Home

House cat issue

Posted By: snowy

House cat issue - 06/19/19 02:25 PM

I beleive I have had this question up before but I have an issue with a neighbors cat that sheets in my yard. A motion light works but I would need a lot of them to cover a large area. Has anyone got a solution for deterring this cat from coming in my yard? I'm not interested in killing it, and they are the people that wouldn't do anything about it, and it may get worse if I say something.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 02:35 PM

Live trap it and bring it to the animal shelter.
Posted By: ShawneeMan

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sprung&Rusty

My thought as well.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 02:54 PM

Dig a 3x3 hole fill it with sand . Get a sand box scoop to clean it once in a while. Squirt a little fox pee in it to get fluffy started using it
Posted By: tlguy

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 03:23 PM

To expand on Danny's idea, make sure when you clean it you fling it into the neighbor's yard. Extra points if you can land it in their vegetable garden or driveway.
Posted By: warrior

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 03:25 PM

Trap it and dose it with a little skunk squill.

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 03:27 PM

Great ideas. I will see what I can get accomplished and yet be impeccable as possible.
Posted By: k snow

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 03:43 PM

Why do people think it's okay for their cats to wander all over, pooping and killing at will. At the same time these people scream bloody murder when a dog so much as looks onto their property. If there is no collar, its a wild cat in my book.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 03:51 PM

I like the live trap & skunk it idea. If you 22 it they will just get another.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 04:56 PM

I would ask the nearest dog and see what he thinks.
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 04:59 PM

that was my thoughts buy a Airedale mine loves to hear those kittys crunch!
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 05:02 PM

The glory in taking them to the local shelter they have them spayed and neutered, So at least you wont be dealing with all its offspring as well. If its a kill shelter your not the bad guy
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 06:23 PM

Once those jokers go wild they can be a pain in the butt to catch. The managers down here love to see feral cats being caught. Those jokers are serious killers!
Posted By: adam m

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 06:57 PM

I like the cage and skunk idea.

In the past I have seen some on here who has mentioned using motioned activated sprinklers. That would easily cover a large yard
Posted By: BvrRtrvr

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 07:13 PM

What about using 1 or 2 of those motion activated yard sprinklers?
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 07:29 PM

Our cats sheet in the stalls if we leave the doors open. We tried everything. If you have some ammonia and you see it squirt ammonia on it and it will freak out and run off. If you get it its face they flop around some and take off. It's just going to smell like strong cat pee to the neighbors. It will think twice about coming back but it will.

We catch strays and take them to the local shelter. People adopt them .

It's rude to let your animals do that. The neighbors two black labs decided they wanted to crap in our yard. They live 1/4 mile away along our driveway. I spread a load of horse manure along the edge of the field. I didn't know they liked to eat it. It's a funny thing to because now the people don't seem to want them coming over.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 08:36 PM

COSTWAY Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Repellent- https://www.amazon.com/Scarecrow-Mo...mp;psc=1&refRID=VWKDXQ1BNMN1N0A34E3S

Havahart 5270 Spray Away Motion Activated Sprinkler Animal Repellent- https://www.amazon.com/Havahart-527...ent/dp/B01C470P06/ref=dp_ob_title_garden
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 08:46 PM

Cats have more rights than people. some people think it's OK to let them out and become a nuisance to others and to wildlife. I would live trap it and pour fox lure or skunk essence on it before release.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 09:00 PM

X2
Posted By: BigBob

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 09:28 PM

No help if they go there and claim it, however the fee's will get old quick.
Trap and Quill would work best as the cat will get it's fill of that quick, and like the above so will the owners.
Pellet rifle or paint ball gun
Posted By: beachcomber13

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 10:03 PM

Live trap it and scare the heck out of it by shaking him up real good in the trap. Let that cat see and smell you so he will avoid you in the future.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 10:20 PM

It might avoid you, but the yard will still be attractive, Pellet Rifle has kept Cat's and Pigeons away from my yard/bird feeders for quite few years.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: House cat issue - 06/19/19 11:36 PM

I like the way you think BB. Why would you want to spend money on a sprinkler set up, that's just going to move the problem on to someone else.
They obviously aren't to concerned about fluffy or he wouldn't be free roaming.
Posted By: Zim

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 02:35 AM

I have no desire for cats on my property. If they are here, they are feral as my nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away.
Over the years quite a few have came and I guess you could say they are still here.

Zim

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Zim
I have no desire for cats on my property. If they are here, they are feral as my nearest neighbor is a quarter mile away.
Over the years quite a few have came and I guess you could say they are still here.

Zim

I understand. Lol
Posted By: wildflights

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 02:43 AM

Trap it, have it spayed then dose it with skunk quill before turning it loose. They'll think fluffy had a rough night on the town.

Or dig the 3x3 litterbox and add the cat before the sand.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 02:44 AM

this , they get the privilege of paying to get it back.

and you can't get in trouble for harassing , hurting or miss treating the cat.
Posted By: huntrap247

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 11:24 AM

This problem reminds me of my Grandma. The neighbors cat used to come over and sheet in her flowerbeds. Well one day she was apparently a little more perturbed than normal, and while cleaning it out she gave it a good healthy fling back into their yard.

She watched it sail back, and proceed to stick to the side of their house!

Sorry, not sure if that helped her problem or not.
Posted By: Muskrat

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 11:32 AM

SSS
Posted By: Ditchdiver

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Muskrat
SSS

×2
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 01:10 PM

I call them incidentals down here...just report K9 or Feline to the manager.
Posted By: coonman220

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 08:14 PM

I have 2 male cats that never go out house, there are or were some huge cats on far long block from me. I could see across backyard, only 1 I c now. I don't care if craps on my lawn, I would feed it but to scary, ppl are not nice to cats around here. I like cats much better than dogs. I never harm a cat, but my feelings towards some humans I know , are quite different
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 08:34 PM

Build a wall....and make the neighbors pay for it.
Posted By: Boco

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 08:40 PM

Spray some turpentine on its arsehole.Or hit it with a water cannon.
Posted By: Diggerman

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 09:06 PM

Give the tomcat a gender reassignment
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: House cat issue - 06/20/19 10:07 PM

Have a poker game for your friends with pickups. Live traps in the bed of each. Let them take care of the problem. No one sees a thing.
Posted By: K52

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 12:16 AM

Put a live trap in the back of your pickup parked where the neighbor can't see what's in the back. Put a can of the cheapest tuna fish in there and a dab of castor doesn't hurt either. Nothing but a cat will get in there and get up and leave with cat before daylight. No ones none the wiser, deal with the cat however you wish, but I never have to catch the same cat twice.
Posted By: Zim

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by Boco
Spray some turpentine on its arsehole.Or hit it with a water cannon.

Boco, this brings back memories from my young and formative years when I learned the fine art of turpentining a cat.
This was passed along from my Grandpa Ed who had gained fame by bayoneting Germans in World War 1.
Because of this he was appointed Commander of our local Legion Hall where I had access to several 1903 Springfield's when I was about the same height as one.
We many times took one home and used the blanks that were reserved for memorial services, reloaded them with rock salt
and used them for effect when turpentine was scarce.

Zim
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 01:24 AM

My dad's neighbor has about 30 cats that she just let's run loose, they aggravated my dad to death til he finally had to set some live traps and thin them out, I live another 500 yds away and they started coming around my place 6 months ago, and I broke out the kids red rider BB gun and it didnt take long to yeach them that they were not welcome there. I hate cats
Posted By: Wild_Idaho

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 01:56 AM

My old neighbor's cat stopped coming into my yard a while back when it wandered over and my Deutsch Kurzhaar, Tygh was outside. It never came back again - or left. So moral of the story? Get a bird dog.

PS Danny and warrior's ideas are the best ones yet.

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by K52
Put a live trap in the back of your pickup parked where the neighbor can't see what's in the back. Put a can of the cheapest tuna fish in there and a dab of castor doesn't hurt either. Nothing but a cat will get in there and get up and leave with cat before daylight. No ones none the wiser, deal with the cat however you wish, but I never have to catch the same cat twice.

Now that maybe just what I will do. Lol
Posted By: Duckstick80

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 04:48 AM

I battle this on a daily basis. I drove into town tonight and there were five cats on main Street. I counted eight more on a four block drive from there to my house. There were two in my yard when I pulled in. Across town at my mom's house there are four or five cats in her yard every day.

I shot a sick looking skunk at 9:30 am last weekend that was in my yard. It walked up to a running vehicle and wandered around it. I called the city and told them to have it tested and make sure these cats have shots. They did nothing. That was the last straw for me. I'm going to the city counsel meeting and telling those ASPCA donators they can fix it or I'll do it my way! The county sheriff already told me I won't be getting any charges!

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Duckstick80
I battle this on a daily basis. I drove into town tonight and there were five cats on main Street. I counted eight more on a four block drive from there to my house. There were two in my yard when I pulled in. Across town at my mom's house there are four or five cats in her yard every day.

I shot a sick looking skunk at 9:30 am last weekend that was in my yard. It walked up to a running vehicle and wandered around it. I called the city and told them to have it tested and make sure these cats have shots. They did nothing. That was the last straw for me. I'm going to the city counsel meeting and telling those ASPCA donators they can fix it or I'll do it my way! The county sheriff already told me I won't be getting any charges!

Big mistake, IMO. Do that and you'll be blamed for anyone's missing cat from that point forward. H E double toothpicks hath no fury like a cat lover missing her cat. You'll truly be sorry.

Deal with it privately and quietly.

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 11:28 AM

And here's another reason to go undercover. This fella may be all done hunting, permanently.

In this morning's paper. Story makes it sound like he's got a couple screws loose, but the point is he's been charged with a felony.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 12:03 PM

Yep everyone wants to give you advice about how to deal with this issue..I say be as discrete and legal as you can. I speak from experience when I tell you.. Unless If you want to get hate mail from world wide and possible death threats.. Keep it all low key as possible.. Cat crowd is a big lobby and most are a bit nuts..

Mac
Posted By: Duckstick80

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 12:56 PM

And here's another reason to go undercover. This fella may be all done hunting, permanently.

In this morning's paper. Story makes it sound like he's got a couple screws loose, but the point is he's been charged with a felony.

[Linked Image]

This guy killed the family pet in anger. What do you think getting caught shooting someone's pet with a BB gun will get you? I know the sheriff and grew up with the state's attorney. They both said removing nuisance animals wasn't illegal on your own property. And I'm going to tell the city that they can either pass a rabies/distemper shot law for cats, make the owners collar them with a shot tag or I'll bring everyone I catch without it to the humane society 50 miles away. If the owners want them back they can pay the rehoming fee and keep paying it until they collar it with a tag. I'm sure the humane society would like the same owner getting their cat multiple times. It would show great care on their end lol

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 01:26 PM

If you go the counsel, and nothing gets done, I would be very careful how you handle the cat issue going forward. It maybe best to live trap them and then do your thing. Have you read the post on the live cage in back of the pickup. Very incognito and non conspicuous would be the way I would go. I do understand your frustration.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 01:40 PM

Big mistake, IMO. Do that and you'll be blamed for anyone's missing cat from that point forward. H E double toothpicks hath no fury like a cat lover missing her cat. You'll truly be sorry.

Deal with it privately and quietly.

Exactly right!
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 01:45 PM

When Miss Kitty starts climbing on an scratching auto finish this goes to a whole new level.
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 03:35 PM

When I became a NWCO the man who issued our licenses from the Oklahoma department of wildlife told us that killing a domestic cat or dog regardless of where it was or if it appeared to be feral was a felony in our state and should be avoided at all costs. He said the accepted way of dealing with a cat or dog that was incidentally caught was to take it to the local shelter and let them deal with it. Laws may be different in other states but it may be something to look into before getting very public about killing cats. I hate cats with a passion and would hate to lose my right to bear arms as well as my NWCO license over a worthless cat!

Re: House cat issue - 06/21/19 04:00 PM

Well, have at it Duckstick80. I wish you well.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums