Home

Harvest time

Posted By: Pawnee

Harvest time - 06/25/19 01:44 AM

Good news post got me thinking. Wheat is a day or two away. Snacks for the boys and me are ready, plus about 20lbs of ham for sandwiches. Stay safe and hope the yields are good, and the rain stays away.

Attached picture 3462ED74-5429-40F2-9935-6A9AB6728EBA.jpeg
Posted By: bacatrapper

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 01:50 AM

Good luck with your harvest. We got hailed out saturday. It got all the wheat and milo.

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 01:58 AM

Sorry to hear that. We had a lot of families Southwest and Northeast of us get it too. We dodged the bullet again. Is the milo gone or small enough to recover?

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 02:04 AM

The hail was big, the milo is toast, cant see it in the field, it disappeared. We just got done gathering cows today, they were scattered bad, just like a blizzard. Broken windows and windshields, truck mirrors, metal roofs beat flat, not a straight piece of metal on anything that was outside. Its a total loss. We are still finding broken stuff.

The weather service called the hail 'lime sized'. It was the same storm that hit Johnson. The hail path was 11 miles wide. It was a doozy.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 02:07 AM

You need some nutty buddies in that line up.
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 02:33 AM

B4 the last rain a neighbor test cut some that was 15% moisture and 45tw.. very low quality. Wheat looks nasty driving by. Just to much rain
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 02:49 AM

Waiting for dryer ground here then we're off to the races. Wheat looks really good were it didn't drown out but there's a lot that did down out. We'll know more in a day or 2

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 03:23 AM

Flint I hope our wheat has a better test weight than that. Kinda makes me nervous!!

Yes sir, you guys have really got it this year. We were planning on coming back to lake Marion again for our vacation, but our spot is under water. Great town and great people. You picked a good spot to settle down
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 09:08 AM

bacatrapper, I was in CO. Saturday. Hailed pretty good Saturday west of canon where I was. when the storm lifted could see the sangre de cristos were white above timberline. Next day it had either all blown off or melted. Arkansas river is at spring water levels still and water is dirty not clear. Rafters seem happy about it as there were hundreds daily playing in the rough water. Few kayaks as well. I didn't hear of any getting hurt when the hail hit but there it was pea size. Can still see plenty of snow in the high country but I stayed down about 6500 feet. Coming home I took 96 to great bend . Country around Eads has more grass than I ever seen before. Coming in to great bend there were lakes where there didn't use to be any. Went through Osawatomie yesterday and an old cemetery going back to civil war years is underwater.

seems like its either drought or flood last few years. no happy medium.

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pawnee
Flint I hope our wheat has a better test weight than that. Kinda makes me nervous!!

Yes sir, you guys have really got it this year. We were planning on coming back to lake Marion again for our vacation, but our spot is under water. Great town and great people. You picked a good spot to settle down

Thank sir, moved here from McPherson and don't regret it. I enjoy the flinthills and the smaller town. If you ever need anything when your in this part of Ks don't hesitate to look me up.
Posted By: LDW

Re: Harvest time - 06/25/19 02:16 PM

My dad had a harvest crew for 10 years. I went for 3, before the kids came . Really enjoyed it and met some good people. We pulled into Colby KS just before dark and cut 80 acres before it got tough. That night a hailstorm rolled in and completely wiped it out. Has to be a sick feeling for the farmers.

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Thank sir, moved here from McPherson and don't regret it. I enjoy the flinthills and the smaller town. If you ever need anything when your in this part of Ks don't hesitate to look me up.

Will do. I hope to get back there when the water goes down

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 02:00 AM

First test for today was 14%, so we cut a full load and of course the load was 16.5%!! Dang I’ll never learn, so here we sit. mad

Attached picture 3CA76264-BC6F-491F-9662-DED2647A2A9D.jpeg

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 02:20 AM

Surely it'll be rdy by tomorrow. Mowed some ditches an waterways today an under the wheat it still looked greasy. We figure no reason to rut it out for low tw wheat. Try it in couple of days an slam Beans in as soon as it comes off
Posted By: star flakes

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 02:33 AM

First test for today was 14%, so we cut a full load and of course the load was 16.5%!! Dang I’ll never learn, so here we sit. mad

Your weather for the next week is 90 plus degree heat with 70 degree nights. Not even a chance of rain on Monday. Have a beer and chill as God is going sending you harvest weather.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 03:23 AM

Good luck with your harvest, 90s temps here with no rain its hay madness lol. Wheat mostly out in my area with beans drilled back in
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 03:37 AM

Wheat here will go end of the week...barring more rain. Quality is a concern with all this rain and more undoubtedly still to come. Hay got mowed today. Everybody got fingers crossed. I got a field a corn may be too tall to side dress but we’ll see late afternoon or next day.
Posted By: Mike C

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 04:13 AM

Explain to a non-farmer the significance between 14% and 16.5%

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 04:20 AM

The elevator generally wants wheat at 15% moisture. If its wetter than that they dock you, and pay you less a bushel. They can blend it just fine, with dryer wheat, its just another way for them to stick you.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 04:35 AM

I hope your conditions improve soon. Good luck with your harvest.

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 04:42 AM

Cut sample here , it was in the 12s with 60.5 test wait. Monitor showed in the 80 bushel/ acre. Ground too soft yet though.

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 04:46 AM

Sounds like its ready to go, at 12 and 60.5 tw. That 80 b/a sounds pretty good, go get it.

smile

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 04:48 AM

Just looked at radar....... we are minutes away from getting really wet again.....
Posted By: run

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 10:42 AM

Our wheat price is $4.67 per bushel.

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Mike C

Grain will keep much longer under 15% moisture bagged or in a bin. Stored grain tends to heat up initially, combined with high moisture can lead to mold issues. That’s the reasoning.
Too dry and it becomes brittle resulting in mechanical damage from machinery/augers etc.

There is a sweet spot 12-15%. Some folks like to take it a lil wet and forced air dry in the bin. This also cools it down overnight/nights
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 12:33 PM

Been on (PYO) strawberry acreage for the last 5 days. The crop Is absolutely unbelievable. If the weather doesn't get to hot we may get another 14 or so .

Re: Harvest time - 06/26/19 12:45 PM

.8 in rain overnight.. the wait continues

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 03:00 AM

We are finally rolling today. Humidity is high so we won’t be running late tonight

Attached picture EE476547-DD82-4C93-997A-D2BDA92933A6.jpeg

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
Originally Posted by Mike C

Grain will keep much longer under 15% moisture bagged or in a bin. Stored grain tends to heat up initially, combined with high moisture can lead to mold issues. That’s the reasoning.
Too dry and it becomes brittle resulting in mechanical damage from machinery/augers etc.

There is a sweet spot 12-15%. Some folks like to take it a lil wet and forced air dry in the bin. This also cools it down overnight/nights

Yep, COOP starts docking use real hard above 13.5% moisture. They have to keep air to it so it doesn’t heat up, and they don’t want to buy water. Plus the higher the moisture the lower the test weight per bushel.

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 09:54 AM

Pawnee,What is your current wheat price? I trust you don't mind me asking.

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 10:54 AM

It’s been bouncing around in the $4.30 range lately.
Posted By: TreedaBlackdog

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 11:46 AM

Stripper heads?

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 04:37 PM

No go here, ground too muddy. Plan is start late tomorrow afternoon on 2 small fields were the weeds are CV coming and hopefully wind it up to full speed Saturday

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
Stripper heads?

Yes we run 2 32' Shelbournes. The 3rd combine has a 36' flex draper and cuts by itself
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 05:07 PM

Pawnee you guys must have a pretty big operation running three combines. Glad the weather is cooperating and your getting to cut. I’d say they will be starting here within the next week

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 05:36 PM

pulled in across the road from my house last night - by the time I get home likely soybeans will be planted - they don't mess around, take the wheat off and plant directly behind the combine

wheat down the road has clover under it - combining it Friday and baling the straw off it

Re: Harvest time - 06/27/19 08:40 PM

[Linked Image]
Giving it a try
Posted By: Jacks

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 01:17 AM

Pawnee

What’s better the Draper head or the stripper head? Those stripper heads look fast

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Jacks
Pawnee

What’s better the Draper head or the stripper head? Those stripper heads look fast

I can’t answer that honestly. This is the first year with a flex Draper, and he has the spreaders off making windrows for cattle bedding this coming winter. I think he could run with them if he wasn’t. I’ll know more in a few days

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 03:54 AM

I am curious as well, I have never seen anything except a reel, can u harvest faster with the drapers or does it prevent ground loss, not being nosy just curious as to the benefit. I know practices are different in different areas, and I have never been to Kansas.

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 03:56 AM

Good luck flint hill fur. We are bouncing from one end of the county to the other looking for dry wheat

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by JOCO1995
I am curious as well, I have never seen anything except a reel, can u harvest faster with the drapers or does it prevent ground loss, not being nosy just curious as to the benefit. I know practices are different in different areas, and I have never been to Kansas.

If a reel is cutting at 3mph a Draper or stripper is probably running at 5-6mph

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 04:02 AM

10/4

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 10:37 AM

Couldn’t help but notice the pig feeder. We got a few around here.

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 07:16 PM

First semi load headed for town

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
First semi load headed for town

Good deal. Hope it goes well. I’m stuck furrowing the last of the corn. It’s so tall I’m having to drive 1.5mph so it doesn’t snap. It’s giving me a stomach ache sick after this I get to lay irrigation pipe in 100 degree weather. I’m actually looking forward to that, because I won’t be on here!!

Attached picture 1B60730C-228F-474D-A6BC-0C5E91443628.jpeg

Re: Harvest time - 06/28/19 10:12 PM

Our corn is tasling

Re: Harvest time - 06/29/19 12:21 AM

Well grain was dry yesterday but ground wasn't rdy. Duals were full by the second pass. We got corn tasseled down to the replant that is a foot and yellow. Wonder how much N is left over after the river being on it 3 different times.

Re: Harvest time - 06/29/19 03:50 AM

I can’t believe you guys have corn that mature! I thought the whole state was like us from all the rain. My biggest corn won’t tassel for 3 weeks! Our test weights are good. How about you guys?

Re: Harvest time - 06/29/19 04:00 AM

Dont listen to ag radio, its all doom and gloom. The feed we drilled in our hailed out wheat is coming up. I recon well pasture all the neighbors cows.

Life goes on. Its better then working in town, they wouldnt have us anyway. I have met pawnee he could work in town, the rest of us no way.

Good for you boys, get your grain!
Posted By: jarrett

Re: Harvest time - 06/30/19 11:29 AM

Our test weights were running 62.7 to 63.9 yesterday moisture was between 10-11%. Protein was only around 10.3

Re: Harvest time - 06/30/19 11:35 AM

ran the last two days - 58.8 and 59.8 test weights - fields averaged 65.4 bushel - local coop price $5/bu

finished baling the straw yesterday and put up 420 small squares as well - people are too lazy to come get $2 bales of straw from the field....
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Harvest time - 06/30/19 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bushmaster
I hope your conditions improve soon. Good luck with your harvest.

2X Pray'n and hope'n for the best for everyone.

Re: Harvest time - 06/30/19 12:48 PM

Test weights 56 to 60 here. Fields yielding 40 to 80. Monitor running from 19 to 110 bushels to the acre in same field depending on were all the water stood and were it drained well. We hooked a post with one combine last night and tore up the feeder housing....
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Harvest time - 06/30/19 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
ran the last two days - 58.8 and 59.8 test weights - fields averaged 65.4 bushel - local coop price $5/bu

finished baling the straw yesterday and put up 420 small squares as well - people are too lazy to come get $2 bales of straw from the field....

I wish I could find Straw that cheap. Got a bale last week for $7.00

Re: Harvest time - 07/02/19 10:00 PM

Not a good way to start the afternoon. Nothing like watching 80 bushel wheat go up in smoke mad

Attached picture 7ECA9E15-6867-4ECD-8603-46A128291879.jpeg
Attached picture F13BB1AD-479B-41DF-B861-3D586503F7ED.jpeg

Re: Harvest time - 07/02/19 10:09 PM

What happened? We are about 2 hrs from finishing here.

Re: Harvest time - 07/02/19 10:27 PM

Had straw buildup inside a sheld on new Draper header. Told my brother Probably should start looking at that everyday lol

Re: Harvest time - 07/02/19 11:54 PM

Nothing hotter then a wheat fire. Thank goodness the wind was right or we would have lost 60 acres

Attached picture CCE73D2D-F79A-4F2C-A856-03CA82C6DE62.jpeg

Re: Harvest time - 07/04/19 12:34 AM

Ttt.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums