Home

$50500.00 U joint

Posted By: Killbuck

$50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 12:21 PM

I was driving yesterday back from picking up herbicide when my front end started shaking and banging. (un)fortunately I was 1/4 mile from the local Chevy dealer. Pulled in, talked to service writer and called wife to pick me up. She's been in the market for a new truck...….see where this is going?? Long story short we walked out with a new u joint and axel for my Tacoma and a new Silverado 6.2 High Country pickup! They don't make an option this thing doesn't have! Has more cameras than Kodak! Anything for the princess!
Posted By: Finster

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 12:23 PM

A new wife might have been cheaper. laugh
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Finster

HAHA
Posted By: tjm

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 01:10 PM

Have to get off yer behind and get that woman a 3rd job.
Posted By: tlguy

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 01:12 PM

I just replaced the U joint on my 09 Canyon, went top of the line and dropped $20 on it.

Mine didnt come with a brand new truck though!
Posted By: Matt28

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 01:12 PM

That's a good chunk of money. I hope one day I can understand the justifications of spending that on a truck. My dad just bought a new GMC. First new truck he has ever had. First 3 night he said he couldn't sleep well, he kept thinking about what other things that money could have been better used for. I told him if you have it and don't care to use it smart might as well waste it.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 01:20 PM

I've had a couple hundred dollar ujoint go out in me but never a 50k one. Just had a ujoint replaced and two days later it went out and beat the aluminum drive shaft up so badly that you couldn't get the retaining ring in. Apparently the shop that replaced the U didn't bother to install the grease fitting so there obviously wasn't any grease in the U. Had to replace the drive shaft.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 01:28 PM

That is just criminal what they want for a truck nowadays.
Posted By: Abu65

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 02:21 PM

Those High Countrys are sweet
Posted By: Boco

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 02:26 PM

Most of the vehicles I have bought have been brand new.
Much cheaper in the long run than buying someone else's scrap.
The only time I bought used was if I knew the guy that bought it new and bought from him.
I would never buy a used vehicle from a dealer.
Congrats on the new truck.
Many new top of line trucks are in the $100,000 range.But there are also lots of nice ones for half that.
$100,000 is not that much money these days.
Posted By: warrior

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
The only time I bought used was if I knew the guy that bought it new and bought from him.
Many new top of line trucks are in the $100,000 range.But there are also lots of nice ones for half that.

And now we understand. No concept of reality for most folks so can't understand why we oppose his liberal ways.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 02:55 PM

And I would opine only fools with money to burn buy new. Even if you can afford to, let some other fool take the hit driving it off the lot.
A couple, three year old vehicles in perfect condition are easily found for way less.
Posted By: DWC

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 03:06 PM

It is when its a 6 year loan....
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 03:19 PM

works good for farmers that need a write off.
that preventive plant check must be big!

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 03:19 PM

That's a lot of moose droppings or sawdust or whatever you Canuck's use for currency up there.
Posted By: run

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 03:23 PM

Canadian money isn't worth as much as USA money.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by run

Nothing in Canada is worth as much

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 03:27 PM

Finster, you're funny. Thanks for the laugh.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 04:24 PM

My neighbor said he got a new car for his wife. I told him I thought that was an excellent trade!
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 04:49 PM

I'd admit all the "goodies" are nice - when they work!
The more fancy bells and whistles - the more chance stuff will break and cost big $$ to get fixed...
I miss my old vent windows... and I refuse to pay more for a truck that I did for my house.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
And I would opine only fools with money to burn buy new. Even if you can afford to, let some other fool take the hit driving it off the lot.
A couple, three year old vehicles in perfect condition are easily found for way less.

No disrespect to "warrior" but I buy new and IMO that is least costly way. My 2007 is setting in the driveway with about 195,000 miles on it. Everything works as it should and it is ready for another fall hunting & trapping. My newer 2018 with about 7000 miles is also there and it is ready to replace the '07 when needed. I've looked at the numbers many many times and have owned lots of trucks. Buying new and running them forever is the least costly method for me. BTW, save and buy what you afford do not make payments.

For BOCO, next time you need a truck bring your money over to me in the US of A and I'll sell you a truck with pretty much everything on it for a lot less then $100,000. I would have a hard time finding a truck for over $45,000 out the door price (list about $55,000). No diesel needed all they do is cost more and make more noise. FWIW I have had three diesels.
Posted By: jk

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 04:56 PM

i miss my old '97 cheyenne, 350 stick, could go anywhere. AND I could reach into the pickup bed to get things out of it. I need a replacement truck(I did not say NEW) that is useful.......jk

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by ShawneeMan
I'd admit all the "goodies" are nice - when they work!
The more fancy bells and whistles - the more chance stuff will break and cost big $$ to get fixed...
I miss my old vent windows... and I refuse to pay more for a truck that I did for my house.

Buy chevys, my '07 with pretty much everything & 195,000 miles just passed PA inspection after we replaced a fog light. Everything works as it should.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 05:23 PM

I bought a new chevy in 2011 and again in 2014. Both were ZERO interest for 72 months. So that is one advantage over used. But with that said its hard to pay as much for a truck as a farm or house cost. Every time im in for service they try to sell me a new one. Don't like the new body style on a chevy.
Got one question for you kill buck how are you going to let that tailgate down if one of the servo motors quits. Or the battery is dead. THAT will suck because the tail gate is TOTALLY electric. Bad design . Even SUV with electric hatch can be opened manually.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by run

Nothing in Canada is worth as much

Raptors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor

No disrespect to "warrior" but I buy new and IMO that is least costly way. My 2007 is setting in the driveway with about 195,000 miles on it. Everything works as it should and it is ready for another fall hunting & trapping. My newer 2018 with about 7000 miles is also there and it is ready to replace the '07 when needed. I've looked at the numbers many many times and have owned lots of trucks. Buying new and running them forever is the least costly method for me. BTW, save and buy what you afford do not make payments.

For BOCO, next time you need a truck bring your money over to me in the US of A and I'll sell you a truck with pretty much everything on it for a lot less then $100,000. I would have a hard time finding a truck for over $45,000 out the door price (list about $55,000). No diesel needed all they do is cost more and make more noise. FWIW I have had three diesels.

My 2007 that I paid cash for as a two year old with 40k on the odometer and still under warranty is also sitting in the driveway. Unfortunately with a busted transmission though it did make it to 252k. Paid 20k for it.
Currently shopping for its replacement. There's a deal out there if you're willing to be patient. Most folks can't go 48 hours without wheels and sign on the line in a panic.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 05:52 PM

First new vehicle for me was in 88.
Owned about 15 or so since then.Only one of them was used and I regretted that buy.I keep the ones I like for 10 or more years,and some I have sold after 5 or so and bought new again.
I look after stuff and keep it well maintained-always sold my used vehicles for real good money.I would never trade in to a dealer-get way more for a good vehicle private sale.I always pay to get them detailed and after hanging a sale sign they sell in a few days.People like used vehicles that look new.
Last one I sold was my 03 ford f-150 with 300 km on it for $6500.00.Think I paid around $25,000 for it in 03.
Bought the brand new 2017 for $40,000.
WAY cheaper to buy new.
And the new vehicles are 10 times more reliable than the older ones.I have owned a LOT of vehicles in my life and I know of which I speak.
One other thing-Only a couple times I have taken a loan to buy a vehicle,and then it was for a short term and only for about 1\4 of the cost of the vehicle.Other than that when I was starting out,I have made payments to myself and bought new vehicles cash.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 06:19 PM

98% of the vehicles on the road look used to me.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 06:45 PM

Owned about 15 or so since then.Only one of them was used and I regretted that buy.I keep the ones I like for 10 or more years,and some I have sold after 5 or so and bought new again.

I look after stuff and keep it well maintained-always sold my used vehicles for real good money.I would never trade in to a dealer-get way more for a good vehicle private sale.I always pay to get them detailed and after hanging a sale sign they sell in a few days.People like used vehicles that look new.
Last one I sold was my 03 ford f-150 with 300 km on it for $6500.00.Think I paid around $25,000 for it in 03.
WAY cheaper to buy new.
And the new vehicles are 10 times more reliable than the older ones.I have owned a LOT of vehicles in my life and I know of which I speak.
One other thing-Only a couple times I have taken a loan to buy a vehicle,and then it was for a short term and only for about 1\4 of the cost of the vehicle.Other than that when I was starting out,I have made payments to myself and bought new vehicles cash.

Your math does not add up. Buying 15 new vehicles over 31 years would give you a new vehicle about every two years. Not every 5-10 years, unless I am missing something.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 06:55 PM

Even after one year, the price drops drastically. I bought a 2018 Chev with 19,000 miles on it for $14,000 below its sticker price of over $40,000 and it runs perfectly.

IMO, there are two ways to look at buying a slightly used vehicle. First, you could be buying someone else's problems. Or, all the bugs have been worked out before you buy it. In my case, the latter seems to be true.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

WAY cheaper to buy new.

Your math does not add up. Buying 15 new vehicles over 31 years would give you a new vehicle about every two years. Not every 5-10 years, unless I am missing something.

Lol was my thoughts exactly

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 06:58 PM

WAY cheaper to buy new.

That's crazy! I know a guy who has only had 4 trucks since 85 all used. Never paid over 14 for any one of them. If you keep them maintained well and dont abuse them. Used trucks last 5 or 6 years here easily. Stuff must not be well made in Canada. I paid 1500 for the 99 GMC I have now with 130,000 on it and it's been a good truck I have had it for 2 years so far. If it went down tomarrow it has severed it purpose.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 07:02 PM

I buy 10yr old Toyotas with 100,000 miles. A lil front end work an change oil regularly and sell them at 200,000 an only lose 2000$ from purchase price. I can't afford to drive supposedly American made vechicles they will nickle and dime you to death if not under warranty. Granted I have no need for a 1 ton work vechicle (borrow one from work If need) that's the only reason I can see buying Ford or chevy

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 07:06 PM

I guess if you never did do any work on one your self and always took them to the shop then buying new may be cheaper. Most people change there own brakes and oil at least. Can't see how 40 or 50 grand is cheaper unless you keep it 25 years with no major problems.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.

WAY cheaper to buy new.

Yea, I got the same math. At an average of 30000 a vehicle that's a lot of beaver pelts......

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper7

Even after one year, the price drops drastically. I bought a 2018 Chev with 19,000 miles on it for $14,000 below its sticker price of over $40,000 and it runs perfectly.

IMO, there are two ways to look at buying a slightly used vehicle. First, you could be buying someone else's problems. Or, all the bugs have been worked out before you buy it. In my case, the latter seems to be true.

I bought my 2018 Chevy new in December of 2018 for about $10,000 below its sticker price. Don't remember the exact numbers, Z71 crew cab. For me the used stuff is to high priced. I should have waited. Now they have a new 2018 at $10,759 below sticker. BTW, when you go in with a check book you can always do a few hundred better. First new truck 1977.

https://www.quigleychevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/new-2018-Chevrolet-Silverado_1500-Crew_Cab_Short_Box_4_Wheel_Drive_LT_Z71-Bally-PA/3364816533?cs:o=248748860

Click this
Posted By: taser

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 09:33 PM

bought my first "new" truck in 2015 gmc sierra...…….no regrets will never go back to used. To the OP...…..congrats on your new purchase.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 10:17 PM

Guess I should have clarified I usually have 2 vehicles at any one time and the wife has one.
Just bought the wife a new Toyota rav,and gave her 13 honda crv to out daughter.
Just gave my 09 ranger to my son.
Now we only have 2 new vehicles at home now,my 17 f-150 and the 19 rav.
I'll probably buy a new one next year(maybe a Tacoma or one of the new rangers) and keep the old 17 for trapping.I pretty much have 2 of everything.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/18/19 10:37 PM

Guess I should have clarified I usually have 2 vehicles at any one time and the wife has one.
Just bought the wife a new Toyota rav,and gave her 13 honda crv to out daughter.
Just gave my 09 ranger to my son.
Now we only have 2 new vehicles at home now,my 17 f-150 and the 19 rav.
I'll probably buy a new one next year(maybe a Tacoma or one of the new rangers) and keep the old 17 for trapping.I pretty much have 2 of everything.

How far apart do you keep your two wives?
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/19/19 02:03 AM

I'm venturing a wild guess that you have never been to divorce court.
Killbuck got off easy.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/19/19 02:32 AM

You can buy a house or two here in Williams for that money.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/19/19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by run
98% of the vehicles on the road look used to me.

100% of vehicles on the road are USED!!!!!!

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/19/19 05:59 PM

Thanks, jbyrd.
Posted By: hippie

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/19/19 06:10 PM

I can't imagine dropping 50k on something thats only job is to haul my a-- down the road.

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/19/19 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
I can't imagine dropping 50k on something thats only job is to haul my a-- down the road.

I agree. You're funny.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: $50500.00 U joint - 06/20/19 02:50 AM

I Buy used. 3-5 year old trucks with 50-100k miles.

A thorough inspection by my regular mechanic usually determines 1-3 grand in repairs and general maintenance. From that point on, I'm driving a reliable trouble-free rig for 200-300k miles.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums