Home

October caught wyoming yote value

Posted By: cathryn

October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 05:03 PM

most guys on here have said that there's no value in them..
Jerry just averaged 104.00 each on his early caught Oct yotes..oct 1-15.....(not bad for some blue yotes huh? smile

please don't say the same yotes would have been 150 if they were caught later... that can't be proven.

he's on cloud 9. he worked his nuts off during the bad market years and kept trapping and its finally paying off.

Josh Adams from arkansas.. shoot me a pm if your interested in targeting yotes again this fall..or give Jerry a call.
Posted By: kansaskoons

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 05:14 PM

I had the privilege of seeing a a top lot western heavy bobcat caught in a coyote set the day bobcat season opened in Wyoming. That cat couldn’t have been worth more if caught in January! People don’t know, what they don’t know! I’ve read in print of two western trappers pelting in September. Had another one say it out loud.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 05:23 PM

the same yotes by December are going down hill . our experience is theyre the first species to break.

his October yotes always grade really well
he has NEVER had a section 3 wyoming yote and never traps them past Oct 20
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 05:44 PM

That is very interesting. What elevation is he trapping at in October. I'm assuming high up, before the snow hits.

Does he pelt everything he catches in October, including the pups.

Thanks.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 05:55 PM

Dang I bet he could get 35 bucks each out of ky caught coon. He seems to get the best prices out of everything he sells. Must have the top lot on every species and every pelt.............

Congrats to him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 05:57 PM

Hey post a pic of some of his sales receipts they need to be framed or enshrined or something......................
Posted By: red mt

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 06:20 PM

Nicely done catching the market just right.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Hey post a pic of some of his sales receipts they need to be framed or enshrined or something......................

hey why dont you KMA.?????????

or as my aunt would say.. my aunt fannys eyeball??
I aint gotta prove scat to you or anyone else on here. especially you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.hes the best at what he does.

if you dont like my posts block me..or maybe im banned..eitherway..suck it.

and people wonder why no one wants to post much anymore.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 06:33 PM

AND he ought to know since charlie Dobbins taught him.

Posted By: The Beav

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 06:33 PM

Groney tells us that Oct caught yotes are right up there with the best. I know several trappers that start In the middle of Oct. In ND and have $80.00 and $90.00 averages.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by cathryn
Originally Posted by jbyrd63

hey why dont you KMA.?????????

or as my aunt would say.. my aunt fannys eyeball??
I aint gotta prove scat to you or anyone else on here. especially you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.hes the best at what he does.

if you dont like my posts block me..or maybe im banned..eitherway..suck it.

and people wonder why no one wants to post much anymore.

lol u go girl.... i like your posts

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 06:43 PM

wissmiss. he skins what he catches.all in
Posted By: J. Brooks

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 06:44 PM

Congrats to your BF!

That time of year can produce some dandies. I usually kill a few while antelope hunting (early October) in eastern Montana and some are pretty nice others pretty flat. When hair is actively growing everyday can make a difference. The coyotes in the pics were all taken on opening day of antelope season the last three years (first week of October). Some of the pups are pretty weak furred and didn't bring much. Most of the adults blended in pretty well with an average October-Nov collection. What can kill the early stuff is the percentage that go semi-heavy and the size of some of the pups. They are still actively growing too. I traditionally start buying unskinned coyotes around the third week of October but will look at anything killed earlier. Some are surprisingly good, some look better than they actually are.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Not arguing but would be curious if there was any spread between those killed the first week and those killed the last week of his trapline.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 07:00 PM

can't say for sure because they're all sent together.i do know the first one he caught was a monster and beautiful but it was at 10000 feet. all those caught were at 7000 plus feet. start high early and work ypur way down
. when I caught my wyoming yotes a few years ago we got 78 for them at NAFA
Posted By: trappertom222

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 07:09 PM

Jerry just averaged 104.00 each on his early caught Oct yotes..oct 1-15.....(not bad for some blue yotes huh? smile

please don't say the same yotes would have been 150 if they were caught later... that can't be proven.

And you can't prove that they wouldn't have been worth more.......

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by trappertom222

And you can't prove that they wouldn't have been worth more.......

wasn't trying to.merely pointed out...as stated...that October caught coyotes have value
smile

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 07:15 PM

can't say for sure because they're all sent together.i do know the first one he caught was a monster and beautiful but it was at 10000 feet. all those caught were at 7000 plus feet. start high early and work ypur way down
. when I caught my wyoming yotes a few years ago we got 78 for them at NAFA

Nice. You guys certainly trap at a much different elevation than most of us. The vast majority of the coyotes I kill, buy, and or grade are killed well under 5,000 feet. How much difference that makes I don't know.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 07:23 PM

Schroeder said in the ff and game to trap early October yotes 8000 ft or more and they'd have value

jbrooks..your pics are beautiful
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 07:36 PM

If there was one thing in life I wish I had a better grip on it would be timing. Whether its markets, politics, or religion a lot of the time its not what I do but when I do it. If we always try to follow the consensus of the majority we find find ourselves following and not leading. If you are a farmer and simply follow the norm then this year would prove all norms are wrong. I think if you only work at something a few months a year then what ever you can do to get in more time could be a plus. I've know a few perfectionist that never get any thing done because they are waiting on the perfect time and it never comes. There is no better feeling than making a decision and it be right and reap the rewards of doing so, especially when its against the consensus.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 07:51 PM

I've always thought at times demand means more than prime.If the demand is there in October,but slips in December your December coyotes can bring less than the Octobers.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)
I've always thought at times demand means more than prime.If the demand is there in October,but slips in December your December coyotes can bring less than the Octobers.

A rising tide floats all boats. I was shocked at some prices I got for coyotes killed way late in the season. Some rougher stuff but heavily furred. I couldn't have got those prices the previous year and doubtful I will get them the next sale. Timing often comes down to being more lucky than good. Ask the guys that sent junk to the first Idaho sale smile One thing is for sure, you can't sell what you don't have.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 08:31 PM

It's a given that the market dictates the degree of primness.
Posted By: wallfur

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 08:47 PM

have any of you guys tried to trap coyotes in december in Wyoming? at 10000 feet?10 feet of snow? lol I will take October trapping anyday!!!! some coyotes will grade semi but catching 100 coyotes with ease compared to maybe 10 coyotes in December fighting the elements for a lot less coyotes....... no brainer there!!! ......100 coyotes at 60 average = 6000 dollars and 10 coyotes at 150 average is 1500 dollars and those numbers are based on personal experience trapping wyo!
Posted By: spjones

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 09:12 PM

It’s been stated on here many times by the experts. Elevation plays no part in fur primness. Lol!!

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by wallfur
have any of you guys tried to trap coyotes in december in Wyoming? at 10000 feet?10 feet of snow? lol I will take October trapping anyday!!!! some coyotes will grade semi but catching 100 coyotes with ease compared to maybe 10 coyotes in December fighting the elements for a lot less coyotes....... no brainer there!!! ......100 coyotes at 60 average = 6000 dollars and 10 coyotes at 150 average is 1500 dollars and those numbers are based on personal experience trapping wyo!

That's my point here as well.Ever since I got into this game I've heard guys say the same thing,never trap until their prime.Our coyote are probably at their best in December.I'll take trapping numbers and Indian Summer weather in October anytime over so called prime coyotes in the blizzards and subzero cold of December.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/21/19 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by wallfur

I work for an Ag Lender. When I first started one of the grumpy old loan officers said "never loan money to an agronomist, they can grow it perfectly but rarely profitably". Sounds like you got that figured out smile
Posted By: Furvor

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 04:12 AM

In December 1981 or 1982 (in the fur boom) I was trapping in Southeast Arizona. A guy came into the area and introduced himself as Dan Bishop from New York. He said he was mostly just vacationing because he had done so well trapping fox in Wyoming. He said trapping in Wyoming was easy because everything came to the water. Something he said caused me to ask: "You were trapping fox in September?" He replied "I was trapping them in August." I said "August?" He said "Don't knock it. I averaged $20 apiece on them." I asked who paid $20 for August fox. He said he shipped all his fur to a guy in New York.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 04:20 AM

That sounds like a story,not on your part,on his.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 04:37 AM

back around that time early caught fox was in demand..(.because of the short hair mink look they have at that time)...mink were 110 dollars ..fox was 20 and the Chinese tried to substitute fox for mink.....lol that fashion didn't last long but yes I do remember that.
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 04:40 AM

Wish you and your friend well , Keep on doing it your way !
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Furvor
In December 1981 or 1982 (in the fur boom) I was trapping in Southeast Arizona. A guy came into the area and introduced himself as Dan Bishop from New York. He said he was mostly just vacationing because he had done so well trapping fox in Wyoming. He said trapping in Wyoming was easy because everything came to the water. Something he said caused me to ask: "You were trapping fox in September?" He replied "I was trapping them in August." I said "August?" He said "Don't knock it. I averaged $20 apiece on them." I asked who paid $20 for August fox. He said he shipped all his fur to a guy in New York.

I knew Dan and it really sounds like him , The old Q tip in the butt was a secret set of his .
Posted By: Furvor

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 05:07 AM

start high early and work ypur way down

March 1, 1979 on my way back to Idaho I stopped and visited at season end with cat trapper Mel Hershberger at his home in Phoenix. He mentioned that he usually started at high elevation but in that season he had started low because of so many hunters up high. He said he was very pleased with the way starting low worked out.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 06:24 AM

Nice, did good for pink belly coyotes
Posted By: wy.wolfer

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 03:24 PM

Not disputing you at all, it's just difficult to understand how early October Wyoming coyotes could average $104.00 and nothing in there caught after Oct. 15th.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/22/19 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Groney tells us that Oct caught yotes are right up there with the best. I know several trappers that start In the middle of Oct. In ND and have $80.00 and $90.00 averages.

About an hour from the canadian border. My mid October coyote are usually semis. They grade as good semis, but they are typically semis at NAFA. Bet my average on October coyote which comprise mainly semis and a couple heavies, is about 70 dollars. The ones that grade heavy are graded as low quality heavies. That 70 dollar figure includes everything caught in that time frame, from the 25 dollar pups to the 90 dollar adults.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/23/19 03:14 PM

AND he ought to know since charlie Dobbins taught him.

Being taught by one of the best only means you may catch more numbers. DOESN'T mean your fur will bring the highest price every time............

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/23/19 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by wy.wolfer
Not disputing you at all, it's just difficult to understand how early October Wyoming coyotes could average $104.00 and nothing in there caught after Oct. 15th.

yes you are lol....

you going to get a cussing
Posted By: Boco

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/23/19 04:23 PM

Coyotes are similar to beaver in todays fur market.Only in reverse.
Prime coyotes don't bring a whole lot more than seconds.
And second grades of beaver don't bring a whole lot less than prime.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/23/19 04:37 PM

Either way, enjoy this market while it lasts. It wont be here forever.

Re: October caught wyoming yote value - 06/23/19 05:18 PM

yup enjoy it....I think we have seen the peak for coyotes or close to it! and there is only one way to go from there!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums