Home

Your dogs food and heart disease

Posted By: Ray B

Your dogs food and heart disease - 06/29/19 05:43 PM

FDA Investigation into Potential Link between Certain Diets and Canine Dilated Cardiomyopathy

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...nd-canine-dilated-cardiomyopathy?sfns=mo
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 06/29/19 05:49 PM

Looks like the cheap stuff is better then the spendy stuff!
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 06/29/19 05:56 PM

We have an Aussie and he eats Fromm, looks like he is in the middle of the charts.

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 06/29/19 06:01 PM

Mine gets Blue Buffalo so that must be why she got so fat! LOL So now I have someone to blame.
Posted By: charles

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 06/29/19 06:07 PM

Animal nutrition doctor told me 3 of fist 5 ingredients should be meat, and no grain at all. Did it and my dog quit scratching.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 06/29/19 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Mine gets Blue Buffalo so that must be why she got so fat! LOL So now I have someone to blame.

Yeah Our Aussie Ranger is only 2 years old and he's pretty chunky!! LOL
Posted By: run

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 06/30/19 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by charles
Animal nutrition doctor told me 3 of fist 5 ingredients should be meat, and no grain at all. Did it and my dog quit scratching.

Sounds good to me.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 03:54 AM

I get Diamond naturals, rice n lamb or rice n beef, ratings are good on diamond
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 02:56 PM

Was feeding our dogs the better Purina One dog food a couple of bags to give them a change and they all started to get very sick. All had diarrhea, vomiting off and on all day and night, pooping in the house which they never did before. Then they didn't hardly move much all day, just wanted to sleep.

I had just switched to the Purina One, I should have stayed with the Fromm. Took the Purina off their diet and back on the Fromm dog food and they are good now.
Posted By: Swifty

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by run
Originally Posted by charles

Sounds good to me.

According to the reported heart disease data in the links, don't feed grain-free dog food or dog food with peas or lentils in it. In other words, to reduce the chance of the heart disease problem, feeding dog food with grain in it is FINE, but be sure it doesn't have peas, lentils, and maybe even potatoes in it.

At least that is how I am intrepreting the data.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 04:25 PM

my daughter was showing me this over the weekend , we use Mounds Dog Power All Life Stages which is not listed

but it is not listed

I checked it's ingredients https://moundspet.com/mounds-brands/dog-power-all-life-stages/ Chicken meal, wheat flour, brewers rice, beet pulp-dried, corn, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), natural flavor, corn gluten meal, menhaden fishmeal, flaxseed, dried brewers yeast, salt, potassium chloride, dried egg product, minerals (zinc sulfate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, calcium carbonate, copper sulfate, sodium selenite, manganous oxide, mineral oil, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate), vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), lactic acid, choline chloride, rosemary extract.

I don't know that you can get it outside of Wis , but the vet likes it and my 12 year old German Shepard , it looks to not have the ingredients it shouldn't have

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 05:01 PM

I bet the same things we eat cause heart disease, potatoes, peas, ?
Posted By: Rick Otts

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 07:26 PM

The Vet said Purina 1 was good and we use it for or Bull Dog I also split it with canned Purina 1 because he is spoiled.
Posted By: Cathouse Jim

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 07:52 PM

We use to feed Blue Buffalo brand to our dog and cats. After the sell out to General Mills, they must have changed something as the dog would barf it up after eating and the cats were yacking everywhere also. We went to Rachael Ray's food as it seems to have some of the better reviews from vets. It is a tragic thing that you can't have any trust in a pet food manufacturer.
Posted By: charles

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/01/19 08:23 PM

Fed my healer Taste of the Wild for about ten years. Died at age 15. Think it was a blood clot. She had a heart murmur her last year and it slowly got worse.

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/02/19 02:02 AM

In this town a feed mill got bought out by Purina, head guy fired the first day, others soon followed, evidently they made dog food there, rumer has it an employee got even with Purina, he put 10x the vitamins or something in the dog food, killed a bunch of expensive bird dogs in ne
I think Purina got sued over it, they have been long gone over 20 years ago
Posted By: Big George W

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/02/19 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Looks like the cheap stuff is better then the spendy stuff!

We were just discussing that at the plant, how the high end food seems to always be on some kind of recall, while Alpo, etc... never seems to be on recall, make you wonder.

My dog rotates between Purina, Blue, + Beyond, no problems and she's now 11 years old.
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/02/19 10:47 AM

We were feeding Taste of the Wild and Blue Buffalo, but lately our German Shepherd was having the runs frequently. I, finally, put her in a people diet of chicken, turkey, burger, peas, sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, carrots and rice. She eats much better, has no digestive issues and it's cheaper than the "premium" brands of dog food.

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/02/19 01:28 PM

The data is lacking that I have seem so far saying Blue Buffalo is this or that is like saying GM has a bad model car but not naming that model!
Posted By: RKH

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/04/19 10:51 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/04/19 11:05 PM

So the lamb and Rice has no rice in it? I doubt that, with so many options the data is lacking they make all kinds of different mixes and cater to several age groups even. It needs to be broken down into the exact product that is a problem or it's just shot gunning the brands listed.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Your dogs food and heart disease - 07/05/19 01:46 AM

I think all these " dog food" threads kinda suck.
Been reading them for YEARS on several forums.
Have known many people that feed the cheapest crap there is and their dogs live long lives.
I DO feed my dog good food but for no other reason than he eats / shats less.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums