Home

Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons

Posted By: Mike in A-town

Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 08:17 PM

As of July 25 it will be legal to lose money year round!

Mike
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 08:21 PM

There is one guy holding up the progress for the rest of the things that need to be changed. Hopefully soon thing will get lined out.

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Matt28
There is one guy holding up the progress for the rest of the things that need to be changed. Hopefully soon thing will get lined out.

Matt, I hope so too.

Mike
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 08:28 PM

It's a step in the right direction I think. I just hope that by letting the wildlife department be in control of rule and law changes dont back fire on down the road. Some people were really up set about that

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 08:31 PM

Yes, it could very well come back to bite us. But I guess we'll use it the best we can while we can.

Mike
Posted By: Aaron Proffitt

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 08:40 PM

Funniest thread ever...
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 09:07 PM

Boy I'm gonna get rich this winter! grin but it is a positive step I think. I know in my area the coon population is at record numbers.
Posted By: OKforester

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 10:10 PM

It won’t affect the coon population until prices come back up significantly. If that by some miracle happens and the population begins to suffer then the wildlife dept can put a season back on. About all it’s going to do is let a few people legally take coons getting in their deer feeders and maybe a coon hunter shoot a few out to train dogs with.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 10:13 PM

We pound them hard here and the same places I see coons running around come the spring turkey season!
Posted By: tjm

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 10:16 PM

It ought to be easy to limit out in 12 months, what is 10 coons per year?

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/25/19 10:27 PM

Actually they removed the bag limits on coon last year.
Posted By: Cameron Kelsey

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/26/19 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by OKforester
Actually they removed the bag limits on coon last year.

Good to hear. One step at a time.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/26/19 12:38 AM

you need to develop a meet market.

get a dozen younger coons and get cooking making tasty recipes and start serving it around get folks interested.

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/26/19 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

get a dozen younger coons and get cooking making tasty recipes and start serving it around get folks interested.

I’ve tried eating coon and just can’t do it. It tastes just like they smell when you are skinning them. Can’t get past it.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/26/19 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I’ve tried eating coon and just can’t do it. It tastes just like they smell when you are skinning them. Can’t get past it.

I tried it once , young female par boiled then cooked , it reminded me of turkey legs.

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/26/19 10:36 PM

I’ve tried eating coon and just can’t do it. It tastes just like they smell when you are skinning them. Can’t get past it. [/quote]

I tried it once , young female par boiled then cooked , it reminded me of turkey legs.
[/quote]

At least you didn’t say it tasted like chicken.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/26/19 11:02 PM

More hot sauce
Posted By: Actor

Re: Oklahoma lifts season on raccoons - 06/27/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Davisfur
Boy I'm gonna get rich this winter! grin but it is a positive step I think. I know in my area the coon population is at record numbers.

That is funny …. and I just had this conversation with a friend that hadn't trapped for about 5 or 6 years. He told me the other day, he was going to buy some new traps (He sold all of his to me when he quit before). I asked him what changed his mind. he said that he was seeing dead coon on the roads everywhere and figured this would be a good year to clean up and make a little money on the side. I asked him how much he was getting for an averaged sized, good fur quality coon when he quit. He said $12 to $15 dollars. I asked, if he had followed coon prices the last 3 years and he responded, No!

I told him ... well, if a good coon might bring $3 to $5 … if you skin, flesh and stretch it. He said, he wanted to sell them whole. Me: … don't have any buyers around here and if you find one they might give you a buck or two, for really large, Well furred coon. Then he asked, if he got a couple places to trap beaver, and trap together … I Would find the place …. I would furnish the traps and lure, skin, flesh and stretch the hides and split the profit down the middle … NO! …. was my response … Not for probably $5 ….

He said … He would have to think about it. …

Nothing for me to think about.

Garry-
© 2024 Trapperman Forums