Home

Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys

Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/07/19 09:15 PM

Well they changed the timed events competition at the Cheyenne Frontier Days Rodeo and the contestants will have to make 5 runs instead of 3 as in the past.
The top 50 calf ropers in the PRCA as well as some bulldoggers have decided to boycott because of having to make 2 more runs. CFD did add $15,000 to the purse in each event to $65,000 plus day money. The pros say it is too hard, they have to work too much, on them and their horses in the big arena and they will not have time to go to other rodeos to make more money.
They are mad because the CFD and PRCA did not let them have a say in the change and they should have been involved to set how much they would be paid.
Well if you don't win you don't get paid anything. The ropers are complaining about having to work 75 seconds in a week instead of 45. So they will boycott.

If it were not for the PRCA these people would be nothing. My old friend Dan Taylor who was Chute 9 boss at CFD for 49 years is probably turning over in his grave right now.
Posted By: trap master

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/07/19 09:35 PM

as a former bareback rider and toro twister I always new them fellas that worked the other end of the arena were a little soft...lol!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/07/19 09:37 PM

The elites in the the sport have been wining for years about wanting to get paid more and work less. Spoiled pampered princesses in my book, not real cowboys on my book.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/07/19 10:48 PM

I feel like I would be equally entertained watching some of the good ole boys and ranch hands rope and bulldog as I would the best in the world, someones going to take home the money, who cares if its the best in the world or the 51st best.
Posted By: coloradocat

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/07/19 11:07 PM

How many "outs" do the rough stock guys have at CFD?

Im sure they have to cover 1 or 2 head to make it to the short go right?
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 12:38 AM

I would have thought they would be chomping at the bit to have a chance at more money . I hope the officials go on down the roster and allow the guys that haven’t made as much money the chance to catch up. The top 10 or the slowest ten out of fifty would still be good to watch. Might even give someone that had a rough start this spring a chance to get caught up.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
The elites in the the sport have been wining for years about wanting to get paid more and work less. Spoiled pampered princesses in my book, not real cowboys on my book.

Maybe its your turn to take a ride and show us how its done?

Its a free market and people are complaining that some are using leverage to get more. Well let the free market play out. Maybe some broke ranch hands or mexiacns will fill the void and show these guys they over played their hand?
Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor
I feel like I would be equally entertained watching some of the good ole boys and ranch hands rope and bulldog as I would the best in the world, someones going to take home the money, who cares if its the best in the world or the 51st best.

Go to a ranch rodeo.

Way more entertaining.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 01:47 AM

Calgary Stampede is on right now-$2 million in rodeo prizes.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 01:47 AM

Yeah, I remember the movie the cowboy way. laugh

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by Yes sir

Maybe its your turn to take a ride and show us how its done?

Its a free market and people are complaining that some are using leverage to get more. Well let the free market play out. Maybe some broke ranch hands or mexiacns will fill the void and show these guys they over played their hand?

Any time you want to come watch Pike look me up
Posted By: MJM

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Calgary Stampede is on right now-$2 million in rodeo prizes.

I am leaving this morning to the Stampede. The ranch rodeo's I have seen remind me of the Keystone Cops.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

If it were not for the PRCA these people would be nothing. My old friend Dan Taylor who was Chute 9 boss at CFD for 49 years is probably turning over in his grave right now.

Can the inverse be true as well? Where would the PRCA be without the professional riders?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by trap master
as a former bareback rider and toro twister I always new them fellas that worked the other end of the arena were a little soft...lol!

: grin

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Steven 49er
Originally Posted by Cedar Hacker

Can the inverse be true as well? Where would the PRCA be without the professional riders?

For one, it would probably still be the RCA and would more than likely be more popular and draw larger crowds than it does today. An example is the American which is open to the world qualifying, pros and amateurs with a total purse of 2.35 million dollars.
Or how about the World Series of Team Roping whose finals are in Vegas with a purse of more than 12.5 million dollars and has winners in different divisions that not many people have ever heard of.

Remember those hot shots led by Fred Whitfield that formed The Elite Rodeo Tour and lasted about as long as a fart in a whirlwind ?

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 04:56 PM

Those guys deserve to get paid big bucks,in my opinion.Cant see a guy having a very long career doing that without being somewhat disabled in his later years.

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Those guys deserve to get paid big bucks,in my opinion.Cant see a guy having a very long career doing that without being somewhat disabled in his later years.

So what about the working ranch cowboys or the feed lot and conditioning pasture riders that have it a lot rougher and tougher than the professionals ?
Should they get paid the big bucks too ?

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 05:12 PM

No Idea how that works,I just see those guys on TV getting tossed on the ground hard all day.
If its like a sport,it is the guys that fill the seats with paying customers that will get the big money.
The amateur wont get squat compared to the big names in sport that fill the stadiums.

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 05:18 PM

They could of chosen golf if it was too hard for them. With said I've been a rodeo fan and contestant all my life and cowboy and start colts for a living.

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/08/19 05:22 PM

Guess it looks worse on TV than it really is.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Now it's the Pro Rodeo Cowboys - 07/09/19 02:38 AM

"For one, it would probably still be the RCA"

Remember, the RCA started out as the Cowboy Turtle Association, formed when the cowboys boycotted the Boston Garden Rodeo in 1936. Why did they boycott, because of the way things were being run by promoters without any input from the cowboys, sounds kinda like what is happening in Cheyenne.

I'm not comparing conditions/money today to 1936, but anytime the top 50 anybody in any sport agree on anything there just might be something to their concerns.

I am especially suspicious any time a format is changed because “We’ve looked at the market research" as stated by the CFD Rodeo Committee Chairman.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums