire liberal mess.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/20/19 04:00 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/20/19 04:01 PM

Looks like Liberal utopia ranks best

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/20/19 11:06 PM

With all due respect, that ain't what I look for. smile

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 02:19 AM

Delaware looks ok

Maybe the Eastern Shore of Maryland, I guess..

Tennessee and Kentucky possibly...

Alabama... War Eagle...

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 02:33 AM

Do not move to Massachusetts...unless you want the state to tell you how you should live your life....they have laws for laws.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson

Can you buy beer and wine at a gas station in Nebraska? Can you buy beer on Sunday ? Or buy beer and wine in a supermarket ? We can in NH...but we can’t buy beer before 6am.....so when we go ice fishing,we get our beer the night before. I like Beer.
Posted By: ShaneT

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by joepennanti
That's my point. There's no objective answer to the question. Most of us on this forum would choose states from the 20 that were ranked in last place:

30 Kansas
31 Maryland
32 Ohio
33 Missouri
34 Delaware
35 Indiana
36 Texas
37 Tennessee
38 Arizona
39 Georgia
40 Nevada
41 Kentucky
42 Oklahoma
43 West Virginia
44 South Carolina
45 Alaska
46 Alabama
47 Arkansas
48 New Mexico
49 Louisiana
50 Mississippi

I am honored to be near the bottom of the Liberal list haha.

In all seriousness, I really like Arkansas. With just a couple hours of driving you can be in the mountains, the Mississippi river floodplain, or the rolling hills and creek bottoms of the gulf coastal plain. Decent trapping, hunting, and fishing laws as well as excellent hunting, fishing, and trapping opportunities. Probably among the lowest cost of living in the nation on top of that.

If the winters weren't so brutal I would choose Wyoming of the Dakotas.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 02:24 PM

Louisiana has the best food and hot sauce.
Posted By: AirportTrapper

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 02:30 PM

I'll stay where I'm at. I have not seen anything in other states worth leaving for.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck

Can you buy beer and wine at a gas station in Nebraska? Can you buy beer on Sunday ? Or buy beer and wine in a supermarket ? We can in NH...but we can’t buy beer before 6am.....so when we go ice fishing,we get our beer the night before. I like Beer.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I like beer too. I try to hold off until 4:00 p.m. though so I can say I'm well-disciplined. laugh

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 03:06 PM

No lick'er on Sundays in NE I don't think. Used to be that way.
Wyoming is kinda weird. No beer in gas station or grocery stores.
Walmart has a lick'er store attached to the corner of their store where you can get lick'er.
Some Wyoming permits will allow a drive-up window, in case you're too drunk to walk inside. That's pretty handy, doncha think?
In KS used to be you could buy 3.2 beer at 18 yrs of age, but had to be 19 to buy 6.0 beer. I'm sure that saved a lot of lives.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 04:27 PM

Iowa's rich farmland feeds those in New H, HI, and New Jersey while they play on public land unsuitable for anything else.
Posted By: eric space

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 06:58 PM

Just cause it is public land in NJ does not mean you can hunt, fish or trap on it. Most of it you cannot.

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/21/19 09:37 PM

If Arizona has 56.8% public land, it means you can’t trap on 56.8% of the state!
Posted By: DWC

Re: Best state to live in? - 06/22/19 01:40 AM

No lick'er on Sundays in NE I don't think. Used to be that way.
Wyoming is kinda weird. No beer in gas station or grocery stores.
Walmart has a lick'er store attached to the corner of their store where you can get lick'er.
Some Wyoming permits will allow a drive-up window, in case you're too drunk to walk inside. That's pretty handy, doncha think?
In KS used to be you could buy 3.2 beer at 18 yrs of age, but had to be 19 to buy 6.0 beer. I'm sure that saved a lot of lives.

Wyoming has the cheapest liquor ive ever laid eyes on. The walmart liquor store had 20 dollar bottles of jameson, crown, pendalton ect.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums