Home

Sweet potatoes and deer

Posted By: Gary Benson

Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/16/19 09:25 PM

Last year I put sidewalk lights around the garden and had no problems. This year as soon as I set the plants out there are two young deer munching the leaves off. I am beyond pist. Put up an electric fence today. It's on...
Posted By: run

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/16/19 09:29 PM

You have my sympathy.
Posted By: Zim

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/16/19 09:40 PM

If nothing else Gary, sweet potatoes and venison pair well together on your plate.
I would recommend a good red zinfandel with that.

Zim
Posted By: #11

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/16/19 10:04 PM

Some years the deer eat some of the leaves and some not. My wife gets upset when they do, but I can't say they ever hurt the yield much.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/16/19 10:49 PM

Wouldn't be so bad if they'd let the dang plants get started! Bow season may open early this year...
Posted By: warrior

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/16/19 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by #11
Some years the deer eat some of the leaves and some not. My wife gets upset when they do, but I can't say they ever hurt the yield much.

They will if they get to them the night you set out the slips.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/17/19 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Put up an electric fence today. It's on...

...sounds like you forgot to hang 6-8" strips of alum foil every 6'-10' and smear peanut butter on them !
Posted By: #11

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/17/19 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by #11

They will if they get to them the night you set out the slips.

I'll bet so. We don't seem to have a lot of problems in the garden with deer in the spring and summer like we do in the fall. The deer will flat mow the strawberry plants off like a lawn mower in late September.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Sweet potatoes and deer - 06/17/19 02:04 AM

Deer have wiped out my garden before.
A good dog that will chase them is your best bet.
I can remember back in my early 20’s , you hardly ever saw a deer around here, now
I can kill 5-6 out of my yard each winter and still have deer running wild..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums