Home

Your trapline dog

Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 06:26 PM

Do you have a dog that you take on the trap line? Breed? Is it for companionship? Help you find trap locations? Did you start taking it as a pup?
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 06:34 PM

I take Rowdy (my GSP) with me almost all the time on water lines, just for companionship and to get him outside during the week when I'm woking and we're not bird hunting. Take him with me on some land lines usually when I'm making sets, not usually when I'm just checking them. He will dig me natural dirtholes when he's digging for voles in the snow. Has his scent and paw prints all over the dirt hole all I have to do is throw lure/bait in and a trap and be done. He will also tell me where coyotes or wolves have been peeing. I recently got an English setter and she'll come with me as well on my lines this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 09:38 PM

Good house dog useless on the line once she sees a rabbit her IQ drops to zero!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Badgerman50

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 10:17 PM

Mine are fun on the line or anything else as long as you don’t need it to be too quiet

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: charles

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 10:30 PM

My blue heeler was good.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 10:35 PM

I feel a dog has to go along to learn. If you want a dog that hunts/ is a trap line dog take it along. A dog won't learn a thing about hunting if you leave it home. I started taking my dog at about 8 weeks full time. At 9 weeks he found a 110 in the cattails about 100 yards from where a coon stole it and a muskrat it caught. He had no clue what he was doing other than he smelled the rat guts and went in the cattails to check it out. A dog is not a help at first no matter what age it is, but they have to go to get to where they are a help. The more they go the more they learn. The same as you.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 11:35 PM

[Linked Image]

Roscoe is my every day companion but he does very well on the trapline and while calling coyotes.

He " nose" where the coyotes pee/ travel.
He's helped me get plenty of called in coyotes that hung up outta range.
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 11:37 PM

Loki is the best when she picks up a scent, because I know something interesting is going to be found at the other end
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mole

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 11:43 PM

Pearl Helping she is a Mountain Cur.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/16/19 11:49 PM

Got a new chocolate lab. Pup im working with now, my old lab was very good on the line land and water line. She would find beaver dens for me, and k-9 and bobcat sign. Also got a fox terrier now she is the boss dog, very good at finding k-9 urine areas and when its a wolf her hair stands up. Now that ive trapped with a good dog i will never be without one.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/17/19 12:24 AM

[Linked Image]
They will keep you company when it's miserable at least. They aren't hard to get lined out on traps. Then again I know guys that wouldn't have a hope to have a good dog. They just aren't good dog handlers. If you have a decent handle on your dogs it makes trapping a whole other level of fun.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/17/19 12:27 AM

I got a half and halfer from Dead Coyote three years ago. She is my faithful companion everyday on the line. Just the right size at about 35 lbs, and got big feet that when, not if, she gets caught, it don't phase her! She is half Jagd and half airdale, and I have sure gotten fond of her! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/17/19 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
I got a half and halfer from Dead Coyote three years ago. She is my faithful companion everyday on the line. Just the right size at about 35 lbs, and got big feet that when, not if, she gets caught, it don't phase her! She is half Jagd and half airdale, and I have sure gotten fond of her! [Linked Image]

That's a great cross and size. I would love to find a similar cross around here.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/17/19 02:44 AM

This is my new pup in training. Loki is Jadg English Shepard cross and is showing some potential. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/17/19 03:29 AM

Trapping coyotes, a dog can add to your catch because of Territorial instincts and I see where she sniffs and pees, or does kick back
Posted By: Fur trapping

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/19/19 03:47 AM

[Linked Image]
My pups hope they will hunt birds and will be my trap line dogs. They are 10 week old German wired haired pointers. Tired from training tonight.
Posted By: boz

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/19/19 10:59 AM

Looking to get a pup so our current yellow lab can help train it... Needs to be family friendly first and foremost but also would like good trap line instincts..... Don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions? Not too long ago a fella was selling some jagd terriers on here....
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/19/19 01:44 PM

I have had Airedales for years, ruined me for owning another breed, I like other dogs but if I'am going to have a dog its gonna be an Airedale! Some have been real "birdy", shot a lot of turkeys , all of them hunt "field lions" the current one does well at finding trapped animals and treeing ,last year was the first year he didn't get in a trap!
Posted By: AKAjust

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/19/19 03:35 PM

I've been looking for a fox terrier. Had one when I was a kid.
just
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/19/19 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Good house dog useless on the line once she sees a rabbit her IQ drops to zero!
[Linked Image]

LOL Sooo true!, Cracked me up!
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/19/19 10:38 PM

[Linked Image]

Try not to go out on the line without him.
Posted By: zoozoo400

Re: Your trapline dog - 06/20/19 03:02 AM

I've been thinking about getting a Pudelpointer pup.. pretty versatile breed I've heard
© 2024 Trapperman Forums