Home

Mulberry time! (w/pics)

Posted By: loosegoose

Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 11:03 AM

It's the time of year for mulberries here. We've got the regular black ones, [Linked Image]
White ones [Linked Image]
And pink ones that I assume are a cross between the blacks and whites. [Linked Image]
The kids go crazy for them. We've got a tree across the street, and the bike trail 2 blocks away is full of them. Their favorite method of harvest... [Linked Image]
The better method of harvest is to lay a sheet out and beat the branches with a stick. All the rip ones fall right off. [Linked Image]
Then just roll the sheet up to gather them up. [Linked Image]
Be warned, stained faces, hands, and feet will occur grin [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RM trapper

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 11:14 AM

Lol, looks like me 3 kids in the blackberries. I don't have any mulberry around me but had a customer from Winston Salem give me a jar of mulberry jelly the other day and it's good stuff. Looks like good times
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 11:14 AM

I’ve got a couple of them. Grandkids like them. Daughter makes a pie with them that is very good. Neighbor kids are at the door pretty regular. Mr Clifton can we pick mulberries? The deer ,red fox ,squirrels , coons, and birds don’t ask.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 11:19 AM

When my kids were still kids i made them some bike tire innertube slingshots. They never shot windows or any thing but did a neighbor girl. My kids were still in grade school neighbor in high school. She was on her porch with her boyfriend and my kids thought it would be fun to shoot mulberries at them. So I had to take slingshots for awhile. Sometimes its hard to discipline kids and not smile and laugh while you do it.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 12:10 PM

I have 17 trees,problem is getting them before everything else does.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 12:24 PM

The coyotes are gorging themselves on them here. Along with everything else. The black ones don't have much flavor here this year but found one that's pink/white that's really sweet.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 12:34 PM

Great pictures. June berry time for me but this season has been very slow for them to ripen, just not enough heat yet. Going today to check on mine again.
Always fun to harvest berry's.

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 01:04 PM

rain last 3 months has ruined the flavor here.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 01:40 PM

Been ripe for a week or two here. Good stuff
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 02:09 PM

Ours have done fallen and gone. Did account for half a dozen possums and a few coons.
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 07:00 PM

One of the strangest things I've seen is a woodchuck about 10' up a mulberry tree filling up on berries.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 07:14 PM

You're daughter looks like she has been making mulberry wine.

The first ripe mulberries always coincided with the last days of school for the summer, when I was your kid's age.

I have been eating mulberries straight of the trees daily, for a few weeks and sour cherries and black raspberries too now.

Keith
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
You're daughter looks like she has been making mulberry wine.

The first ripe mulberries always coincided with the last days of school for the summer, when I was your kid's age.

I have been eating mulberries straight of the trees daily, for a few weeks and sour cherries and black raspberries too now.

Keith

I wish we had more berries here. The only thing we have that's easy to come across are the mulberries, and wild grapes and wild plums in the fall.
Posted By: jhh

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 07:36 PM

Some of the best squirrel hunting and best tasting squirrels come from mulberry trees. Them young squirrels will be plum fat from eating them.

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by jhh
Some of the best squirrel hunting and best tasting squirrels come from mulberry trees. Them young squirrels will be plum fat from eating them.

I counted 16 fox squirrels, mostly only half grown, in 3 mulberry trees that were tall but narrow, growing by my back barn. The berries are all the very tops, because of the shade from the barn and the squirrels bend the thin branches really far.

Keith
Posted By: TONY.F

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/22/19 08:27 PM

No shortage of mulberry trees in misery ! Farmers consider them a nuisance along with locust trees and wildcherrys Never been a big fan of mulberrys. Had a huge tree beside the driveway as a teen the birds painted my old 68 mustang daily! Gramps liked a handful in his cornflakes that was ok I guess! With all the rain black berrys should thrive this year! It hurt the gooseberry crop! That being said ill need a blood transfusion in a few weeks! From picking black berries!

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 01:42 AM

The last bowl of sour cherries of the day.

[Linked Image]

The cherries grow semi-wild in my ditch line, by my capped spring. I probably have over 100 sour cherry trees. They make great pies. I am going to plant the pits and make a more organized, cherry orchard.

If you want to plant some pm me your address and I'll mail you some seeds. It would give your kids something else to enjoy picking and eating. Most of the trees have some cherries their third year, on my farm. They have decent loads, several pies worth, at 5 years.

Keith
Posted By: kenny k

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 02:07 AM

There are good here .The coon love them. 3 come to the mowed yard just to get there fill.

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by KeithC
The last bowl of sour cherries of the day.

[Linked Image]

The cherries grow semi-wild in my ditch line, by my capped spring. I probably have over 100 sour cherry trees. They make great pies. I am going to plant the pits and make a more organized, cherry orchard.

If you want to plant some pm me your address and I'll mail you some seeds. It would give your kids something else to enjoy picking and eating. Most of the trees have some cherries their third year, on my farm. They have decent loads, several pies worth, at 5 years.

Keith

ate a handful the other day,they are ok. I like the mulberries better though
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 12:44 PM

Find a mulberry tree on the river bank and you'll catch a mess of catfish under it when the berries are ripe and falling.
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Find a mulberry tree on the river bank and you'll catch a mess of catfish under it when the berries are ripe and falling.

LOL Only if the carp don't get them first !!! If ya want to have a blast, tie a fly that looks like a mulberry and cast it under the tree with a plop, and hope ya have enough backing on your reel !!! Fun , Fun , Fun
Dennis
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 03:13 PM

Those are some Happy kids!!! grin
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by iaduckhntr
Originally Posted by trapdog1

LOL Only if the carp don't get them first !!! If ya want to have a blast, tie a fly that looks like a mulberry and cast it under the tree with a plop, and hope ya have enough backing on your reel !!! Fun , Fun , Fun
Dennis

True, Dennis. The carp will be there too!
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Mulberry time! (w/pics) - 06/23/19 07:56 PM

Ours are long gone already but the blackberries are coming on strong.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums